Baitrunner 6000d

My brother recently suggested I need a baitrunner I'm not that clued up on egg beaters I only have a few so I looked into them. My brother is a shimano man but I had a look at the new Penn live liner with the dual setting as I've watched Michael Guest use them , so I had a quick chat with Pete about them, as usual he was brutally honest let's just say he is not a fan, ( trying to keep it g rated ) . He did say lots of good stuff about the baitrunner 6000d so I ended up ordering that through mo tackle with the gift cards I got for christmas . Has anyone had any bad experiences with baitrunners ?

I have a Shimano 6000d baitrunner. It has pretty fine tuning on the baitrunner 'drag' bit which is a good thing. I have 50lb braid on it but have never caught anything that's really tested it but I feel it's a pretty tough reel. Can't say I've had any bad experiences.

I also have an el cheapo baitrunner (can't remember the brand) that I've used for a long time without drama.

You do realise that you will now need a new rod to match it with. lol

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

I have a Shimano 6000 (d?) baitrunner. It has pretty fine tuning on the baitrunner 'drag' bit which is a good thing. I have 50lb braid on it but have never caught anything that's really tested it but I feel it's a pretty tough reel. Can't say I've had any bad experiences.

I also have an el cheapo baitrunner (can't remember the brand) that I've used for a long time without drama.

You do realise that you will now need a new rod to match it with. lol

Hahaha, I got the baitrunner for the new texalium I got the other day , I'm going to have to get a new rod stand now , it's getting a bit crowded now

16093278351213133556664490845689.jpg

5 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Is that your only rod stand or are the rest of your rods under the doona?

Nah that's the only one , I gave a couple combos away so I could squeeze more in plus I didn't use them they were a bit long for the boat and I'm not keen on land based anymore

Back on topic - the new Shimano baitrunners aren’t as bulletproof as the older versions but they do the job. I use the cheap silver version on my beach rod. The gold ones have a nicer handle and an extra bearing but I couldn’t justify the extra $$ especially in the sand. I have a Thunnus 8000 for boat work and its the tits! Light, strong with a smooth, heavy drag. 

I think Shimano invented the dual drag baitrunner system. They have definitely perfected it over time. The Penn liveliners are way heavier in my opinion. The 6000D should last you a good number of fish

37 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Well you definitely have a problem then - you don’t have anywhere near enough rods! 😂

Nah I have enough , just going to buy a bigger stand ((social distancing and all that crap) just waiting for this new one coming ou th and I will stop for a while

6 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Back on topic - the new Shimano baitrunners aren’t as bulletproof as the older versions but they do the job. I use the cheap silver version on my beach rod. The gold ones have a nicer handle and an extra bearing but I couldn’t justify the extra $$ especially in the sand. I have a Thunnus 8000 for boat work and its the tits! Light, strong with a smooth, heavy drag. 

I think Shimano invented the dual drag baitrunner system. They have definitely perfected it over time. The Penn liveliners are way heavier in my opinion. The 6000D should last you a good number of fish

Yep the live liners weight was one of the things Pete was saying he wasn't a fan of and the new model has a few more things that annoy him too

10 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

I have an 8000d and have had no issues at all. It would be at least 5 years old. 

Nice , I would be happy with 5 years, and by the size of the squire I've been getting lately I don't think it will be working so hard.

Personally I think a reel with a aluminium main gear would work better but they are more expensive but i think that those baitrunners D reels would be fine anyway you would just get more life out of the ones with Hagane Gear but they are more expensive .i rekon those baitrunner D reels look good I’ve seen a few people using them and they look excellent for their price range . Not really sure on those penn reels as they are heavier and also They have super small drive gears like really small like a 2500 daiwa reel will most likely have a bigger main gear then a 4000 size penn reel 

