samsteele115

5 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Sensational @samsteele115.  Looks like a top destination, are you staying put for the week or moving around the area? Stupid question really- why would you leave. Love the look of that passionfruit trout.

Staying at a mates place in Portland Roads for 2 weeks 🙂

Sensational! 

1 minute ago, Kat said:

As soon as I see you have posted a new report I get both excited and jealous!  I know I am always going to see big fish and beautiful locations - and can dream that one day it might be me in the pic instead of you lol.  

Looks like you are having a fantastic time with just the right amount of relaxation.

Sashimi looks fantastic - but where's the wasabi?

Cheers Kat

Haha Thanks Kat! You'll make it happen when the time is right.

Prefer ginger over wasabi! 

Wow it looks amazing up there good job on those coral trout . Idk if you know this or not but it’s a good idea to freeze sashimi before eating it I’ve heard stories of people having horrible experiences because they didn’t freeze the sashimi issues were due to parasites it’s not uncommon for fish to have parasites in them freezing them first kills the parasites . Looked like a awesome trip with quite a few decent fish landed awesome job on the reefies

16 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Wow it looks amazing up there good job on those coral trout . Idk if you know this or not but it’s a good idea to freeze sashimi before eating it I’ve heard stories of people having horrible experiences because they didn’t freeze the sashimi issues were due to parasites it’s not uncommon for fish to have parasites in them freezing them first kills the parasites . Looked like a awesome trip with quite a few decent fish landed awesome job on the reefies

Thanks mate! Didn't know that was the reason but usually do it anyway. No worries So far 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yew how good! 

That is a bucket list for me for sure.

Do they rent out the house? 

I need to do something like this next year...

Na they don't rent it out. I think there might be a rental here though from what I've heard. Worth checking out. It's all off grid and inaccessible for most of the year so not really much of market for tourism/Airbnb etc.. i just got lucky 🙂

Great job Sam, that reminds me if the stories my uncle/grandma have told me about their commercial fishing on Swains, trout, lipper, reds! You are in a paradise right now! 

You’ll be having great feasts and fun on the reef. My uncle said if he gets better from his cancer we might do a trip up to Swains and catch some like that. (We have the family commercial fishing boat, haha).

Cheers Hamish 

I also think it's important to share "real" pictures. These are taken from the same spot. The plastic pollution problem up here isn't surprising but still very disappointing. We can all do better by minimising single-use conveniences especially now that there are a growing number of less harmful alternatives. Most common items: bottles and caps, cans, food packets, toothbrushes, cups. IMG_20201215_174155_372.thumb.jpg.2c7450a99f3758593725217f23f82d69.jpg20201215_142508.thumb.jpg.dd7d41dd1c5f46ad04abf674fbafcdfc.jpg20201215_143043.thumb.jpg.8c7c5489f32999ee6a472d9f40f8b9fa.jpg

Hey Sam

That is very sad. It just shows that places don't have to be crowded to get litter on them and how far some things travel. I wish Australia could have a system where they paid people to clean up (like how some countries pay people for each bag of trash they collect). 

@Drop Bear, that's sure ironic. I would wonder what people were thinking doing that. Sadly, I'm not sure that there are many other plastics/substances that are environmentally friendly and cheap to put things in.

Cheers Hamish 🙂