A Day In The Bay On The Green Machine

Kat

Hi Kat

Great report - you look like some very happy campers with your Grassy, Greg, and Kat - with your beauty of a cod. How big did it end up measuring? Awesome work!

The ‘Tawny Nurse Shark’ is actually a cat shark - they seem to be quite common. They are supposed to taste good but Brian said the one time he kept one it was still flipping when he filleted it 🤢 

Thanks for the report and a shame about your rod.

Cheers Hamish 

20 minutes ago, Kat said:

I was at Mum's on Macleay Island for the weekend.  Friday night was hot so I turned the ceiling fan on high to cool down. I thought it would be a good idea to pick up my rod to rig up for an early morning fish. Result:

IMG_20201114_160125.thumb.jpg.6491e3f414dcef7138bd828f5763398f.jpg

The weekend was not off to a good start.

By early Saturday evening the weekend had not improved - no keepers and had to trudge around the island with a surf rod (no surf beach in sight).  As I was contemplating the rest of the weekend I got a message from @GregOug asking if I was available to go out on Monday.  I made myself available.

We headed out Monday at about 6am from the Port of Brisbane boat ramp and waited just off the ramp for Greg's mate to arrive and show us a couple of spots for some Grassie Sweetlip.  Greg had been instructed by his mate on the appropriate rig and in turn had passed the info to me.  We were rigged up and ready to go (thanks Greg).  We headed out to Green Island and anchored up alongside his mates boat. 

Greg was almost immediately on with an under about 29cm.  Greg now had the feel for these beauties and was soon on again and shortly landed the first legal fish of the day.  A Grassie Sweetlip 31cm and 463g.  Greg released it to the eskie (as @ellicat would say).

IMG_20201116_070638.thumb.jpg.694ad887700690b39303d0a528fa60f2.jpg

Greg was hooking up and landing every couple of minutes, however, all further Grassies were just shy of legal.  We lost count eventually and I was so busy jumping up and down for the landing net I missed all my chances of hooking one of those beauties (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it).  

Greg also landed what we think is a small Tawny Shark. We released him back to the bay.

IMG_20201116_072741.thumb.jpg.d6142959c91e12c62e609ad0c603f251.jpg

Greg's mate and his deckies were also landing only unders so they decided to head to Mud.  Greg and I stayed a little while longer then packed up, pulled anchor and made our way to Mud.  Of course we passed Greg's mates boat and reached Mud a few minutes before them.   I estimate we got at least 20 min more fishing time.  That Green Machine can fly.

However turns out Greg's lifejacket can also fly.  Luckily his mate lagging behind spotted it and picked it up out of the water. Lol.

At Mud there was a little more traffic and nothing seemed to be showing on the sounder.  We eventually decided on a spot that looked promising.  There were lots of pickers it seems.  Greg landed an ugly unidentified thing.

IMG_20201116_103752.thumb.jpg.41519795c4efcb68b3d8abecf1f38ec7.jpg

Greg had a few promising Grassie runs but didn't hook anything.  Greg obviously chose the right side of the boat again! 

Anyway, I decided to swap rigs as I clearly needed a change in luck or equipment.  I now had my heavy boat rod with my Nasci 2500.  The Nasci was upgraded to 20lb braid (my 10lb was old and failing and @deegee12g had donated some 20lb braid and the heavy boat rod to my growing tackle store).  I had 15lb Fluro leader and a 3.0 octopus hook.  We were getting pickered and seemed to be constantly re-baiting.  I got a couple of tugs that seemed promising but nothing seemed to eventuate.  I waited a minute and decided to check my bait again.  Alas I started winding in the line and appeared to be snagged on the reef.  Oops no maybe a fish?  No fight just heavy unmovable wait - definitely a snag.  Trying my best to free my tackle from the bottom I again felt some movement.  No it is definitely a fish!!  Wow there was some weight to it.  After a nervous few minutes expecting my line to snap any moment I landed my overall personal best - Gold Spotted Estuary Cod.  Greg was there with the landing net and we jumped up and down and high fived and cracked open a beer to celebrate.

IMG_20201116_095838.thumb.jpg.1845dd45808c616258755ac7883b568e.jpg

After releasing him to the Esky (lol), we settled back down to try our luck again.  After another little wait I had felt a few small bites and started winding up to check my bait again - again I felt resistance -  was it a snag?  Movement?  Yes.  This time I recognised the reaction (or inaction) and tightened the drag a little and began to reel him in - a few minutes later I was pausing as I was exhausted, this thing felt like a monster - it was going to be my new PB!!  We could see the join in the braid to leader - he was almost there.  Then snap.  This time it was jumping up and down but no high fives and I can't repeat what I said on this family friendly site.

