Weird fishing trends

The Mad Hughesy

I don't even know what the "shaka" is, so apologies if I'm doing it. lol

I used to smile in fish pics until I lost half my front tooth. Until I get that fixed I'm going to stick to the lip smile which doesn't show well with a beard etc. @Drop Bear loves to rag me about that. haha

Nothing really annoys me about fishing people except the blokes on fishing shows. I haven't found one that I can endure for a whole hour.

I don't do Facebook anymore as it is full of annoying stuff from all sorts of people.

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

I don't even know what the "shaka" is, so apologies if I'm doing it. lol

I used to smile in fish pics until I lost half my front tooth. Until I get that fixed I'm going to stick to the lip smile which doesn't show well with a beard etc. @Drop Bear loves to rag me about that. haha

Nothing really annoys me about fishing people except the blokes on fishing shows. I haven't found one that I can endure for a whole hour.

shaka Shaka Brah GIF by Chord Overstreet

stephen thompson shaka GIF

Happy Laugh GIF by Outside TV

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

The one thing I hate the most is when people fish, leave litter, light fires on the jetty and don't even put it out, leave smashed glass everywhere, and don't give you a hand when you need it.

I’m definitely with you on that one Hamish. The other thing that pisses me off is people who deliberately flout the security rules down the port and fish up against (or even under) the wharves. Not because I hate rule breakers but because one day the port authority will close the area to fishing and that would be a shame.

Regarding the tv presenters, I don’t mind Lee Rayner, even if he is Rex Hunt’s son-in-law. And the two dudes on Big Angry Fish, or the two guys on Hook,Line and Sinker. I do watch a lot of YouTube videos now, mostly for the local content. Some are good and some are rubbish.

Things that annoy me is when people push bias and marketing stuff for rods and reels and lures and use fancy words to hype things up especially if there not sponsored to and when people don’t understand what the actual thing does and how it works but still push it

The second thing is when people think mid range to high end gear is overrated. These people usually have the $15 Kmart combo with the bad quality pre spooled mono and they use baits like prawns and Pilchards and they say stuff like $100 for a reel I can buy heaps of fish from the co op for that price 

Third thing is when people handle trophy fish wrong . Holding Barra and flathead by the mouth without supporting the weight with the other hand Using rags and non friendly fish nets for catch and release etc

And like @christophagussaid when people take a fish photo with a dead emotionless face 

And I agree with statement 4 somewhat by benno 573 I use a lot of lighter gear what some people would consider stupid light but I have a lot of experience with fighting larger fish on light line so I know what Im doing I also know how to release worn out fish to but most of the time if the fish takes longer then 10 minutes to land I’m usually keeping it depending on speices. Some people though use lighter gear a lot and don’t know much about drag pressure and rod angles and how that affects the way a fish fights and gets busted off regularly on big fish which is a problem .if you’re gonna go light I think you should atleast work out some good fish fighting techniques on a slightly heavier setup before going ultra light and study how the fish behaves when hooked do they go for structure or for a big run in open water etc and adapt a fishing fighting technique that works best for a certain speices for example I go low and slow with loose drags to avoid the line getting rubbed for flathead and bream .flathead have sharp teeth so if I point the rod tip up in the air it’s gonna rub against the teeth but if I angle my rod lower to the ground and on my side it’s gonna suffer minimal to none abrasion on the line that’s how I managed to land my 57cm flathead on 6lb leader it swallowed the lure right down but I still managed to land it 

19 hours ago, benno573 said:

I think the most annoying one is a certain presenter who refers to themselves in the first person while presenting a fishing show, whether it be in a CREEK or at the COAST.  we know your name dude, just catch fish and shut up.

Trends that annoy me:

1) people who insist on wearing branded fishing shirts they paid big $$$ for.  you are paying to advertise a brand...

2) people who feel the need to cover their boat in copious amounts of stickers that they bought.  again, you are paying to advertise a brand just so you can look like the people on the TV... WHY

3) BUFFS - wearing a buff to cover your face but still rocking a baseball cap that covers next to nothing?

4) using gear that is way too light for the situation and refering to it as "sport".  I get it, from time to time you will hook something a lot larger than expected and have a long battle.  but doing this on purpose regularly leads to greater stress on the fish, greater chance of sharking and much greater chance of a bust off leaving a fish with a hook/lure hanging out of it's gob and more crap in the ocean.

5) people who believe that cutting the tail off a shark and letting it slowly bleed to death while trashing around is in any way, shape or form humane

Your awesome Benno. Pretty much said it all. Put ET on that list of rubbish.. I timed his show once and there was literally 5.2 mins of fishing in half hour.

