Rod And Reel Repairs

GregOug

Hi all,

I have a favourite old rod which needs the reel seat securing to the blank. It turns around when it shouldn’t and misaligns the runners with the reel. I also have an Alvey 725 deep sea snapper reel which I dropped ages ago and needs a section of the fibreglass repaired. Any suggestions on a good repairer who’s not too dear, preferably Northside?

cheers

Greg

Hi Greg

I can't help you with personal experience with rod repairs, but I'll try and find some links later.

For your reel, D and H reel repairs is who I'd go to (Duncan). I seem to remember he is in Viccy Point but for some reason Google says he is in Capalaba. 

I have some of my reels in there right now - he is a very nice guy and was willing for a chat when I was in there. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

I have a vague recollection that there is a rod builder/repairer ? in the Scarborough area, I know he builds rods but not certain if he also repairs them, I would imagine that he would though. I bought some rod parts from him  many years ago  and as he was quite old then I am not sure if he is still doing it. I also think that there was a small shop opposite the Bribie Island VMR that also did rod repairs. and lastly Phil at the Bongaree tackle and bike  store may also do some repairs.

The reel seat may be quite hard to fix depending on how it was originally glued. When I do mine, I do a set of thin rings made from masking tape, then cut out some slits in them, cover with epoxy and slide the seat down, any trapped air and excess resin will ooze out of the slits and get wiped away, then the top grip get pushed down from the tip  over wet epoxy and the whole lot sets,  so effectively the slits gets filled  with epoxy and forms a solid plug binding the seat and blank together. To fix a loose seat you will have to get some epoxy between the two for it to grip again. The masking tape rings are there just to keep an even spacing between the seat and the blank, to do it properly the blank in that area needed to to be lightly sanded down first when the rod was first made.

That area may be completely filled with epoxy so you may not be able to get any more  thick epoxy in there. If that is the case you might be able to flood the area where the reel seat touches the lower or top grips with super glue and as it is quite thin it may seep down to where it is needed and bind the two together, you can tell if it is going down as it will keep disappearing from where you are squeezing it on. If it does then give the real seat a couple of quick partial turns or move it up and down slightly before the super glue sets and leave in position. If the super glue is still disappearing,  then once the seat is in the right position, give it some more glue and let it set. Just a suggestion!

2 hours ago, Ed. said:

I have a vague recollection that there is a rod builder/repairer ? in the Scarborough area, I know he builds rods but not certain if he also repairs them, I would imagine that he would though. I bought some rod parts from him  many years ago  and as he was quite old then I am not sure if he is still doing it. I also think that there was a small shop opposite the Bribie Island VMR that also did rod repairs. and lastly Phil at the Bongaree tackle and bike  store may also do some repairs.

The reel seat may be quite hard to fix depending on how it was originally glued. When I do mine, I do a set of thin rings made from masking tape, then cut out some slits in them, cover with epoxy and slide the seat down, any trapped air and excess resin will ooze out of the slits and get wiped away, then the top grip get pushed down from the tip  over wet epoxy and the whole lot sets,  so effectively the slits gets filled  with epoxy and forms a solid plug binding the seat and blank together. To fix a loose seat you will have to get some epoxy between the two for it to grip again. The masking tape rings are there just to keep an even spacing between the seat and the blank, to do it properly the blank in that area needed to to be lightly sanded down first when the rod was first made.

That area may be completely filled with epoxy so you may not be able to get any more  thick epoxy in there. If that is the case you might be able to flood the area where the reel seat touches the lower or top grips with super glue and as it is quite thin it may seep down to where it is needed and bind the two together, you can tell if it is going down as it will keep disappearing from where you are squeezing it on. If it does then give the real seat a couple of quick partial turns or move it up and down slightly before the super glue sets and leave in position. If the super glue is still disappearing,  then once the seat is in the right position, give it some more glue and let it set. Just a suggestion!

Thanks ED. Much appreciated.