Hervey Bay/Fraser Island Trip Planning

Drop Bear

23 hours ago, Hweebe said:

@Drop Bear pro tip for when you do head up there 🙂 . There was definitely some second guessing from me to head wider on not. Like Sam's says get it done early 

Ok thanks I will do that. It goes against my instincts to head out wide but if the conditions are good there is not reason not to. It feels sort of aimless to zoom around but I love to learn new things. Not much better than finding birds and bust-ups. I can't wait to do it. 

22 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Hey @Drop Bear, Where do you park your vehicle when you go up there ? Which ramp do you leave from ?

I pay i think $5 per day to park at the Harbour View Caravan Park.

Address: 1 Jetty St, Urangan QLD 4655

I use the Urangan Harbour Boat ramp right next to the Caravan Park. 

You might need to book early to get a spot in the caravan park. They have been pretty busy since the pandemic. If you can’t get in there, we have left vehicles and trailers in the carpark at the ramps a number of times with no problem, but try and park under the lights down near the shop and Air Sea Rescue base. It is a huge carpark but you will see what I mean when you get there. 

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Ok thanks I will do that. It goes against my instincts to head out wide but if the conditions are good there is not reason not to. It feels sort of aimless to zoom around but I love to learn new things. Not much better than finding birds and bust-ups. I can't wait to do it. 

Not sure on the rod holders mate, it's my friend Murray's boat. 

Yep I know what you mean about being against instinct! Massive body of water and its hard to motivate to drive out further when in close to the island. That's why I like to take the wide route initially and cross that off. If it helps, I'd say at an average I find the most bait and fish 5-10km out unless there's been a persistent easterly for a few days. Strong easterlies can bring fish in closer (pelagics pushing bait against wind)  

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

I'd say at an average I find the most bait and fish 5-10km out unless there's been a persistent easterly for a few days. Strong easterlies can bring fish in closer (pelagics pushing bait against wind)  

Thanks mate. I appreciate the tips. 

One time I was up there there was so much bait showing up on the sounder (about 7cm long) but not many fish. Then the switch flicked and bait ball after bait ball was getting smashed on the surface. We hooked a lot but got sharked a lot too. So good to see it when its like that, tuna, macs and sharks smashing it all up.