About this time the wind was up a little and we heard from @ellicat and @Old Scaley so we pulled anchor and went to say hi - hold up our prizes to show each other and headed back to the ramp.

Oh and thanks for the Grassie Greg it tasted fantastic.  Great day out.

Cheers Kat

P.s If anyone is thinking about being deckie for @GregOug think again! The above was all an elaborate untrue story Greg forced me to post.  In reality he treated me like a slave and the day was boring, as usual no fish were landed.  The photos are doctored with the help of Photoshop.

Sounds like a good day out , done well getting some keepers I've been hearing it's hard getting past the pickers

2 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I think the unidentified fish is a stargazer, too.

I don't believe they have any size limit, but bag limit of twenty (they are really rare so unlikely you'd ever catch twenty anyways), and taste really good so if they are big enough I'd be eating it up. Lol 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

4 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Probably the same thing. I call them catsharks.

No looked up both and what Greg caught matches the picture and at least the part of the description I understand of a tawny.  Can't find any pics of cat sharks that are similar looking.  Definitely two different species.  I will have to try and learn the names of the various fins and other parts of the anatomy properly so I can say what is what. 

37 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Congratulations on boating a few, guys. It's nice to hear you got a few. Shame about the one that got away 😞

I think the unidentified fish is a stargazer, too.

Which fish was your favourite to eat, Kat ?

Favourite fish was Grassie.  But out of the six of us that shared the fish as an entree it was 3 for Grassie and 3 for Cod!  Grassie was just a little better than the cod in my opinion but would rather catch a big cod anyway!

3 minutes ago, Kat said:

Favourite fish was Grassie.  But out of the six of us that shared the fish as an entree it was 3 for Grassie and 3 for Cod!  Grassie was just a little better than the cod in my opinion but would rather catch a big cod anyway!

I love cod too Kat - just need to catch one out of semi-decent water instead of the Brisbane River (I wouldn't want to eat one out  of there as there is a good chance it's been in there for it's whole life meaning it may have absorbed some toxins or something of the likes).

Cheers Hamish

20 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I love cod too Kat - just need to catch one out of semi-decent water instead of the Brisbane River (I wouldn't want to eat one out  of there as there is a good chance it's been in there for it's whole life meaning it may have absorbed some toxins or something of the likes).

Cheers Hamish

Really sad to hear.  Contrary to the clean green advertising New Zealand does for it's tourism industry I understand almost all of the rivers in New Zealand are among the most polluted in the world.  A scientist who criticised New Zealand's "pure" advertising campaign came out a number of years ago with the truth.  It is not even safe to swim in NZ's rivers due to pollution.  At least it is not that bad here as long as you don't mind swimming with Bull Sharks lol. Plus the people are nicer and the weather is better  - at least in SE Queensland anyway 😁

Just now, Kat said:

Really sad to hear.  Contrary to the clean green advertising New Zealand does for it's tourism industry I understand almost all of the rivers in New Zealand are among the most polluted in the world.  A scientist who criticised New Zealand's "pure" advertising campaign came out a number of years ago with the truth.  It is not even safe to swim in NZ's rivers due to pollution.  At least it is not that bad here as long as you don't mind swimming with Bull Sharks lol. Plus the people are nicer and the weather is better  - at least in SE Queensland anyway 😁

That is really sad Kat - I always thought New Zealand rivers were clean as!

I'm glad someone came out with the truth, that's for sure. I think a lot of things to do with pollution basically equals the more people, the more polluted.
Cheers Hamish

1 minute ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

That is really sad Kat - I always thought New Zealand rivers were clean as!

I'm glad someone came out with the truth, that's for sure. I think a lot of things to do with pollution basically equals the more people, the more polluted.
Cheers Hamish

I see why you would think that but some places in NZ have very small populations but still pollution.  In my opinion it is always greed of industry - farming, manufacturing etc - they will pollute if the penalties or regulations allow them to - if the fines are less than profit, there is no criminal penalties or the laws/regulations aren't enforced.  Most times it is all three.

2 hours ago, Kat said:

I was at Mum's on Macleay Island for the weekend.  Friday night was hot so I turned the ceiling fan on high to cool down. I thought it would be a good idea to pick up my rod to rig up for an early morning fish. Result:

By early Saturday evening the weekend had not improved - no keepers and had to trudge around the island with a surf rod (no surf beach in sight).  As I was contemplating the rest of the weekend I got a message from @GregOug asking if I was available to go out on Monday.  I made myself available.

