Yewgary Or Jewgary?

Andrew_P

Good work.

You can get an aluminium plate that goes between the actual transducer and the transducer bracket. This will stop the water splashing up over the motor. 

I just make my own. 

I'll put a pick up this arvo when I get home. Very simple to make. Happy to knock one up for you if you can't find one.

In my opinion it its way too low,  drill a couple of holes above where it is and reposition, I think that the bottom of the transducer should be about 6-8mm just below the top of the tinnies tunnel in between the 2 strakes and just slightly inclined., hard too tell from the pics but I would say it could go up 30-50mm. Tinnies are hard to position the transducer well because of the large number of closely placed hull strakes, so any air that goes under the hull gets funneled along to the transducer which interferes with the signal and creates noise on the screen.

Nice fish @Andrew_P. Honestly mate, get yourself one of these https://www.bcf.com.au/p/bla-flat-transducer-bracket-small/115524.html. That way you only have to drill holes once and you make your adjustments on the water. Simple, cheap and effective. You can get them at any boating store for about $20.

1 hour ago, Andrew_P said:

Thanks @Junky  so is it different to the transducer mounting plate I already have?

all the info I’ve read points to the transducer being too low - easily adjusted by lifting the bracket 

39B2DE3B-ABD6-4391-91D9-D88C1EBE33EE.jpeg

EB675A47-605A-473C-93D7-B301A06793E8.jpeg

Yeah mate. Different. 

It is actually a water deflector that sits above the transducer and deflects water back down. 

20201125_084054.jpg.9da82d38afe2345c4366ef52fe4c3e41.jpg

This is my boat.

I have made a few like this for garmin units.

You can see the piece of alloy between the black transducer and the stainless bracket.

Resized_20190904_172253.thumb.jpeg.31d9ec01e49b49322836ec73b0bfc75f.jpeg

You will need something like this. 

1109612687_Screenshot_20201125-085049_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a6feb2a1c714596cb457fae62795351c.jpg

Or check with the brand you have, they may sell them. 

As for the transducer. 

It looks way to low. They're skimmers, not submarines. 

This is the height to set it at and make sure it is in between the lift streaks. 

9419.thumb.jpeg.6b9e422680951db657165228b04c0a77.jpeg

Then have the rear just slightly down. 

As you drive through the water the transducer will flex up a little. By having it slightly pointing down at the rear you will allow for the flex and still read the bottom when underway.

Otherwise if it's dead level it will flex up at rear when underway and bubbles will form because the front is lower. Then you won't read the bottom clearly when underway. 

Just use a straight edge to check the angle. 

20181214_185609.thumb.jpeg.f4b768ea1fdcf90053e94e08b8531240.jpeg

1 hour ago, Junky said:

As for the transducer. 

It looks way to low. They're skimmers, not submarines. 

This is the height to set it at and make sure it is in between the lift streaks. 

9419.thumb.jpeg.6b9e422680951db657165228b04c0a77.jpeg

Then have the rear just slightly down. 

As you drive through the water the transducer will flex up a little. By having it slightly pointing down at the rear you will allow for the flex and still read the bottom when underway.

Otherwise if it's dead level it will flex up at rear when underway and bubbles will form because the front is lower. Then you won't read the bottom clearly when underway. 

Just use a straight edge to check the angle. 

20181214_185609.thumb.jpeg.f4b768ea1fdcf90053e94e08b8531240.jpeg

Excellent info and drawings thanks @Junky!

I will lift the transducer to be in line with the bottom of the hull between the strakes - hard to tell from the pics but it is positioned between the strakes. i had mistakenly lined it up with the bottom of the strakes rather than the hull...so it is definitely a submarine!

I am confident that when i lift it i can get it reading at speed, but if i cant it is good to know about the off the shelf product to fix the problem.

I'm cruising around at 18-20knots with 2 aboard so being able to keep the bottom at that speed would be great. When sounding spots off the plane the image is faultless.

cheers for all the tips!

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Wow looks like you had a great day.  Cod and Jew!  Now I can't wait to go there again on Thursday with @deegee12g!

Is the tuff prawn a soft plastic? What was your setup?

Cheers Katrina

Hi @Kat i was using 2 setups - a dobyns fury 703SF and shimano sustain 4000 spinning reel with 15lb braid and 20lb leader (got the jew on this) and a G loomis GL2 with shimano curado 200E5 baitcaster also 15lb braid and 20lb leader (cod). These are mid range setups but there is no reason that a cheaper 7ft 4-7kg graphite rod and reel like a shimano sienna 4000 wouldnt do the same job for around $150 new or under $100 second hand.

The tuff prawn is a soft plastic from Shads. They are local boys and have their products in lots of local tackle shops (but not the Big Chain Fellas)

http://shadslures.com/category_12/-TUFF-PRAWN-LURES.htm

Heres a link to a cheap rod stand:

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/jarvis-walker-rod-storage-stand/1321814

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Looks like it was a good day, showing the girl how it's done. Did she want to have 'just one more cast' ? If so, you will be forgiven evermore for being late home. haha

nah mate she wanted to get home before she lost all of my lures. fortunately she comes from a long line of fishing tragics including her brother and late father. she always adds 2 hours on to every ETR!

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

@Andrew_P, what transducer do you have? If it is a Garmin I have a brand new unused Garmin spray deflector that you are welcome to have. I bought it without checking and my transducer has a built in deflector so it is surplus to my requirements.

Hey mate it’s a lowrance. Thanks for the offer 🙏🏼