Good when fishing shows tell the truth

Kenne

Get P off when watching fishing shows and every lure cast is a fish.. And every fish is a beutifull fish, Never catch any ugly ones.  Was watching Mark Berg the other morning and he was in some great place and pulling in huge fish then at the end he said how hard it was. Was doing about 200 cast to get a bite.  I do about 20 casts and thats enought for me go back to bait.How long do others cast for.

57 minutes ago, Kenne said:

Get P off when watching fishing shows and every lure cast is a fish.. And every fish is a beutifull fish, Never catch any ugly ones.  Was watching Mark Berg the other morning and he was in some great place and pulling in huge fish then at the end he said how hard it was. Was doing about 200 cast to get a bite.  I do about 20 casts and thats enought for me go back to bait.How long do others cast for.

Depends on what your chasing and if their schooled up and feeding , fish like flathead we cruise around with the electric for a 3 hour window and just keep throwing plastics. Tuna is an all day thing between schools,  and everything else we stop casting when they stop chasing. Thing with fishing shows is they don't film if their not catching and alot of the time they have guides putting them on the fish. Guys like Nigel Webster,  Al Mcglashin , the boys from big angry fish and Michael Guest are the best ones to learn stuff off they all put alot of time into finding their own spots and researching how fish behave in different areas. But Mark Berg and the other guys are still fun to watch . Except for Worsteling , how annoying is he !!! I could quite happily hi 5 his face with my thong.

5 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Depends on what your chasing and if their schooled up and feeding , fish like flathead we cruise around with the electric for a 3 hour window and just keep throwing plastics. Tuna is an all day thing between schools,  and everything else we stop casting when they stop chasing. Thing with fishing shows is they don't film if their not catching and alot of the time they have guides putting them on the fish. Guys like Nigel Webster,  Al Mcglashin , the boys from big angry fish and Michael Guest are the best ones to learn stuff off they all put alot of time into finding their own spots and researching how fish behave in different areas. But Mark Berg and the other guys are still fun to watch . Except for Worsteling , how annoying is he !!! I could quite happily hi 5 his face with my thong.

Cant cop Worstelling either. Cant watch mcglashin either, How he films himself commentating his fishing show is truly weird and annoying.

Depends on what your fishing for.

I have 4 rods set up with 4 lures.  2 types/ styles plastic and varied weight. A metal slug, and a halco 130max. And other rods set up for different bait fishing types.

I rotate lure rods every half a dozen casts or so. Or if one is working i stick with it til it lucks out. Then go back on rotation. Not sure how many casts but there is no time waste between.

This is mainly at anchor, 20 mtr deep and fishing for Mac species, cobia and whatever else is roaming...

Mainly I dont wast time while waiting for a lure to sink. I work another until the other lure sinks to the bottom. Then I leave it there until I have finished retrieving then cast that lure out to sink.. Then work the one that is already out and sunk...

I also have live bait and or floating pillys out while I work 2 lure rods out..

Usually when i hook a fish i put that rod in the holder... let em run a bit while I clear some of the other rods.. Busy times when you mainly solo fish.

1 hour ago, davostephens said:

Depends on what your fishing for.

I have 4 rods set up with 4 lures.  2 types/ styles plastic and varied weight. A metal slug, and a halco 130max. And other rods set up for different bait fishing types.

I rotate lure rods every half a dozen casts or so. Or if one is working i stick with it til it lucks out. Then go back on rotation. Not sure how many casts but there is no time waste between.

This is mainly at anchor, 20 mtr deep and fishing for Mac species, cobia and whatever else is roaming...

Mainly I dont wast time while waiting for a lure to sink. I work another until the other lure sinks to the bottom. Then I leave it there until I have finished retrieving then cast that lure out to sink.. Then work the one that is already out and sunk...

I also have live bait and or floating pillys out while I work 2 lure rods out..

Usually when i hook a fish i put that rod in the holder... let em run a bit while I clear some of the other rods.. Busy times when you mainly solo fish.

Bloody hell, I got tired just from reading that. Haha

ahh well

when u only got a few hrs to fish, and the way the trade winds blow up home your lucky to get one decent day a month.

So make the most of it. everything pre rigged.  20 spare rigs ready to swap/ clip on if rigs damaged or sharked.

If I nail a few quick I head home before it gets too hot.

On 27/12/2020 at 10:40 PM, Kenne said:

Hi Kenne

Yeah, it's sure bloody annoying. I can stand most people but those who are full of advertisements or BS I hate.

To answer the question about casting... I'm not much of a lure fisho, but will normally have a rod out with bait while I fish with lures. So I can cast for the entire duration of the session.

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Davo, that's a big way to catch fish! Haha.

56 minutes ago, Kat said:

Ha ha ha.  Me too. I generally see the younger fishos out with their lures only.  However I get exhausted just trying to manage two lines out at a time on land.  From a boat it is a little easier.

Lure fishing seems to be the craze today (it is). There’s nothing wrong with it and I love it, but one thing I’ve noticed is that you get a lot more praise for getting a fish on a lure than bait. Not on here, but certainly on most social media. Don’t quite know why but it’s a fun way to fish anyways.

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Ha ha ha.  Me too. I generally see the younger fishos out with their lures only.  However I get exhausted just trying to manage two lines out at a time on land.  From a boat it is a little easier.

I mainly use lures I rarely use bait besides bread but even then I don’t use bread that often . I think a lot of people around my age who actually take fishing seriously can’t be bothered to use bait . For me it’s a lot easier to catch a feed of fish on plastics then it is bait I’ve just found The fish are a lot better size .Although I can catch a bunch of small fish on bait I would rather catch slightly less fish but Better quality fish for example I might catch 12 fish on bait but only 1-3 of those fish would be legal but with lures i might catch 6-7 fish and 5 of them will probably be legal 

ha ha Hamish and @Breaming with bro.  I agree lures would be easier and less messy but I just can't get into them.  Have had two really good bites and good runs and busted off.  Caught a couple of little whiting on lures.  That's it!  Only new to fishing so still time to learn.  I am definitely not set in my ways will keep trying and learning.  

Just make sure you present you’re lure well to . I see a lot of people using lures and saying stuff like they don’t work meanwhile they have a 7 gram jig head with a massive hook rigged on to a little 2.5 inch plastic that’s all bent up and the Combo their using is a $30 Jarvis Walker bait fishing combo. The gear you use and how you present you’re lure is everything when lure fishing there is no such thing as a bad fishing technique only the person using the technique can make it bad

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, GregN70 said:

Fishing is really hard work. For instance, i've been trying to catch a Barramundi & Threadfin around the Rockhampton/Port Alma region for a few years now, and if look back and add up my time on the water and estimate the number of casts it works out to 35,560 casts, with not a fish to show.

I know the feeling.