40 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Personally I think a reel with a aluminium main gear would work better but they are more expensive but i think that those baitrunners D reels would be fine anyway you would just get more life out of the ones with Hagane Gear but they are more expensive .i rekon those baitrunner D reels look good I’ve seen a few people using them and they look excellent for their price range . Not really sure on those penn reels as they are heavier and also They have super small drive gears like really small like a 2500 daiwa reel will most likely have a bigger main gear then a 4000 size penn reel 

I know the Penn spinfisher are bomb proof I was just thinking the live liners would have the same internals but obviously different drag systems the new ones have 2 positions on the bait lever, and Michael Guest was slaying snapper and jew with them. I also know Ed is a Penn fan and speaks highly of them so I deffinitely had to check them out. My brother and pete put the final word in so I went with the baitrunner but if I had known about the thunuss I would have grabbed that. For the last 30 something years I've used baitcasters and overheads on everything so I havnt bothered with egg beaters and am not aware of what's good and what's not.

16 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah there really isn’t any thing wrong with penn reels I just think there is better for the price hamish uses those penn spin fishers and seem to hold up well

Yeah my mate Reece has caught over 40 sailfish on his 7500 spinfisher, still going strong . I've just had better feedback on the shimano baitrunner style reels. I'm pretty excited about this thunnus it looks and sounds like a fantastic reel

34 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah there really isn’t any thing wrong with penn reels I just think there is better for the price hamish uses those penn spin fishers and seem to hold up well

Haha young Hamish is a champion I think he is going to show up alot of us older guys .

4 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Update after reading a reply from Andrew_p I had a look at the thunnus so I gave Mo tackle a buzz, I'm doing a swap plus cash adjustment the thunnus looks like the better reel for the texalium . Thanks @Andrew_P

Hey Sneaky

That's good. I know @tiotony purchased a Thunus as an upgrade so he could land the larger fish he gets off the beach up North. I hope it serves you well. (And keep in mind he is landing metre plus barra, salmon, etc).

3 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Hey BwB

Yeah, they are pretty good all rounders. You can fit a fair whack of line on them and the drag is pretty good too. They are a bit heavy so probably not the best for lots of casting though. Mine has gotten a bit (when I say a 'bit' I mean a little at most) clunky as I use it more.

2 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Haha young Hamish is a champion I think he is going to show up alot of us older guys .

Thanks Sneaky! One day I sure hope 😉 

Cheers Hamish

I've been doing a lot of landbased livebaiting the last few years and as such gone through a few baitfeeder style reels. My findings:

The Baitrunner's 'free spool' functions well but the drag is way too rough for light braid/ decent size fish. I still have a 2500 size I'll likely never use again if anyone wants it.

The Penn Liveliner seems a robust reel and the drag is fairly smooth. However, the 'bait feed' is far from free spool and I've had a lot of fish spitting livies because the 'free spool' is actually about 25% drag setting. Again I still have a 2500 size I'll likely never use again if anyone wants it. 

Have a mate who uses the Okuma bait feeders for the same fishing style (beach livebaiting) and he seems to have no complaints. However they are a fairly low end reel and so maybe a bit rough and not have a long life - I literally saw him suffer an unexpected bustup on a massive barra just yesterday afternoon - possibly due to rough drag.

The two Thunnus I just got I've used for a few sessions and so far seem flawless. Seem to be the best bait feeder style on the market. Very smooth reels and got a metre barra last night and seven salmon this morning using them - no complaints from me.

2 hours ago, tiotony said:

I've been doing a lot of landbased livebaiting the last few years and as such gone through a few baitfeeder style reels. My findings:

The Baitrunner's 'free spool' functions well but the drag is way too rough for light braid/ decent size fish. I still have a 2500 size I'll likely never use again if anyone wants it.

The Penn Liveliner seems a robust reel and the drag is fairly smooth. However, the 'bait feed' is far from free spool and I've had a lot of fish spitting livies because the 'free spool' is actually about 25% drag setting. Again I still have a 2500 size I'll likely never use again if anyone wants it. 

