The alvey fixed itself

Not sure what was going on with the drag on my alvey baitcaster but the first time I used it I caught barra and the drag was jerky. Today I used it I hooked a ray and the drag was reasonably smooth, so I may have made comment that wasn't fair when I first got it , so if I put anyone off buying one it's not as bad as I thought . 

21 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Not sure what was going on with the drag on my alvey baitcaster but the first time I used it I caught barra and the drag was jerky. Today I used it I hooked a ray and the drag was reasonably smooth, so I may have made comment that wasn't fair when I first got it , so if I put anyone off buying one it's not as bad as I thought . 

Good news Sneaky - looks like it did fix itself!

I hope to hear of more catches with it 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

24 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Good news Sneaky - looks like it did fix itself!

I hope to hear of more catches with it 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Hope so Hamish , I need to torture it with something decent , these crappy squire won't make it work.

1 minute ago, GregOug said:

Sneaky, please tell me you aren’t catching these snapper and squire in Pumicestone Passage. I couldn’t find any there 40 years ago, so surely they aren’t there now. 

Nope the passage gets hit pretty hard there is squire in there but there's places not so far that hold better fish

2 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Or Holden’s. Oh that’s right. They don’t make them any more. Then again, even when they did they they were only just ‘Holden’ together. Lol.

Picked up another toy today and to the wife's surprise it wasnt a Holden or Mazda rotary.

Yeah I think Alvey really should have just sticked to their original reels They can’t compete with what daiwa and Shimano have for same price. Although That’s really just for spin reels I’ve always considered baitcast reels to always have better gears and overall better design then most spin reels hopefully the Alvey baitcasters are better then their spin reels it will be good to see what it’s like a year later . Also I don’t think everything in a baitcast reel is better then a spin reel especially drags most bait cast reels I’ve seen have ok drags but compared to spin reels I’ve found spin reels to have better drags

4 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah I think Alvey really should have just sticked to their original reels They can’t compete with what daiwa and Shimano have for same price. Although That’s really just for spin reels I’ve always considered baitcast reels to always have better gears and overall better design then most spin reels hopefully the Alvey baitcasters are better then their spin reels it will be good to see what it’s like a year later . Also I don’t think everything in a baitcast reel is better then a spin reel especially drags most bait cast reels I’ve seen have ok drags but compared to spin reels I’ve found spin reels to have better drags

I'm thinking if a spin reel has 8kg of drag and a baitcaster has 8kg of drag their isn't really much difference. I'm quite happy chasing tuna on my baitcasters they handle them as good as an egg beater. The line I use is lighter than my drag rating 95% of the time.

I wouldn't put too much stock into drag numbers, there is a fair bit of fudging going on with the numbers, as in; Did the manufacturer measure the drag with a full spool or not and just because a reel can put out 8Kg of drag will it be able to handle it for extended long runs or will it fade very quickly after a few seconds and loose most of its drag capability.

I have a Tica bait caster that can put out 15kg of drag but if I compare it to a Tica ST-468 overhead which I used to have, and which had only 8kg of drag, the Tica overhead would stop a much larger fish and do it much easier than the baitcaster.

If you are using a line class much lighter than the drag rating for most of the time then it is a mute point as you won't stress the drag no matter which reel you use.

9 hours ago, Ed. said:

I wouldn't put too much stock into drag numbers, there is a fair bit of fudging going on with the numbers, as in; Did the manufacturer measure the drag with a full spool or not and just because a reel can put out 8Kg of drag will it be able to handle it for extended long runs or will it fade very quickly after a few seconds and loose most of its drag capability.

I have a Tica bait caster that can put out 15kg of drag but if I compare it to a Tica ST-468 overhead which I used to have, and which had only 8kg of drag, the Tica overhead would stop a much larger fish and do it much easier than the baitcaster.

If you are using a line class much lighter than the drag rating for most of the time then it is a mute point as you won't stress the drag no matter which reel you use.

Oh well if their talking crap about their numbers it's obviously something that should be brought up with the manufacturers when your asking for a refund as it's false advertising . 

Technically they probably do produce the stated drags when they do their measurements but there is no legislation that says how they have to measure them, as in full spool or almost empty spool and also for what length of time they have to keep providing that amount of drag, at what speed  or for how many runs, it is merely an indication and not a good one at that. So at the end of the day,  lots of grey areas and none that can be enforced so most likely marketing data, so lots of ways to embellish the product.

Having said all that, if I bought a game real that claimed it could produce 15Kg of drag and I could only get 5kg of drag then I would be taking it back, and if the store or manufacturer refused a refund or exchange then I would be taking it up with the Office of Fair Trading as it would not be fit for purpose or faulty. If the reel could produce 15kg of drag but only for a 30m run before fading then that would be a gray area as technically it did produce the stated 15kg albeit only temporarily. That is the realm of legal teams!