We headed out Monday at about 6am from the Port of Brisbane boat ramp and waited just off the ramp for Greg's mate to arrive and show us a couple of spots for some Grassie Sweetlip.  Greg had been instructed by his mate on the appropriate rig and in turn had passed the info to me.  We were rigged up and ready to go (thanks Greg).  We headed out to Green Island and anchored up alongside his mates boat. 

Greg was almost immediately on with an under about 29cm.  Greg now had the feel for these beauties and was soon on again and shortly landed the first legal fish of the day.  A Grassie Sweetlip 31cm and 463g.  Greg released it to the eskie (as @ellicat would say).

IMG_20201116_070638.thumb.jpg.694ad887700690b39303d0a528fa60f2.jpg

Greg was hooking up and landing every couple of minutes, however, all further Grassies were just shy of legal.  We lost count eventually and I was so busy jumping up and down for the landing net I missed all my chances of hooking one of those beauties (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it).  

Greg also landed what we think is a small Tawny Shark. We released him back to the bay.

IMG_20201116_072741.thumb.jpg.d6142959c91e12c62e609ad0c603f251.jpg

Greg's mate and his deckies were also landing only unders so they decided to head to Mud.  Greg and I stayed a little while longer then packed up, pulled anchor and made our way to Mud.  Of course we passed Greg's mates boat and reached Mud a few minutes before them.   I estimate we got at least 20 min more fishing time.  That Green Machine can fly.

However turns out Greg's lifejacket can also fly.  Luckily his mate lagging behind spotted it and picked it up out of the water. Lol.

At Mud there was a little more traffic and nothing seemed to be showing on the sounder.  We eventually decided on a spot that looked promising.  There were lots of pickers it seems.  Greg landed an ugly unidentified thing.

IMG_20201116_103752.thumb.jpg.41519795c4efcb68b3d8abecf1f38ec7.jpg

Greg had a few promising Grassie runs but didn't hook anything.  Greg obviously chose the right side of the boat again! 

Anyway, I decided to swap rigs as I clearly needed a change in luck or equipment.  I now had my heavy boat rod with my Nasci 2500.  The Nasci was upgraded to 20lb braid (my 10lb was old and failing and @deegee12g had donated some 20lb braid and the heavy boat rod to my growing tackle store).  I had 15lb Fluro leader and a 3.0 octopus hook.  We were getting pickered and seemed to be constantly re-baiting.  I got a couple of tugs that seemed promising but nothing seemed to eventuate.  I waited a minute and decided to check my bait again.  Alas I started winding in the line and appeared to be snagged on the reef.  Oops no maybe a fish?  No fight just heavy unmovable wait - definitely a snag.  Trying my best to free my tackle from the bottom I again felt some movement.  No it is definitely a fish!!  Wow there was some weight to it.  After a nervous few minutes expecting my line to snap any moment I landed my overall personal best - Gold Spotted Estuary Cod.  Greg was there with the landing net and we jumped up and down and high fived and cracked open a beer to celebrate.

IMG_20201116_095838.thumb.jpg.1845dd45808c616258755ac7883b568e.jpg

After releasing him to the Esky (lol), we settled back down to try our luck again.  After another little wait I had felt a few small bites and started winding up to check my bait again - again I felt resistance -  was it a snag?  Movement?  Yes.  This time I recognised the reaction (or inaction) and tightened the drag a little and began to reel him in - a few minutes later I was pausing as I was exhausted, this thing felt like a monster - it was going to be my new PB!!  We could see the join in the braid to leader - he was almost there.  Then snap.  This time it was jumping up and down but no high fives and I can't repeat what I said on this family friendly site.

About this time the wind was up a little and we heard from @ellicat and @Old Scaley so we pulled anchor and went to say hi - hold up our prizes to show each other and headed back to the ramp.

Oh and thanks for the Grassie Greg it tasted fantastic.  Great day out.

Cheers Kat

P.s If anyone is thinking about being deckie for @GregOug think again! The above was all an elaborate untrue story Greg forced me to post.  In reality he treated me like a slave and the day was boring, as usual no fish were landed.  The photos are doctored with the help of Photoshop.

Looks like that cod would have put up a fight nice sweetlip to they usually excellent eating . Shame about the rod though that isn’t your newish rod the abu Garcia one right?😳

2 minutes ago, Kat said:

I see why you would think that but some places in NZ have very small populations but still pollution.  In my opinion it is always greed of industry - farming, manufacturing etc - they will pollute if the penalties or regulations allow them to - if the fines are less than profit, there is no criminal penalties or the laws/regulations aren't enforced.  Most times it is all three.