I think fishing has been turned into a pile of ****. Almost a style now.. Like what we used to call a surfie, or a hipster..

The branded tshirts that are so loud.. Would never wear one. Old columbia for me. Practicle, Reliable, sun smart.

Average gear for me that is durable and reliable... I dont need a 300-500$$ bream reel. ITS A BREAM. (caught plenty on an old cork handline with GDAD as a kid)

Nor do I need a Stella for catching most fish.

40$ bream and bass lures... ONCE again. ITS A BREAM

100,000$ tournament boats with 300hp motors... AGAIN BREAM

Mark berg... u can take you god bless yous elsewhere. And you ripped off the 3 mtr flatty for your new shop.

Willem Powerfish is right... Bring Back REXY. Least he wasnt just a sales pitch knob. Had a bit of character.

My aim in fishing is to fill my freezer in the quickest way for the least $$$.  I buy 80% of my gear online thru Aussie stores and not the BCF and Tackleworld chains.

Well thats my Rant 

21 hours ago, christophagus said:

Just feel the need to vent and i thought here is a good place to do so as many of you will probably understand what i mean. And it may not annoy you like it annoys me haha to each their own

I've noticed over the past few years a few trends amongst fisho's. 1 of them just annoys me and the other i cannot understand

1. Why do so many people have to have such a serious face when posing with a fish? crack a smile! this isn't the old western times where no one smiled. Aren't you happy that you've just caught a fish worthy of a photo? "here's a pic of me with my PB fish (face looks like someone said look as serious/angry as possible)". So many pictures i see on Facebook on local fishing groups have dudes with this dead serious/angry face while holding their fish. i just don't get it...is it a looking tough thing? 

2. Why so many grown men throw up a "shaka" sign and scream YEOW! when they catch a fish on video, or just randomly through the video? cant help but laugh every time i see that happen. Even alot of youtubers who have fishing videos do it a lot more often than necessary …"right guys I've got my bait and rigged up my rod and we are ready to go, lets get into it. YEOW!" "just filleted up this fish and about to cook it, lets hope it tastes good. YEOW" Nothing against the shaka sign, but the YEOW is bizarre haha don't know where it came from but it seems like everyone does it now

Maybe its just me, feel free to tell me to shut up haha

Any other fishing related trends you've noticed that you find weird or funny or annoying?

Youll find that most of them arent men but CUBs... Cashed Up Bogans..and everyone has a catch and cook now.. Everyone is trying to get 15 mins of fame. Most just end up looking like knobs to you and me, But to others they copy them and now we get a pile of yeeeeews,, must be getting old.

19 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I’m definitely with you on that one Hamish. The other thing that pisses me off is people who deliberately flout the security rules down the port and fish up against (or even under) the wharves. Not because I hate rule breakers but because one day the port authority will close the area to fishing and that would be a shame.

Regarding the tv presenters, I don’t mind Lee Rayner, even if he is Rex Hunt’s son-in-law. And the two dudes on Big Angry Fish, or the two guys on Hook,Line and Sinker. I do watch a lot of YouTube videos now, mostly for the local content. Some are good and some are rubbish.

Lee Rainer isnt too bad... hasnt  sold out yet, And shows a bit of how to. You dont get that anymore... No time for how to. Just buy this and this is what  you need." Today we are using the stella 200 stradic with such n such combo to catch bream" ...  The big angry fish guys are good at what they do.. Even if it is nearly the same week to week. They are getting up there with the Ads. They must be loaded.

I used to like All for Adventure.. Seem like nice blokes. They are goin full sponsorship and merchandise road. Guess thats what you gotta do to do it full time. Just dont understand the logic of singlets in the Aussie sun, or caps. And they promote their stuff. I think a singlet is like 50$. Sell merchandise but sunsmart promotion would be more responsible.

Cant stand worstellings KID

• 1 month later...
On 17/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, davostephens said:

Lee Rainer isnt too bad... hasnt  sold out yet, And shows a bit of how to. You dont get that anymore... No time for how to. Just buy this and this is what  you need." Today we are using the stella 200 stradic with such n such combo to catch bream" ...  The big angry fish guys are good at what they do.. Even if it is nearly the same week to week. They are getting up there with the Ads. They must be loaded.

I used to like All for Adventure.. Seem like nice blokes. They are goin full sponsorship and merchandise road. Guess thats what you gotta do to do it full time. Just dont understand the logic of singlets in the Aussie sun, or caps. And they promote their stuff. I think a singlet is like 50$. Sell merchandise but sunsmart promotion would be more responsible.

Cant stand worstellings KID

I can’t stand worstelings at all . He just looks like a annoying and Disrespectful person to be around