Rod Suggestions For Barra King Size 55

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

So my Dad's Barra King reel Size 55 has been for it's service, drag upgrade, and now I think it's time I start using it a bit more. We have the reel (about to collect), which is ideal for live baiting or bait fishing in general as it has a ratchet, meaning it's got the lovely option where you can click a button to get an awesome sound and then get to your proper drag when fishing/landing something, but my dilemma is now that I have no rod for it.

The original rod my Dad bought for it was an Ugly Stik, but it's aged enough and is now more of an antique (he got to watch his mates catch barra but he never got barra 😞). There are a couple rods I thought of - the first option that came to mind might be a Live Fibre rod - @Sneaky1 if there's one you could recommend in the 8-15KG range then that would be great. I have my eyes on the RLF9 if anyone's ever heard of that one.

Ideally the rod will have enough whip for a decent cast with a relatively heavy lure (say a soft vibe or big hardbody) but it has enough butt strength in it that it won't go like a bloody strand of spaghetti when pulling up an OK fish. I know that might be a bit too much to ask in a rod but I'm not sure. My price range is probably $200-$300, but if you really think I could spend more/my dad could spend more then that may be an option.

Any more questions about it, ask away... But I would really love to hear some suggestions.

Cheers Hamish

The live fibre rod sounds great but a couple of the high end Wilson rods have amazing strength and are probably somewhat similar but the atomic arrows range have rods that would be suited for that applications . All the arrows rods have excellent pulling power even the bream surface rod has excellent pulling power . I know a fair few people use these rods for jacks and Barra they have quite a few overhead and bait casting rods and a tone of spin models

16 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

So my Dad's Barra King reel Size 55 has been for it's service, drag upgrade, and now I think it's time I start using it a bit more. We have the reel (about to collect), which is ideal for live baiting or bait fishing in general as it has a ratchet, meaning it's got the lovely option where you can click a button to get an awesome sound and then get to your proper drag when fishing/landing something, but my dilemma is now that I have no rod for it.

The original rod my Dad bought for it was an Ugly Stik, but it's aged enough and is now more of an antique (he got to watch his mates catch barra but he never got barra 😞). There are a couple rods I thought of - the first option that came to mind might be a Live Fibre rod - @Sneaky1 if there's one you could recommend in the 8-15KG range then that would be great. I have my eyes on the RLF9 if anyone's ever heard of that one.

Ideally the rod will have enough whip for a decent cast with a relatively heavy lure (say a soft vibe or big hardbody) but it has enough butt strength in it that it won't go like a bloody strand of spaghetti when pulling up an OK fish. I know that might be a bit too much to ask in a rod but I'm not sure. My price range is probably $200-$300, but if you really think I could spend more/my dad could spend more then that may be an option.

Any more questions about it, ask away... But I would really love to hear some suggestions.

Cheers Hamish

Gday Hamish

Are you talking about an Abu barra king ? Best thing to do is take the reel into the tackle shop and match it to a rod check it for balance and comfort , you don't want to break your dad's arm by casting a heavy rod all day. The new base model live fibres have a bit of weight to them a good one to try the barra king on would be the 20 to 40lb blade and tails very light and feel nice and at $250 still inside your budget. I havnt caught massive barra my pb is 102cm at the Gladstone power station but true to their form the live fibre just nailed him

38 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

The live fibre rod sounds great but a couple of the high end Wilson rods have amazing strength and are probably somewhat similar but the atomic arrows range have rods that would be suited for that applications . All the arrows rods have excellent pulling power even the bream surface rod has excellent pulling power . I know a fair few people use these rods for jacks and Barra they have quite a few overhead and bait casting rods and a tone of spin models

Thanks BwB, I'll look into them further. If I'm honest I want the rod to be quite stiff so it can really yank fish up out of snags. 

30 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I also forget to add the atomic arrows bait caster rods start from roughly around 6lb all the way up to around 80lb and are all one piece models range from 5 foot 6 to 6 foot . And like all atomic rods have strong beautiful light blanks and excellent reel seats 

That sounds nice, I will certainly be considering them. Just need to figure out what the best option would be.

37 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Gday Hamish

Are you talking about an Abu barra king ? Best thing to do is take the reel into the tackle shop and match it to a rod check it for balance and comfort , you don't want to break your dad's arm by casting a heavy rod all day. The new base model live fibres have a bit of weight to them a good one to try the barra king on would be the 20 to 40lb blade and tails very light and feel nice and at $250 still inside your budget. I havnt caught massive barra my pb is 102cm at the Gladstone power station but true to their form the live fibre just nailed him

He Sneaky

Yep, that's the one! Thanks for the tip, I think I'll have to do that before I purchase anything. 

102cm is still bloody massive. 

Cheers Hamish

Just now, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks BwB, I'll look into them further. If I'm honest I want the rod to be quite stiff so it can really yank fish up out of snags. 

That sounds nice, I will certainly be considering them. Just need to figure out what the best option would be.

He Sneaky

Yep, that's the one! Thanks for the tip, I think I'll have to do that before I purchase anything. 

102cm is still bloody massive. 

Cheers Hamish

No 102cm isn't that rare but a mate got dragged around in his kayak at monduran and landed one that went 127cm

1 minute ago, Sneaky1 said:

No 102cm isn't that rare but a mate got dragged around in his kayak at monduran and landed one that went 127cm

Well, to someone who's PB is about 60cm from Bli Bli, it kind of is! Haha. 127cm is a serious stonka!!!

I'd love to get dragged around in the yak by a barra. Or any fish in fact. The only fish that's ever dragged me and Dad around in the yak was a bloody catfish 😞 

Cheers Hamish

Just now, Sneaky1 said:

If you guys ever end up around Gladstone give me a yell and I will tell you some good spots to try 

I'm going up to Yeppoon this hols to visit my Grandma and Uncle (who has a tinny but I doubt would be keen to go far away as it is a big hassle and we all have good fun in the harbour fishing together off the old fishing boat he owns because my family on my Mum's side used to be commercial fisherman out on the reefs but all retired years ago) so I guess we relatively close but still a solid hour and a half away.

Cheers Hamish

14 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Also, thanks for the offer Sneaky. You are a legend! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Yepoon wow , good fishing up that way wasn't that long ago Nigel Webster and Jason Kennedy were chasing threadies and barra out of the Fitzroy. Good luck when you go up for holidays champ , hope you show those fish who's boss

1 minute ago, Sneaky1 said:

Yepoon wow , good fishing up that way wasn't that long ago Nigel Webster and Jason Kennedy were chasing threadies and barra out of the Fitzroy. Good luck when you go up for holidays champ , hope you show those fish who's boss

Thanks Sneaky, normally our catching is only limited to bream, batfish, cod, or smaller species as we normally hook up to the salmon or silver fish on the light line which busts us off easily. 

Hopefully this time will be different!

Cheers Hamish

On 20/11/2020 at 9:58 PM, Junky said:

Something from Ugly stik. 

Good solid rod that cops a beating. 

On 20/11/2020 at 10:01 PM, Breaming with bro said:

I think hamish was after a strong sturdy graphite rod not a fibreglass rod. That’s what I thought anyway cause he already had a old ugly stik 

Hey Junky and BwB

Yep, an Ugly Stik could be a possibility. The only problem I found with them with the other one my dad had was that it was way to stiff to cast far or accurate... If it feels nice in the shop though, it is certainly a possibility 🙂 

Cheers Hamish