1 minute ago, Kat said:

Oh and forgot some of the biggies - mining, gas and oil.

I wish the whole world could be powered by sustainable energy sources like biomass or solar energy - how good would it be to not need to ship tonnes of coal everywhere and ditch mining all together (but that won't happen until we run out of gas and coal most likely).

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Looks like that cod would have put up a fight nice sweetlip to they usually excellent eating . Shame about the rod though that isn’t your newish rod the abu Garcia one right?😳

Yep!  But I have been given an early Christmas present by my sister in-law in NZ in the form of cash in the bank account and someone else gave me a new estuary spinning rod as well!  An Ecooda Black Hawk 7" 3-5kg. Also @deegee12g is going to try and fix the Abu Garcia.  So now I need a blooming rod holder - when does it end.  I think I need to keep breaking my rods and ruining my reels 😂.  Or get a job...

Oh and no the cod didn't seem to fight - both took the bait without me knowing and seems they sat on the bottom of the reef until I started winding in. Didn't even know they were on. They fought less than any other fish I have caught - I think.  But they were blooming heavy to reel in.  I think Greg said that they open their big mouths and fill with water - and I have read they are like pulling up a bucket of water.  That is true.

1 minute ago, Kat said:

So now I need a blooming rod holder

PVC is the best thing for rod holders - especially if you're fishing in sand.

But I normally don't so I get a big tent peg, tape and cable tie a short length of pipe to it, then hammer it into the ground. It works great and is easy to use.

Cheers Hamish 

1 minute ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

PVC is the best thing for rod holders - especially if you're fishing in sand.

But I normally don't so I get a big tent peg, tape and cable tie a short length of pipe to it, then hammer it into the ground. It works great and is easy to use.

Cheers Hamish 

No I meant a rod stand to store them in - in my room - sorry.

3 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I wish the whole world could be powered by sustainable energy sources like biomass or solar energy - how good would it be to not need to ship tonnes of coal everywhere and ditch mining all together (but that won't happen until we run out of gas and coal most likely).

Cheers Hamish 🙂  .hopefully they ditch mining fracking and similar practices soon hopefully something that’s better like a diamond battery comes out soon . If you don’t know what I mean .recently they have been talking about bringing out a battery that’s made out of nukelur waste and incased in Industrial diamond which is basically cheaper diamond it’s supposed to last over 1000 years but those are just theory’s their doing trails for them now . If they come out solar panels will be nonexistent and it will replace a lot of other forms of energy 

Hii....   In my opinion it is always greed of industry - farming, manufacturing etc - they will pollute if the penalties or regulations allow them to - if the fines are less than profit, there is no criminal penalties or the laws/regulations aren't enforced LEAF SWIVEL-NICKEL PLATED - LEAF SWIVELNP-X.  Most times it is all three beniftes which we try to gain...Fishing is more profitable if our mengment skills are heigh...

congrats on a very successful mission! Shame about the rod mishap - easily fixed just take it into your local tackle shop and they should be able to put a new tip top guide on. Your rod will be a touch shorter but still perfectly functional. 

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/3264

im no good with sharks and rays but I think it could be a bamboo shark which is from a family known commonly as the cat sharks @ellicat 

the other one does look like a stargazer or frogfish I will have to get back to you on that! 

27 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

congrats on a very successful mission! Shame about the rod mishap - easily fixed just take it into your local tackle shop and they should be able to put a new tip top guide on. Your rod will be a touch shorter but still perfectly functional. 

im no good with sharks and rays but I think it could be a bamboo shark which is from a family known commonly as the cat sharks @ellicat 

the other one does look like a stargazer or frogfish I will have to get back to you on that! 

I must admit I thought frogfish when I first saw it.

On 20/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, Kat said:

That really starts off your day in a bad mood, I have only ever broken off one rod due to carelessness, about 40+ years ago when I started making my own rods, one of the first ones I made in fact, I even went so far as making a fancy wrap for it above the top grip, it was a nice light rod for catching bait/whiting/herring,  took over a week for me to make, second time using it and whilst getting it out of the car with the other rods, I left it inside the open door whilst I was taking all the other rods out and moving the other rods  to position them on the jetty, I had to go past the door and so closed it slightly to get past and crack, 1/3rd of the rod at my feet. I just stood there in silence like a stunned mullet marveling at my own stupidity.

