Hello World

Skipsy

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

G'day Skipsy

Welcome! I hope you can hook up to some bigguns. We love a report on here too, even if it's not the most eventful session 🙂 

The Brisbane River has lots of fish too, as well as the bay 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Thanks Hamish.  Yes I've seen some of the videos.  

Would be especially nice to hook into one of those big threadfin salmon.  Is that what the little one is holding in your ID photo?  

Is it OK to eat the salmon, bream etc coming out of the river?

Just now, Skipsy said:

Thanks Hamish.  Yes I've seen some of the videos.  

Would be especially nice to hook into one of those big threadfin salmon.  Is that what the little one is holding in your ID photo?  

Is it OK to eat the salmon, bream etc coming out of the river?

Hey Skipsy

Yeah, that would be nice - I'm holding a 74cm one (in my profile and on my profile page it is a 51cm one), so not a bad size (probably around the average size in the river). Keep in mind legal threadfin size limit in QLD is 65cm 🙂 

What I heard is that the longer the fish is been in there the worse it may be - so a small bull shark or bream will be fine to eat as it hasn't been in there long, but a big cod for example may have some toxins in it as it's been in the river for ages. 

I think most places are safe to eat. It comes down to personal preference. Just don't eat out of Oxley Creek as that's supposed to have the highest pollution in the state.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

16 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Skipsy

Yeah, that would be nice - I'm holding a 74cm one (in my profile and on my profile page it is a 51cm one), so not a bad size (probably around the average size in the river). Keep in mind legal threadfin size limit in QLD is 65cm 🙂 

What I heard is that the longer the fish is been in there the worse it may be - so a small bull shark or bream will be fine to eat as it hasn't been in there long, but a big cod for example may have some toxins in it as it's been in the river for ages. 

I think most places are safe to eat. It comes down to personal preference. Just don't eat out of Oxley Creek as that's supposed to have the highest pollution in the state.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Nice work Hamish, they are impressive fish.  Yes, I think toxins get accumulated as the fish ages, and as you go up the food chain to the top predators.

An old fisho I knew up at Gladstone was good at catching Spanish mackerel.  He had a saying about eating only the "smaller" reef fish to avoid ciguatera poisoning... "If its shorter than your arm, it'll do you no harm".  

8 hours ago, Skipsy said:

Nice work Hamish, they are impressive fish.  Yes, I think toxins get accumulated as the fish ages, and as you go up the food chain to the top predators.

An old fisho I knew up at Gladstone was good at catching Spanish mackerel.  He had a saying about eating only the "smaller" reef fish to avoid ciguatera poisoning... "If its shorter than your arm, it'll do you no harm".  

Hey Skipsy

Yep, that's correct (I'd say). 

Big Coral Trout get lots of Ciguatera, as well as mackerel, but no Brisbane River fish get it. I know plenty of people who have eaten fish (from the river) and been fine so it shouldn't effect you if you choose to keep one.

Cheers Hamish

On 04/12/2020 at 7:07 AM, Drop Bear said:

"If you catch it on whole chook, it'll look good on facebook"

🤣

Hey Skipsy,

Welcome to the forum. 

Brisbane river is a lot cleaner these days and plenty of people eat out of it. 

Thanks for the welcome Bear.

My boys are usually keen for a fishing session and the river is the closest spot, so we'll be giving it a go over the holidays.