Has Anyone Used A Quantum Cabo 120 Reel?

Ed.

Thinking about getting a big Quantum Cabo 120 spinning reel, don't really need it but as X'Mas is coming up fast I thought I wouldn't mind having a big spinning reel, and my darling wife is going to get me one for X'Mas but she doesn't know it yet! 🤣

Does anyone here have one or used one, and what were your thoughts regarding it? They seem to have enough grunt and reasonably built, I can't justify getting one of the big brand reels at 2 to 4 times the price of these, seeing as it will only ever be used in a blue moon!

Thoughts anyone....Good, bad or indifferent?

Cheers

Ed.

What's your application for it mate? I have a few mates that run Cabos for GT casting etc but the 120 is a huge reel. The 80 is what my mates use for GT stuff generally as your arm would fall off casting a 120 all day 😂 Otherwise value for money they seem like a good option, especially if its not being used every second day

Same, casting for GT's using large poppers, thinking about a trip north  in the new year, I normally would not use it for more than an hour or two as if no fish then would try something different such as troll, lure or bait and I have other reels for that. As for the size, seems like very few stores have them in stock so can't get to see one physically to judge the size. From what I gather, the 100 and the 120 are the same body just a different spool but those are built different to the 60 and 80 sized reels.

22 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Same, casting for GT's using large poppers, thinking about a trip north  in the new year, I normally would not use it for more than an hour or two as if no fish then would try something different such as troll, lure or bait and I have other reels for that. As for the size, seems like very few stores have them in stock so can't get to see one physically to judge the size. From what I gather, the 100 and the 120 are the same body just a different spool but those are built different to the 60 and 80 sized reels.

From what I’ve heard from quantum it’s been all negative. I’m pretty sure they use zinc as their main gears that mates with a brass pinion gear. So idk how the long the gear teeth will last I know they use good grease in their reels. I think the sealing is pretty average nothing special but from what I’ve heard I would never buy a spinning quantum reel . For me the only spinning reels I would buy are from shimano daiwa and possibly VAN STALL probably not penn because their drive gears in their below $200 spin reels are garbage I’ve heard sometimes the gear teeth snap because they are made out of cheap zinc . Overall I prefer Shimano’s reels because they seem to have the best gearing and overall refinement 

The 60/80 size versions are built different from the 100/120, the bigger sizes have a brass pinion and a stainless main gear so shouldn't have any problems with the gear teeth breaking. That link that Old Scaley posted above is what I based my desire to get one. Whilst I appreciate it is a lower cost reel and is less refined than the top tier reels, it still should do the job, and it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get one.

Which is where my problem lies I can't get a look at one to judge just how big it is as there seems to be a shortage of them, and that is why I asked has anyone here used the larger sized models and how they found them in use or are they just too big or any other issues that they have found.

Reviews are one thing but getting one in the hand is another! I will do a ring around and see if anyone has them in stock.

Looks like I will have to rule out the Cabo 100/120 as the cost will be too high to import one and there won't be any support or parts available here in Oz should they be necessary, I most likely will settle for a Penn Spinfisher SSVI8500LL or SSVI8500/9500, the Slammer 3 version sounds good but it is almost double the price so finances may dictate which one to get.

Cheers

Ed.

7 hours ago, Ed. said:

Looks like I will have to rule out the Cabo 100/120 as the cost will be too high to import one and there won't be any support or parts available here in Oz should they be necessary, I most likely will settle for a Penn Spinfisher SSVI8500LL or SSVI8500/9500, the Slammer 3 version sounds good but it is almost double the price so finances may dictate which one to get.

Cheers

Ed.

Keep selling those orchids Ed.

23 hours ago, Ed. said:

Thinking about getting a big Quantum Cabo 120 spinning reel, don't really need it but as X'Mas is coming up fast I thought I wouldn't mind having a big spinning reel, and my darling wife is going to get me one for X'Mas but she doesn't know it yet! 🤣

Does anyone here have one or used one, and what were your thoughts regarding it? They seem to have enough grunt and reasonably built, I can't justify getting one of the big brand reels at 2 to 4 times the price of these, seeing as it will only ever be used in a blue moon!

Thoughts anyone....Good, bad or indifferent?

Cheers

Ed.

I know 4 or 5 different blokes that have quantum reels and none of them have said anything bad, not sure which models they are using , but quantum seem to have a good name. 

3 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Wow really I’ve only ever heard negative 

Yeah Chris got a couple of longtails up towards the 20kg mark with me earlier in the year it seemed to handle them ok. If something is weak it won't take long for an angry longtail to find it.

6 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Yeah Chris got a couple of longtails up towards the 20kg mark with me earlier in the year it seemed to handle them ok. If something is weak it won't take long for an angry longtail to find it.

Wow that’s crazy though at their price points I would would rather get a Stradic 5000 or something but I will definitely be looking into them now

8 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Wow that’s crazy though at their price points I would would rather get a Stradic 5000 or something but I will definitely be looking into them now

The Penn spinfisher are also reasonably priced and will take a beating. The down side with the Penn is the weight. I got my wife the 6500 spinfisher , great reel but whingey wife says it's heavy and confiscates my bio master

18 hours ago, GregOug said:

Keep selling those orchids Ed.

Don't have any more, I just finished dismantling the greenhouse abut 10 days ago. The 50m3 of dirt to cover the site which  I was supposed to get on the 25th didn't pan out so need to chase up another supplier soonish.

I am off to the gym this morning and after that I might pop in and see if Outback Adventures have a Penn SSVI8500ll with my name on it. 😉