Where To Catch Ling Fish - Melbourne

Elly31

I am trying to chase the very difficult fish to catch, as people rarely target them.  I am only interested in landbased fishing.

The difficult part about it is that it has several names and I have lost track which is the most accurate, I am not after pink ling, I am after the common ling fish

that is sort of blue coloured.  If I am able to catch the pink ling land based in melbourne, then I would gladly do that.

Can anyone please give me some locations where I can have some luck in catching one of these?

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, Elly31 said:

I am trying to chase the very difficult fish to catch, as people rarely target them.  I am only interested in landbased fishing.

The difficult part about it is that it has several names and I have lost track which is the most accurate, I am not after pink ling, I am after the common ling fish

that is sort of blue coloured.  If I am able to catch the pink ling land based in melbourne, then I would gladly do that.

Can anyone please give me some locations where I can have some luck in catching one of these?

Thank you.

I think breakwalls and jetties will be you’re best bet 

8 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I think they are called Hairtail in nsw and they are often found around breakwalls at night they often take hardbodies meant for jewfish or tailor I don’t know any landbased spots around Melbourne but I do know they are easiest to catch at night around breakwalls or any long heavy structure I’ve heard people catch them a lot on live yellowtail meant for other fish hope that helps

Thank you for the reply, I looked up Hairtail and it looks nothing like this fish, let me attach a photo for your reference.

Ling_web.jpg

3 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah I released that and re-edited my reply I think breakwalls and jetties at night will be best bet for these ling fish hope that helps

Yeah I have been targeting them at night, my only issue is fishing locations haha, even if you try searching online not many people mention it

Gidday Elli 31. When I was soldier a lot of years ago now one of the bases I was stationed at was Balcombe army camp. We used to fish off the rocks at Mount Martha and got a lot of Ling fishing at night. We fished with Bonito as we were after snapper but got ling. It may still fish like it did years ago.. All the best

15 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Elly31

I'm no expert but after I quick google search, I found that only juvenile ling fish stay in shallower/coastal waters - larger ones inhabit waters out offshore. 

Judging by that, you may have your best results fishing off piers or wharfs where they can live under structure.

CHeers Hamish

Yes that is correct, I have been trying out piers, not too sure which wharfs to fish at though.

Do you have any location suggestions?