Lower Molonglo River is an excellent fishing area

KhalidMSyed

Hello all,

I am new to this site and just wanted to share that Lower Molonglo River in Canberra is an excellent fishing area. I have been fishing this area for a while now and have caught several good sized Murray Cod and many Carp of course. If you are ever in Canberra then fishing in this area is highly recommended. The map below shows some of the good fishing spots that I have caught fish from:

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugw4mTRjC5nvgEvxlM94AaABCQ

Below are some examples of fish caught in this area:

Murray Cod Caught in Molonglo River After Heavy Rains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By8QGSnZkvo

62cm Murray Cod Caught in Molonglo River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zJq6o6QIA

3min Fight with 3kg Carp at Lower Molonglo River 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXG5RKKQavg&t=2s

Let me know what you think about this area and the videos shared?

8 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi KhalidMSyed

Another great post! Thanks for the tips on the cod and carp, as well as the spot. 

I have not watched the vids yet as I’m busy right now, but it looks of good quality and content.

Keep it up!

Cheers Hamish 

Thanks for the encouragement, mate.

Your feedback on the videos will be appreciated too, when possible.

4 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. I have never caught a Freshwater Cod or a Carp. 

I hope to catch a carp when I go to Melbourne next week. One day I will go catch a cod.

Great stuff mate well done for putting the videos up. 

Thanks mate.

Hope you catch your first Murray Cod and Carp soon. Murray Cod is an impressive fish and smart too as it can unhook itself by rolling, was really impressed when I saw that first time, must have taken some presence of mind to pull that one off! Carp is fun to catch too as it runs like a steam train and keeps on running until you land it.

1 hour ago, KhalidMSyed said:

Thanks mate.

Hope you catch your first Murray Cod and Carp soon. Murray Cod is an impressive fish and smart too as it can unhook itself by rolling, was really impressed when I saw that first time, must have taken some presence of mind to pull that one off! Carp is fun to catch too as it runs like a steam train and keeps on running until you land it.

Do you eat the carp? We will be fishing in a lake so i don't think they would be nice but from a nice stream like the one in your video they should taste nice. 

11 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Do you eat the carp? We will be fishing in a lake so i don't think they would be nice but from a nice stream like the one in your video they should taste nice. 

I have tried it once. Despite bleeding it thoroughly and cooking in curry spices, it was pretty ordinary. A Fijian friend told me that if you keep the Carp alive in a tub full of tap water for 2-3 days then it tastes much better. But that sounds like too much trouble to me.

Yes, river Carp seems to be healthier and shinier than lake Carp so I guess it must be slightly better.

1 minute ago, KhalidMSyed said:

I have tried it once. Despite bleeding it thoroughly and cooking in curry spices, it was pretty ordinary. A Fijian friend told me that if you keep the Carp alive in a tub full of tap water for 2-3 days then it tastes much better. But that sounds like too much trouble to me.

Yes, river Carp seems to be healthier and shinier than lake Carp so I guess it must be slightly better.

I've never tried carp. Some of the Chinese recipes look great for it where they flour and deep fry in lots of spice. 

• 3 weeks later...