Having said that I have never done that again! Lesson learnt,  only other rod I broke was not my fault,  I bought a brand new high graphite content rod, about second cast in and the tip snapped off,  It is only recently (in the last couple of years) that I bought my second high content graphite rod because of that experience (although I hear that it is still a bit of problem nowadays with some brands), all the others have been composites or glass. Once you break your first rod due to a lapse in judgement  it will always be on your mind.

19 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Yep, I'd also say definitely a Bamboo Shark, Andrew.

They are commonly called 'Long-Tailed Catshark' apparently.

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, Ed. said:

That really starts off your day in a bad mood, I have only ever broken off one rod due to carelessness, about 40+ years ago when I started making my own rods, one of the first ones I made in fact, I even went so far as making a fancy wrap for it above the top grip, it was a nice light rod for catching bait/whiting/herring,  took over a week for me to make, second time using it and whilst getting it out of the car with the other rods, I left it inside the open door whilst I was taking all the other rods out and moving the other rods  to position them on the jetty, I had to go past the door and so closed it slightly to get past and crack, 1/3rd of the rod at my feet. I just stood there in silence like a stunned mullet marveling at my own stupidity.

Having said that I have never done that again! Lesson learnt,  only other rod I broke was not my fault,  I bought a brand new high graphite content rod, about second cast in and the tip snapped off,  It is only recently (in the last couple of years) that I bought my second high content graphite rod because of that experience (although I hear that it is still a bit of problem nowadays with some brands), all the others have been composites or glass. Once you break your first rod due to a lapse in judgement  it will always be on your mind.

Yep I totally agree , you never forget breaking rods and it's easy to do ,  my count is up to 4 from ceiling fans , power windows , car doors and presetting the drag while standing under the garage door and the uni knot failed. Having them ripped out of the boat by fish also sucks but we all live and learn.

52 minutes ago, Ed. said:

4 rods??  Apparently not, 🤣🤣🤣🤣, some of us learn faster than others!   Sorry couldn't help myself! but in full disclosure, I came close to a ceiling fan once, but fortunately it wasn't on at the time. 😀

In my defence the ceiling fan incident involved rum as did the uni knot incident the other 2 times it was just clear sober stupidity  . I still have 3 of the rods if you want runners or reel seats for any of your rod building projects all live fibres so all quality fittings.

Thanks for the offer Sneaky1 but I rarely make rods anymore as I have now 20 of them, occasionally I will redo a rod with guides but I generally switch them over to SiC ones, I bought a heap of them many years ago and almost down to having enough just to redo one more full rod, and that will be my last one, (unless I stick one in a fan! 🤣)  I also must stay away from Rum!.

I still have a 37kg Ugly Stik which I bought and not happy with the existing guides on it,  however someone else may take you up on your generous offer.

28 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Thanks for the offer Skeaky1 but I rarely make rods anymore as I have now 20 of them, occasionally I will redo a rod with guides but I generally switch them over to SiC ones, I bought a heap of them many years ago and almost down to having enough just to redo one more full rod, and that will be my last one, (unless I stick one in a fan! 🤣)  I also must stay away from Rum!.

I still have a 37kg Ugly Stik which I bought and not happy with the existing guides on it,  however someone else may take you up on your generous offer.

Yes Ed stay away from rum it always seems to silence the voices of reason and logic in my head . Speaking of ugly stiks have you looked at the new models. Brad passed one to me in allround angler the other day it made me feel a bit dirty holding another brand ,  but I'm sure loyal  ugly stik army of fisho's are going to love them . He's bringing in his Dobbyns for me to have a look at but I'm pretty sure I will walk out with another blade and tails I  can't budge on the live fibre thing they have never let me down.

1 hour ago, Sneaky1 said:

Yes Ed stay away from rum it always seems to silence the voices of reason and logic in my head . Speaking of ugly stiks have you looked at the new models. Brad passed one to me in allround angler the other day it made me feel a bit dirty holding another brand ,  but I'm sure loyal  ugly stik army of fisho's are going to love them . He's bringing in his Dobbyns for me to have a look at but I'm pretty sure I will walk out with another blade and tails I  can't budge on the live fibre thing they have never let me down.

Speaking of Rum have you tried Ratu rum? it is a spiced rum and quite nice.

Back to rods, I haven't looked at the new Ugly's yet, I know that they are available but I try not to spend too much time in the rod racks as I know what will happen, I will walk out with another after spending 20 minutes  justifying to myself why that would be a good idea and I really, really do not need any more rods or reels for that matter! ....... I think? 🤔.