Heavy mono line abrasion when tying knots

JMW21

Hi all,

I’ve got 200lb mono that I’m tying to a swivel using a uni knot. The issue is that it seems like no matter how many times I try and do it, even with a ton of lubrication (saliva), when I go to tighten the knot, as the knot slides down to the swivel, the small part of the line that the knot passes over becomes rough and looks slightly abraded. I’m able to seal the knot fine, it’s just that the end of the line feels rough, compared to the rest that’s smooth.

Will this effect the strength of the line at all?

cheers👍🏻

1 hour ago, JMW21 said:

Hi all,

I’ve got 200lb mono that I’m tying to a swivel using a uni knot. The issue is that it seems like no matter how many times I try and do it, even with a ton of lubrication (saliva), when I go to tighten the knot, as the knot slides down to the swivel, the small part of the line that the knot passes over becomes rough and looks slightly abraded. I’m able to seal the knot fine, it’s just that the end of the line feels rough, compared to the rest that’s smooth.

Will this effect the strength of the line at all?

cheers👍🏻

First of all what are you targeting with 200lb line second of all I wouldn’t recommend the uni knot for leaders over 80lb because it does damage the line no matter how well you tie the knot . I recommend you try using the palomar knot for swivels and hooks at LB rating it works great for those heavier lines and also the AG chain knot is good for lures with that LB rating  hope that helps

1 minute ago, Breaming with bro said:

First of all what are you targeting with 200lb line second of all I wouldn’t recommend the uni knot for leaders over 80lb because it does damage the line no matter how well you tie the knot . I recommend you try using the palomar knot for swivels and hooks at LB rating it works great for those heavier lines and also the AG chain knot is good for lures with that LB rating  hope that helps

It’s a leader that follows to a wire trace for large bull sharks. Thanks for the advice, I’ll check out those knots👍🏻

Just now, christophagus said:

i must say ive never had issue with the uni knot for big mono leaders. How many times do you wrap it aroundthe line? for example ill do 6 times when bream fishing, and 3 loops for the large leader. Leave a long tag end and tighten. 

Hey mate, yep same here, 200lb I just do 3 loops. It just feels rough after the knot slides down to tighten