Is this a Luderick or what?

Mission

Thanks, Hamish.

I got it at Carbrook, Riedel park boat ramp on Logan river last night.

cheers

Mission

Sorry Hamish, my mistake. you asked "how" and I answer "where"...

The fish was caught on a live small prawn, #4 circle hook, 15 lb FC leader line, #0.8 braid line, 7'6" spin rod 3~5kg. I cast the rig very near to the bank.

cheers mission  

28 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Merry Christmas @Mission. Since you are based in Queensland, do yourself a favour and get the Qld Fishing 2.0 app. It will help you identify fish immediately which will then help you decide whether to keep them or not. Nice luderick by the way.

Hi Scaley, thanks for your advise. 

I got QLD fishing 2 already since I saw a post recommend it before. However, this app suggest this fish as black jewfish, barramundi, or mulloway.....

At first glance, I thought this is a luderick absolutely. then I noticed that the belly is not silvery, the dorsal back shape is strange, and the mouth shape ( Personally, I think the mouth of Luderick look like a bird beak). So I look for help on web.

Cheers   

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Mission

That is sure a Luderick. Commonly called Blackfish. Good job on it as well as it's a mighty fine sized one.

Do you mind if I ask how it was caught?

Cheers Hamish

Sorry Hamish, my mistake. you asked "how" and I answer "where" before.

The fish was caught on a live small prawn, #4 circle hook, 15 lb FC leader line, #0.8 braid line, 7'6" spin rod 3~5kg. I cast the rig very near to the bank.

cheers mission  

Yeah lol those luderick will eat anything most people say they only eat sea cabbage but they eat anything from bread prawns small bait fish oysters basically the same diet as a bream they can also be caught on lures to . But the most effective bait I think is sea cabbage but I’ve hooked heaps of decent size luderick on bread they seem to love bread although I’ve been busted off by some of the bigger ones on 2lb leader might have to up the strength to 4lb leader so I can finally land these big fish. I’ve also found sea cabbage in bream guts to so it’s possible to catch bream on sea cabbage I’ve gutted a few bream now and found sea cabbage 

On 24/12/2020 at 4:44 PM, Mission said:

Thanks, Hamish.

I got it at Carbrook, Riedel park boat ramp on Logan river last night.

cheers

Mission

Sorry Hamish, my mistake. you asked "how" and I answer "where"...

cheers mission  

Thanks for the tips Mission - Luderick are one of the fish I've never caught but want too desperately... Especially on silly string. They're supposed to be top fighters. I might try Bro's technique with bread if I ever get there.

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks for the tips Mission - Luderick are one of the fish I've never caught but want too desperately... Especially on silly string. They're supposed to be top fighters. I might try Bro's technique with bread if I ever get there.

Cheers Hamish

Wish you a good luck, Hamish. I am eager to hear the good news from you.

Cheers Mission