The Drop Bears mighty Port Douglas Adventure

Drop Bear

Ok so I nearly hijacked a thread.

We are heading to Port Douglas in April for a few days next year. 

I love to dream about the adventures ahead and wanted to know if anyone had some secret tips on where I could wet a line?

Last time I was there I just threw a few lures in the river with not much success. I went around to some ponds I saw on Google Earth but couldn't raise a scale. 

I wonder if anyone would let me know where I could try. 

I would like to flick for some JPs and perhaps sooties as well as wondering if it was worth pinging out some top water lures on the main beach flats? 

I have pretty much all fishing options open to me in terms of gear and lures so let fly with some advice...  Please 🙂

52 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I love to dream about the adventures ahead and wanted to know if anyone had some secret tips on where I could wet a line?

Last time I was there I just threw a few lures in the river with not much success. I went around to some ponds I saw on Google Earth but couldn't raise a scale. 

I would like to flick for some JPs and perhaps sooties as well as wondering if it was worth pinging out some top water lures on the main beach flats? 

I have pretty much all fishing options open to me in terms of gear and lures so let fly with some advice...  Please 🙂

G'day Drop Bear I have a mate (Blake) lives a few minutes out of port Douglas we used to work on the drill rigs together (top bloke ) fishes for soothes quite a bit but has never mentioned Jo's . I can pass his number on if you want he 's very relaxed for a former rig pig

6 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

G'day Drop Bear I have a mate (Blake) lives a few minutes out of port Douglas we used to work on the drill rigs together (top bloke ) fishes for soothes quite a bit but has never mentioned Jo's . I can pass his number on if you want he 's very relaxed for a former rig pig

Sounds great. If he is keen for a fishing buddy around then I would love to tag along. 

11 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

It was early morning. The little platform is actually locked off to stop people mooring boats there but all the locals go down there. I just walked down there and cast dead under the jetty. Caught way too many fish and ended up freezing bucketloads of them. 

When I was there in Feb it was too shallow under the jetty. Probably only 1m deep at best. 

I will try and find some other jetty options for a bit of fun. Thanks

15 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I caught a nice jack off the rocks on the left along the main beach a few years ago Robbie. Was up there for a mates wedding and had a spare arvo so just bought a cheap handline with some bait.  So didn't throw it out too far - it would be worth trying those rocks 🙂

Nice you said "jack off" tee hee :whistle:

I will give the headland a good going over if I get the chance. Thanks for giving me the heads up... (don't do it Drop Bear,) 

On 09/12/2020 at 8:11 AM, Drop Bear said:

I don’t really know much in terms of sooty grunter or J Perch but anywhere near water falls and creeks and small freshwater rivers work well. I found the jetties work well pretty anywhere in between cairns and Cooktown herring strips on bream hooks unweighted with atleast a good quality leader 10lb-20lb will score heaps you heaps of GT mackerel and queenies awesome fun on light gear although all the massive mackerel and GT I hooked were like 10kg fish that snapped me off in like 10 seconds probably didn’t help I was using 6lb braid With a 2-4kg rod but I was very lucky I landed that 69cm queenfish up at Cooktown you catch heaps of fish off those jetties up in North Queensland but the con is if you use light braid you hook many big fish but many snap you off the only thing I hate about North Queensland jetties is lady fish aka wolf herring they are 20 times more slimy then pike it’s like they are covered in glue and I’m not over talking it to they are the most slimy fish ever . If I was to go back up there I would use a 3-5kg rod 2500 spin reel loaded with 13-15lb braid with a leader from 10-20lb that would help with landing those bigger Pelagics a little bit easier while still keeping it insane drag screaming fun . It’s awesome fishing up at North Queensland the fishing there is unreal and you can catch heaps of fish easily it’s unreal I hope you enjoy you’re trip just watch out for the crocs

I never fish at port because I'm too lazy to drive that far from Cairns to fish, but if you drive up the road to Mossman there's plenty of big JP's in the Mossman River. All creeks have JP's in them anyway.

Further north, I hear Wonga beach fishes really well on high tides - get some pippies on the beach, catch a whiting, then fish it live and should get something - good for tripletail there and they love live whiting.

However, being April you might find yourself in the middle of monsoons and/ or strong south easters, both of which suck for fishing the beach.

And those wolf herring mentioned in previous post are the absolute best strip bait - I've caught more big king salmon on them than any other bait. 

13 hours ago, tiotony said:

Actually also just thought, you may get lucky and arrive after a rain event/ cyclone - if so (and the flooding has cleared), there's always fish hanging around the trees that get washed out on the beach (because the fish have been washed out too and go for the only available cover). I've had some massive sessions in years past walking the beach and chucking little plastics at trees in close to shore.  

Pro Tip thanks. That sounds like a fantastic fun thing to do. Do you mean the beach north of the river or in front of the resorts? 

Is it hard to get to the beach north of the river. 

13 hours ago, tiotony said:

I never fish at port because I'm too lazy to drive that far from Cairns to fish, but if you drive up the road to Mossman there's plenty of big JP's in the Mossman River. All creeks have JP's in them anyway.

Further north, I hear Wonga beach fishes really well on high tides - get some pippies on the beach, catch a whiting, then fish it live and should get something - good for tripletail there and they love live whiting.

