Fishy Goals for 2021

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

I was just wondering how everyone went with this year fishing, and what sort of things they may want to land/capture next year. I also think this would be a good post to brag about your 2020 captures. I didn't get that many overly amazing fish, so I'll leave that to over people. Lol.

I'm going to keep what I want simple for next year. 

1) 1M+ Thready out of the river. Whether it be on a boat, kayak, or landbased, I'll take it!

2) More flatties on lures out of the brown snake off the kayak. Ideally, a new PB of 75CM+. Obviously this hasn't happened that much as of late due to Dad and me being busy, but it's ought to happen soon 😉 

3) A Brisbane River Jewfish (and not the Little type). 

4) A 1.5M plus river Bull Shark. I know ideally you'd be fishing in the ocean for these ones, but one off the yak would be real good!

And for anyone's reference here is the last thread on goals from @Old Scaley - 

Cheers Hamish 

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

40cm whiting and metre murray cod. Same as last year.

In addition I want to slay the legal snapper. I thought it would happen when I got my boat, but alas I haven't caught a legal snapper for 8 years. I don't know what has happened, despite the intel received from AFO contributors. I'll take a 36 as a win in 2021.

I did not realize the situation was this dire... you need to dose up on kwells for the next good weather day and we will rectify this forthwith.

the 40cm whiting we can also work on.

my 2021 goals:

- more time fishing

that is all.

2 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Did you do much night / overnight fishing for Snapper in 2020? I think this may be the the trick to getting some legal snapper on the board. Could this be the reason why Darren @Allnighter chose his nickname. Darren basically has his snapper in the esky and cruising back home by the time we are heading out.

Yep, gave nighttime sessions a good bash as well. Only 1 legal 48cm came over the side but not from me.

My best catches this year would be the PB queenfish the massive batfish and my PB flathead on 6lb and other memorable Catch’s would be estuary cod mangrove jack Barra and Sootys . My goals for 2021 is

flathead over a metre 

a legal sized jewfish . I’ve never even caught a Jewfish before 

Shark over a metre 

learn how to catch whiting 

and learning some other methods of fishing for bream . I wanna learn how to use crankbaits for bream . I’ve used crankbaits over coral flats up north and they work excellent but that’s my only experience with crankbaits besides hooking a few flathead in the shallows at home 

12 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I know of a bloke that catches a couple of metre pls or close to a metre flathead every year from a spot I sometimes fish he uses hardbodie lures and has a YouTube channel called sand flat fishing Australia 

nice. I cant wait to see you holding a metery croc! My best is 96cm and that was years and years ago. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

nice. I cant wait to see you holding a metery croc! My best is 96cm and that was years and years ago. 

Yeah Last sesh I used some bigger plastics with 8lb braid and 10lb leader and landed a decent flathead but soon I’ll start using some bigger vibes with 14lb leader for extra casting distance even though I get a good 30-40m of casting distance with 1/6 jigheads I could get a bit further with some vibes 

5 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah Last sesh I used some bigger plastics with 8lb braid and 10lb leader and landed a decent flathead but soon I’ll start using some bigger vibes with 14lb leader for extra casting distance even though I get a good 30-40m of casting distance with 1/6 jigheads I could get a bit further with some vibes 

Nice one. My Brother in Melbs just told me he is gonna take me to a spot that holds big flathead. I will pack a few larger plastics for this 🙂

Hi all

Good luck with your goals everyone. It seems we all are going for different things in different ways, but I think everyone should at least get one of their bucket list things (Brian, I hope you can pull up a legal one soon).

Se very happy and achievable goals in the lot! 

Cheers Hamish 

16 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I would love to help you out with this. 😈. ( Of course, only if you wanted 🙂).

If you did find a good looking thing though, would you fish it with lures or bait Henry? 

Cheers Hamish

99% Lures only on my tinnie mate. Unless it's yabbies for whiting or livies for jacks.

Unless you are my brother - who will ignore my rule and bring stinky dead bait anyway....😑

Will keep you in mind mate - but will be honest - don't hold your breath 😄 I'm not holding my own on even being able to do it 😄

My goal for 2021 is to land one of the XXL king salmon/ spanish mackeral that keep spooling me on the beach - this will probably involve upgrade from using silly string (6-10lb) for them; am eyeing off 4000 size shimano thunnus baitrunners full of 20lb braid.

Have been spooled 3 times in the last 3 sessions and am very over it - manageable blue salmon and queenfish in the evening then hook onto torpedos right on dark, that spool my 2000 size Daiwa Sol's in about 20 seconds 😞