Preparing for Hervey Bay

Hweebe

On 17/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, Drop Bear said:

Very jealous mate. 

I was super keen to do this but the fires put me off. 

I hope to see a photo of you holding a Longtail or Spottie ASAP

That's the plan! Hoping the birds will be working the bay but failing that i'll explore and drift these starter spots.

On 16/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, Hweebe said:

Hi AFO members,

Back from a long break away from fishing and AFO. I'm planning to trailer the boat up to Hervey Bay for a pre-christmas fish (fingers crossed weather plays the game).

I've pulled together every Hervey Bay fishing GPS mark I could find on the internet into one Google Earth file.

Let me know if you want me to insert the file into this post or work on a PM basis. I don't mind either way a google search reveals all these marks - I've just done the work to get the marks ready to upload for your sounders.

***Google Maps kmz file Added*** There are definitely some duplicates but this will be a good starter.

If you have a Lowrance  I've also added the their proprietary file type (one less conversion)

Hervey Bay Fishing GPS marks (from interwebs).kmz 5.35 kB · 10 downloads Hervey Bay 2020.usr 32.56 kB · 9 downloads

Hi @Hweebe. Thanks for posting those.I have a Lowrance but just had a couple of questions before I upload them. Roughly how many marks are there? Do they cover the bay with marks or are they limited? How are the marks named?  Do they make sense or are they just a series of numbers. Just trying to imagine what the map will look like once they are inserted and if you can identify marks of interest to your style of fishing by their names. It’s just that I have quite a few marks already, especially near Wathumba and northwards, already on the map. Sorry to be a nuisance.

cheers

Greg

31 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Hi @Hweebe. Thanks for posting those.I have a Lowrance but just had a couple of questions before I upload them. Roughly how many marks are there? Do they cover the bay with marks or are they limited? How are the marks named?  Do they make sense or are they just a series of numbers. Just trying to imagine what the map will look like once they are inserted and if you can identify marks of interest to your style of fishing by their names. It’s just that I have quite a few marks already, especially near Wathumba and northwards, already on the map. Sorry to be a nuisance.

cheers

Greg

Here's a pic of what the second file looks like on Google Earth (click on the pic to enlarge) -

Capturegooogleearth.thumb.JPG.f63be505e6e4fe2fa92dbe442a700c9e.JPG

On 18/12/2020 at 3:39 PM, GregOug said:

cheers

Greg

Marks were straight form internet using whatever name was provided. Where there is a description of the types of fish to expect for the mark this has been included in the description field on the files. I recommend u look into using google earth to manage your marks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Hweebe how did you go up there? Are there any marks that you that you thought were especially good, or on the flip side a bit inaccurate?

I used some marks for up there from fishing boating exploring dot com dot au fairly recently and didn't have much success with locating structure, even when sounding around the general area of the marks