However, being April you might find yourself in the middle of monsoons and/ or strong south easters, both of which suck for fishing the beach.

And those wolf herring mentioned in previous post are the absolute best strip bait - I've caught more big king salmon on them than any other bait. 

Ok I will be mobile so will head up to Mossman. Any tips on Crocs? 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, Drop Bear said:

Pro Tip thanks. That sounds like a fantastic fun thing to do. Do you mean the beach north of the river or in front of the resorts? 

Is it hard to get to the beach north of the river. 

Just walk any beach and chuck at the washed out trees, even if its very shallow. I found a vid of someone doing it.

Plenty of JP's in Freshwater creek at the bottom of my street here in Redlynch if you want to drive down this way; but they spook very easily unless the water is discoloured after rain. 

JP on rebel popper.

Right up in any FW creek. Smaller and tighter the better. One to 2  cast each pool. If you miss one move to next pool or waterfall upstream.. They spook hell easy. Pretty much you try cast flat 1 mtr off water. If they are there they follow the flying lure and hit ti as soon as it hits the water mostly. So you gotta be quick.

Out the back of mossman there are a fair few creeks that are small. You will get them up there. Be prepared to treck a few mile thru jungly stuff. Walk up stream and fish. Tread quietly. or fish a pool/ section, then wade thru it to next section. I do best in rapids and pools. Open water is slow for them and they easily spook.

If you head daintree way there are creeks and rivers well north of cape trib. There are a few creek crossings though. I have caught plenty along a creek that runs parralel to the road near Ross. There are also plenty near fig tree beach north of cape trib. The first creek crossing. Walk way upstream of there. 

April for salt is getting toward the dead times. Cold water, starts to shutdown. Plus the trade winds kick in as mentioned.

If Im home from sea at the time your up and there is a decent day il take you out after macs etc. I live 45 mins south of cairns though. contact me closer too then

On 10/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, Breaming with bro said:

I don’t really know much in terms of sooty grunter or J Perch but anywhere near water falls and creeks and small freshwater rivers work well. I found the jetties work well pretty anywhere in between cairns and Cooktown herring strips on bream hooks unweighted with atleast a good quality leader 10lb-20lb will score heaps you heaps of GT mackerel and queenies awesome fun on light gear although all the massive mackerel and GT I hooked were like 10kg fish that snapped me off in like 10 seconds probably didn’t help I was using 6lb braid With a 2-4kg rod but I was very lucky I landed that 69cm queenfish up at Cooktown you catch heaps of fish off those jetties up in North Queensland but the con is if you use light braid you hook many big fish but many snap you off the only thing I hate about North Queensland jetties is lady fish aka wolf herring they are 20 times more slimy then pike it’s like they are covered in glue and I’m not over talking it to they are the most slimy fish ever . If I was to go back up there I would use a 3-5kg rod 2500 spin reel loaded with 13-15lb braid with a leader from 10-20lb that would help with landing those bigger Pelagics a little bit easier while still keeping it insane drag screaming fun . It’s awesome fishing up at North Queensland the fishing there is unreal and you can catch heaps of fish easily it’s unreal I hope you enjoy you’re trip just watch out for the crocs

Where can I catch these piles of wolf herring? I will gladly remove them slimy bastards for you 

4 minutes ago, davostephens said:

Where can I catch these piles of wolf herring? I will gladly remove them slimy bastards for you 

Cooktown jettie/wharf is the main spot I caught heaps but anywhere along that sort of area where there is structure you will catch heaps around 50/70cm they fight well and take ages to bring in but the only thing I don’t like is that their slimy and you can’t eat them but I’ve heard they are good live bait for mackerel and barra

5 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Cooktown jettie/wharf is the main spot I caught heaps but anywhere along that sort of area where there is structure you will catch heaps around 50/70cm they fight well and take ages to bring in but the only thing I don’t like is that their slimy and you can’t eat them but I’ve heard they are good live bait for mackerel and barra

Cairns area You know any spots

14 hours ago, davostephens said:

JP on rebel popper.

Right up in any FW creek. Smaller and tighter the better. One to 2  cast each pool. If you miss one move to next pool or waterfall upstream.. They spook hell easy. Pretty much you try cast flat 1 mtr off water. If they are there they follow the flying lure and hit ti as soon as it hits the water mostly. So you gotta be quick.

Out the back of mossman there are a fair few creeks that are small. You will get them up there. Be prepared to treck a few mile thru jungly stuff. Walk up stream and fish. Tread quietly. or fish a pool/ section, then wade thru it to next section. I do best in rapids and pools. Open water is slow for them and they easily spook.

If you head daintree way there are creeks and rivers well north of cape trib. There are a few creek crossings though. I have caught plenty along a creek that runs parralel to the road near Ross. There are also plenty near fig tree beach north of cape trib. The first creek crossing. Walk way upstream of there. 

April for salt is getting toward the dead times. Cold water, starts to shutdown. Plus the trade winds kick in as mentioned.

If Im home from sea at the time your up and there is a decent day il take you out after macs etc. I live 45 mins south of cairns though. contact me closer too then

Pro tips thanks mate. Got me salivating 🙂