Whiting Set Up

11 minutes ago, bulldogs195461 said:

I'm trying to get into a whiting set up from my kayak, mostly walking the flats, using yabbies etc I've only really used sp, but not targeted whiting, I wanted to run fluro right through really light say 4lbs, but thought I'm probably better with say 6,lb braid with 4 lb leader as then when not targeting say whiting, that rod is still good for flatties etc. I've looked at YouTube Vids, I see youngy uses mono all the way through, just wondering if others have done this type of fishing there thoughts, the areas I'd fish would be yabbie banks like the gc broad water, cheers again 

Generally if you’re just using bait .straight through mono should be fine. But be warned if you hook a decent flathead on 4lb leader and it swallows the bait you have to be extremely lucky and skilled to landed it . My PB flathead I got on a plastic swallowed the lure right down and I had 6lb fluorocarbon leader and managed to land it but I was very lucky and it was very tricky to land without it rubbing the leader luckily I did land it and it also did help I was using top quality fluorocarbon and I have decent fish fighting technique the flathead was 57cm btw

If you are bait fishing for whiting I would strongly recommend mono all the way. I don't see there is an advantage to having braid and having to do the braid knots. This way you can tie a yabby straight onto a hook, no sinker or swivel and you are fishing. 

6lb is light enough. If you go any lighter you will loose a few fish especially flathead and the odd trevally. Personally I would go to 8lb as I don't think it makes that much difference when you are flicking out yabbies but I will leave that to you. I used to fish 4lb for whiting. It is a lot nicer to use but as I got older I find the knots very hard to get perfect. It is very very nice to use ultra light line so if you don't mind loosing flathead I would understand you going a lot lighter. So much fun walking the flats picking up horse whiting, enjoy. 

3 hours ago, bulldogs195461 said:

Thanks guys, very informative. Yes I tried this fishing and loved it, mono sounds the go, plus I can use it to throw a top body lure, which I want to try, what's a good quality mono guys, cheers again john

I know some people might disagree with me but kastking mono is a excellent no fuss mono it’s strong and fairly abrasion resistant and it’s cheap it also doesn’t have memory issues. On the other hand I tried their fluorocarbon and it’s $H&@ . Also pryml mono is a bit more expensive but it’s super soft and nice to fish with other then that there is UNITIKA mono which is the best of the best mono you can buy it’s super expensive and it always sells out everywhere .besides one of my local tackle shops . If you can get your hands on UNITIKA trout clear that is the hands down best mono you can find . Super abrasion resistant to a lot more abrasion resistance then most mono’s and FC lines and it’s super thin everything about it is good 10/10 . Also the mono’s I don’t like is Berkey trilene I just find it’s a little bit thicker then most monos and isn’t as abrasion resistance to other then that it’s fine . Jarvis walker and mustad and rogue mono I don’t like because they are all super thick compared to other brands and also have heaps of memory . So in conclusion I would go with UNITIKA trout clear but if you can’t get that pryml mono will do the job well

Kat, I'll certainly be do a report, I'd never done whiting before till I took a disability client to the broadwater on a Brad smith fishing charter two weeks ago, we used straight though fluro carbon, 2lb and used yabbies as bait, it was brilliant and worked well, great in fact. So I thought if I ran mono all the way through 4lb,i can try top water lures as well straight to the mono. I'll just get on my kayak and then wade the flats. That's my plan, but there's so many set ups you can use, I'm trying to keep it simple. My usual fishing is after flatties with sp, which I run braid, fluro leader etc. So this is new, it was great fun I'd never got yabbies before either, so got a pump for that, just shows you can teach an old dog new tricks lol. Cheers guys