Okuma ceymar baitrunner reel thoughts?

Brodie_S

I’m thinking of getting a okuma baitrunner  5500 reel for offshore bait fishing note a 5500 size okuma reels are more like a 4000 Shimano or daiwa spin reel . Anyway I usually would never consider buying a okuma spin reel but because there isn’t much around for the $90-100 for bait runner reels it’s seems to be pretty good for the price and what I want . I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts on this was . Note I will getting a 4000 sedona FI for mostly lure fishing offshore and the bait runner for bait fishing I’ll props just fill the bait runner with 20lb mono. The bait runner will be on my 3-6kg shimano rod and the Sedona will be on my 6-9kg rod I ended up just keeping the sienna 2500 for a light rod I got in the viper combo as the rod felt a tat bit long to be using a 2500 size reel . I’m sure it will great as a bait rod though it’s 7,6

Haven't used one so can't comment on whether or not they are good, bad or indifferent however there seems to bit of issue with the specs on these reels, for what it is worth,  Okuma USA lists 14 different models of bait feeders just to make the choice harder, and their model numbers for their Ceymar model differ from the Australian ones too, so that could be a locality/sales thing. They use oiled felt drag material and not carbon but that isn't a bad thing necessarily for small reels.

And also  just too make it harder still there are a couple of resellers in Australia that have different drag and line capacity specs from each other as well for the same reels. So it would pay to find out exactly what the reel specs are for any models you are interested.  I would assume that someone didn't cut and paste the right info before putting it on their sales pages.

Either way no matter what specs you look at they seem to be a reasonable capacity reel with good drags and bearing count.  You should go to a few tackle shops and put them in your hands to see what they feel like before committing, if you don't like them you could always look at different brands as there are heaps of them out there.

https://www.okumafishing.com/en/category/Baitfeeder-Reels/A0109.html

Tackle Tactics as far as I know is apparently the official Okuma distributor in Oz,  lists just 2 baitfeeder models, the Ceymar and the Barbarian.

http://tackletactics.com.au/Okuma/Baitfeeder-Reels

Found these links so did a cut and paste.

https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/okuma-ceymar-reels-medium-sizes.html

Model Ceymar C-40 - size 40

• Gear ratio: 4.5:1
  • Line capacity mono approx (diameter mm/metres): 0.25/300, 0.3/210, 0.35/155
  • Approx Weight: 283g
  • Max drag: 9kg
  • Line Retrieve cm per crank: 74cm

Model Ceymar C-55- size 55

• Gear ratio: 4.5:1
  • Line capacity mono approx (diameter mm/metres): 0.3/380, 0.35/280, 0.4/215
  • Approx Weight: 403g
  • Max drag: 15kg
  • Line Retrieve cm per crank: 76cm

https://www.hookedonline.com.au/okuma-ceymar-baitfeeder-fishing-reel-spin-reel-wit

Model

Gear Ratio

Weight

Max Drag

Mono Capacity - LBS/YDS

Capacity - mm/Metres

CBF-40

5.0:1

283g

6kg

8/295,  10/250, 12/210

0.25/290, 0.30/200, 0.35/150

CBF-55

4.5:1

403g

9kg

12/310, 14/275, 16/220

0.30/305, 0.35/220, 0.40/170

CBF-65

4.8:1

586g

11kg

16/280, 20/235, 25/190

0.40/220, 0.45/175, 0.50/140

Save a touch more.

Double your money and get a shimano 6000 baitrunner. Proven reliability. 

If it's of any interest, I use a 4000 and 5000 size spin reel for offshore up to 100m depth.

Don't need a baitrunner out there. 

My boat has hooked more fish than I have. It definitely has a better technique with the rod. It would outfish me if it could wind the line in. 

On 19/12/2020 at 8:03 AM, Junky said:

Save a touch more.

Double your money and get a shimano 6000 baitrunner. Proven reliability. 

If it's of any interest, I use a 4000 and 5000 size spin reel for offshore up to 100m depth.

Don't need a baitrunner out there. 

My boat has hooked more fish than I have. It definitely has a better technique with the rod. It would outfish me if it could wind the line in. 

I’m a fan of the bait runners too. Just bought another 12000D.