One of the biggest problems with drag is that it produces heat so a larger reel generally has a better chance of getting rid of that heat vs a smaller one, taking into account design and drag materials etc. So if you take two overheads and they both state the same drag amount but one is twice as  big than the other, then my money is on the bigger one to do better, excluding twin drags and such.

7 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Technically they probably do produce the stated drags when they do their measurements but there is no legislation that says how they have to measure them, as in full spool or almost empty spool and also for what length of time they have to keep providing that amount of drag, at what speed  or for how many runs, it is merely an indication and not a good one at that. So at the end of the day,  lots of grey areas and none that can be enforced so most likely marketing data, so lots of ways to embellish the product.

Having said all that, if I bought a game real that claimed it could produce 15Kg of drag and I could only get 5kg of drag then I would be taking it back, and if the store or manufacturer refused a refund or exchange then I would be taking it up with the Office of Fair Trading as it would not be fit for purpose or faulty. If the reel could produce 15kg of drag but only for a 30m run before fading then that would be a gray area as technically it did produce the stated 15kg albeit only temporarily. That is the realm of legal teams!

Well that sucks Ed , some companies don't give a rats after they have your money. I'm pretty sure good Aussie companies like Alvey or Wilson would have a very different attitude . I know for a fact the guys at wilson are a stand up bunch that stand by their products and the best part is they don't talk crap.

I am sure that if it came to the scenario I mentioned most of the shops would do the right thing, as all you would have to do is bad mouth the problem on the internet and they would lose a lot more in sales, usually you will get what the blurb says on the box but one can't expect a small reel to have the same performance as a bigger one. So if you hooked a large tuna it will probably spool or smoke a smaller reel whereas you may have a better chance with a larger one, which may handle multiple large tuna one after the other.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

I am sure that if it came to the scenario I mentioned most of the shops would do the right thing, as all you would have to do is bad mouth the problem on the internet and they would lose a lot more in sales, usually you will get what the blurb says on the box but one can't expect a small reel to have the same performance as a bigger one. So if you hooked a large tuna it will probably spool or smoke a smaller reel whereas you may have a better chance with a larger one, which may handle multiple large tuna one after the other.

Nah just have to chase them with the boat a couple of times, I normally stop after 2 long tails up around the 20kg mark, takes around 2 hours to boat when using the light gear after 2 longtails it's rum time, even the little 8 kg jobs can take 40 minutes. That's why I bought the revo beast their just built tough 

A few years ago  I was undecided about which LP bait casting reel to buy,  the Abu Toro Revo Beast T2 BST60 or the Daiwa LEXA HD 400HS-P which were similar specifications wise, umm'ed and err'd for ages,  but in the end I bought  the TICA UZIO GCB 300H which was about a third of the price compared to the other two at that time, what I do miss in it though, is a magnetic brake as it only has the centrifugal brake.

But for chasing smallish tuna I would still much prefer to use my Fathom FTH15LD2 which has only 9Kg of drag VS the 15Kg of the Uzio, but that is just me as I don't use light line and provided I don't have to cast with it.

On 22/12/2020 at 11:02 PM, Ed. said:

A few years ago  I was undecided about which LP bait casting reel to buy,  the Abu Toro Revo Beast T2 BST60 or the Daiwa LEXA HD 400HS-P which were similar specifications wise, umm'ed and err'd for ages,  but in the end I bought  the TICA UZIO GCB 300H which was about a third of the price compared to the other two at that time, what I do miss in it though, is a magnetic brake as it only has the centrifugal brake.

But for chasing smallish tuna I would still much prefer to use my Fathom FTH15LD2 which has only 9Kg of drag VS the 15Kg of the Uzio, but that is just me as I don't use light line and provided I don't have to cast with it.

Yeah everyone has their own preferences of fishing styles , I'm also becoming fast attached to the combat plus fantastic to use also but half the price of the beast , I'm pretty happy with the gear I have now I think I will stop looking untill this new bit of gear I heard of comes out , must be good I was told to keep It quiet.

On 23/12/2020 at 10:43 PM, Sneaky1 said:

Yeah everyone has their own preferences of fishing styles , I'm also becoming fast attached to the combat plus fantastic to use also but half the price of the beast , I'm pretty happy with the gear I have now I think I will stop looking untill this new bit of gear I heard of comes out , must be good I was told to keep It quiet.

I think that the Combat Plus is already out, I saw an advert for it at MO Tackle.