Hervey Bay/Fraser Island Trip Planning

Drop Bear

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Would you be up for a 3 boat challenge up there in Jan? 

We could do a long weekend thing Leave here Friday early and back Sunday late? Camp at Teebing? 

I’m up for a decky spot (in fact I’d be super keen). I can go on anyone’s boat, and I’ll even travel in the esky if there’s no deck space! Lol

I don’t want to come if no one wants me along though as I don’t want to be a hinderance.

Cheers Hamish 

6 hours ago, ellicat said:

Either that or select a set of dates in January now and see if we can book them.

How about Friday 15 - Sunday 17 January ?

Due to the lack of responses so far I will go first. I would probably prefer the following weekend because Tom is working on Great Keppel Island for a month (for the experience, not the money, which is absolutely pathetic!) and doesn’t finish until around the 15th. I think he would love to come along.

• ellicat changed the title to Hervey Bay/Fraser Island Trip Planning
14 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Anyone want to propose a set of dates, or is January too hard for people ?

Hi Brian

Maybe for you guys the 17th-19th? The temperature then ranges from 21oC-32oC (According to a monthly forecast sheet). I couldn't find anything on wind though, or rain/weather in general. I realise you said that above so this was a pretty pointless comment 😉 

Cheers Hamish

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Fraser when it is both busy (Australia Day) and quiet. It's an experience on the busier days good for people watching as there is always something happening opposite the campsite but if you want a more relaxed pace easy to move around and park at the main attractions go when it is quiet. Even then there will be people around. I find I also feel safer beach fishing with less 4wd speeding through camp zones (occurs frequently).

Definitely the spotties we’re feeding on tiny bait when I was up there. Downsizing from an initial 40-50g slug to 15-20g made all the difference for me. The bait was smaller then your typical halco 5/10g but I didn’t go right down to this size because it was a balancing act between “matching the hatch” versus casting distance to get the lure into the bust up.

I remained fairly close in to western side of Fraser moon pt to Rooney’s and then back and got a feed.

I wanted to try further out into the central bay but conditions bit choppy when I was there.

@samsteele115 Xmas was my first time to HB but I’m interested to hear how you went about exploring the bay to find the birds/fish. What’s your typical plan of attack for HB? And what led you to head out further?

@HweebeYep! Tiny tiny. And when you find a school on large bait (found these like twice) it's fish after fish into the boat. Smart things being suss on anything unusual to what they are feeding on at the time! 

I didn't see anything less than 10km from Fraser this time. Its a good point you make... I've learnt to make a B line from Urangan to Rooneys or even wider to start the search. If no birds/fish on that wide route then venture in closer. Ive been faced with the inneficient prospect of starting a few km out and heading in only to find nothing and wonder if they are out wider. Get it out of the way early 🙂

Edited by samsteele115

16 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

I've learnt to make a B line from Urangan to Rooneys or even wider to start the search. If no birds/fish on that wide route then venture in closer. Ive been faced with the inneficient prospect of starting a few km out and heading in only to find nothing and wonder if they are out wider. Get it out of the way early 🙂

@Drop Bear pro tip for when you do head up there 🙂 . There was definitely some second guessing from me to head wider on not. Like Sam's says get it done early 

18 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

G'day norm! Most of the action was a fair way out (10-12km) off arch cliffs. Sight cast at a nice black around a bait ball also 🙂

some longies around too on tiny bait 

12W for the Blacks and the 10WT for the longies with  a size 2 surf candy it is then. Thanks @samsteele115