AFO Sharking Trip In Summer... Who's Keen?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

On 17/12/2020 at 9:05 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

It will run from 1st of January until the 31st of January.

21 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I think we open it up to anyone that catches a shark over the period rather than only nominees. As far as the secret signal goes, I think we could go without it and rely on member honesty.

Now we just need a starting date. Maybe 15 January to 14 February ??

Hi Brian

Yep, that's actually a really good idea. Not everyone will see this thread so I suppose people can just be told as they do reports.

When I did the post discussing some stuff, I said just the entire January (1st-31st). We can change it if you think it'll suit members better though/if it suits you better.

Cheers Hamish

36 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I reckon a lot of members won't get out for a fish around the Christmas/New Year holiday period with family commitments etc, so thought from the 15th might be better. Happy to go along with what you decide though. (I didn't remember your 1st dates, sorry).

25 minutes ago, christophagus said:

Probably start a new topic with the comp details, requirements etc. keep that topic as the one to post catches, keep this one as the banter topic

Hey Brian and Chris

Yes, that's a good point Brian - Chrissy time is one of the busiest times on the water so I should've thought of that already. I think I'll make it from the 15th January until the 15th February.

Chris, I was planning to do that actually. I will make it now, and put some all the important information up in it. 

Cheers Hamish

@AUS-BNE-FISHO

Put my name down Hamish.  I am unlikely to actually target them (i caught enough when doing research for uni) but I often catch them anyway.  and besides, i did soooo well in the state of origin comp i figured i might as well enter another comp and fail epically.

also - assuming as the event organizer you are banned from entering or participating in the comp for fear of claims of nepitism? if no-one has raised this before I certainly am now. 😛 

• ellicat changed the title to AFO Sharking Trip In Summer... Who's Keen?
11 minutes ago, benno573 said:

@AUS-BNE-FISHO

Put my name down Hamish.  I am unlikely to actually target them (i caught enough when doing research for uni) but I often catch them anyway.  and besides, i did soooo well in the state of origin comp i figured i might as well enter another comp and fail epically.

also - assuming as the event organizer you are banned from entering or participating in the comp for fear of claims of nepitism? if no-one has raised this before I certainly am now. 😛 

Sure thing Benno, hopefully you do get out.

As for me not being able to fish... Um. I’ll get back to you with that, 😂

Cheers Hamish

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, christophagus said:

January will be a great month. They are starting to be caught now and will continue to get better over summer. @Kat I’m fairly confident we can get you into a shark! Right place with the right bait, very confident it will happen

January will now be known as shark month! By then my boat floor will be fixed and I will be able to take some people out 

Is your boat floor fixed? Lol

On 03/11/2020 at 12:52 PM, christophagus said:

i understand where you are coming from Kat, and its a hard question to answer. Is my thrill enough of a justification to go fishing in general? for me it is. The whole idea of sports fishing has developed into a huge industry of which many people make a living from. Plus my thrill extends past just fighting an catching a fish. i love the experience of being in such close contact to such a cool animal. Can only learn so much from a book or internet video.

i think it also comes down to individuals morals. As someone who as copped a lot of flak for shark fishing in the past, one thing ive found interesting is that people have zero problem with me fishing for mullet to then cut into pieces to use as bait to catch bream, but for some reason when you say the word shark...people lose their bananas. As if sharks have more feelings then other fish etc. Are my actions of taking a mullet purely for bait to catch other fish justified? for me it is. Also, the bigger the shark, the more "offended" people tend to become. When you say to people that you tag sharks for a research program, their anger usually magically disappears. Which i think just shows peoples moral compass limits on the issue. 

@Drop Bear makes a great point about the experience and education side to it. I once caught an extremely rare type of hammerhead shark in the bay which i tagged and released. I was the contacted by someone from a university who wanted as much detail about the shark, where and how it was caught etc. They were very surprised to see this capture. This wouldn't have happened if i wasn't fishing with the intent to release. Also begs the question, if someone else was to capture this and taken it to eat...would have taken a very rare shark thinking it was just a normal hammer of legal size, which was my thought at the time.

To each their own, and you make some really valid points. This will be a topic that will always be slightly contentious issue. But good on you for outlining your point of view on the matter and not just bad mouthing the couple in this video. If only everyone else was that civil and nice lol

Technically anything with nerves and a Conscious can feel pain . I think people tend to think the smaller the fish the less live/living/complex the fish is which isn’t really true . Different speices of fish are more sensitive to feel then others some also have higher IQ and memory it really depents on a lot of things including the nervous system which is responsible for senses and the brain for consciousness. Recent evidence has shown some plants even have a nervous system and can feel pain 

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

I would love for science to prove that plants feel pain...how would a vegan react to that.

Technically no plants have a nervous system nor can feel pain as we know so far but a lot of plants can feel touch and sunlight And make sound but unfortunately humans can’t hear the sounds because of their Frequency some can even move a little for example a Venus fly trap can move it’s mouth to trap fly’s. So theoretically plants have some sort of nervous system but nothing like a nervous system in humans and plants don’t have a brain to so I highly doubt plants have consciousness