Have a mate who uses the Okuma bait feeders for the same fishing style (beach livebaiting) and he seems to have no complaints. However they are a fairly low end reel and so maybe a bit rough and not have a long life - I literally saw him suffer an unexpected bustup on a massive barra just yesterday afternoon - possibly due to rough drag.

The two Thunnus I just got I've used for a few sessions and so far seem flawless. Seem to be the best bait feeder style on the market. Very smooth reels and got a metre barra last night and seven salmon this morning using them - no complaints from me.

Yeah i read up on them this morning after Andrew_p gave them a good rap , I didn't even know they existed until this morning . I'm getting excited about picking it up . Congrats on last night's and this morning's sessions

36 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Yeah i read up on them this morning after Andrew_p gave them a good rap , I didn't even know they existed until this morning . I'm getting excited about picking it up . Congrats on last night's and this morning's sessions

I presume you mean a new Thunnus. Did you win lotto lately by any chance? New cars, bikes, live fibres, thunnuses.

21 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Me either till I researched; seems basically a Stradic level reel but with baitrunner function. Felt way more confident keeping the pressure on fish this morning when the salmon were really pumping, rather than going 'softly softly' for fear of getting busted on a sudden surging run. Drag smoothness felt like I was using a Daiwa Sol, and I could pump and wind really well when fish were turned and back off easily when they were close to shore.

Didn't mention (because don't have photo proof) but hooked a submarine last night that I had on for about 30 minutes before it busted me on the only bouy on the beach (probably big shark actually), but whole time felt confident in the drag    

1 minute ago, tiotony said:

Me either till I researched; seems basically a Stradic level reel but with baitrunner function. Felt way more confident keeping the pressure on fish this morning when the salmon were really pumping, rather than going 'softly softly' for fear of getting busted on a sudden surging run. Drag smoothness felt like I was using a Daiwa Sol, and I could pump and wind really well when fish were turned and back off easily when they were close to shore.

Didn't mention (because don't have photo proof) but hooked a submarine last night that I had on for about 30 minutes before it busted me on the only bouy on the beach (probably big shark actually), but whole time felt confident in the drag    

That's awesome should be great for snapper and jew

6 hours ago, tiotony said:

The Penn Liveliner seems a robust reel and the drag is fairly smooth. However, the 'bait feed' is far from free spool and I've had a lot of fish spitting livies because the 'free spool' is actually about 25% drag setting.

Not quite right, unless I am mistaken, the SSVI version has 4 lever drag settings and they can be adjusted with the special tool that came with the reel, just take the rear cap off completely and set a more suitable liveliner  drag if you want it lighter. The SSV version had also 4 settings but you adjust that liveliner drag setting by screwing the rear cap in or out. Personally I prefer the older SSV version to set the liveliner drag.

3 hours ago, GregOug said:

I presume you mean a new Thunnus. Did you win lotto lately by any chance? New cars, bikes, live fibres, thunnuses.

Nope I work hard I pay my taxes and have investments my brother made with our money treat us well

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

Not quite right, unless I am mistaken, the SSVI version has 4 lever drag settings and they can be adjusted with the special tool that came with the reel, just take the rear cap off completely and set a more suitable liveliner  drag if you want it lighter. The SSV version had also 4 settings but you adjust that liveliner drag setting by screwing the rear cap in or out. Personally I prefer the older SSV version to set the liveliner drag.

Yeah that ssvl was the one he said was a pain in the bum, I watched reel action i thought he said 2 settings but sounds like I heard wrong. But I'm happy with the thunnus now

Happy New Years everyone sorry to hijack the thread back to topic now . I know you got spooled but when I get spooled i usually hold the spool on the last 2 or 3 metres of line so I don’t actually get spooled the line just snaps but they might be a bit harder with heavier gear I usually do it with gloves on to get a solid grip

1 minute ago, GregOug said:

Ah. The hard way then.

Yes unfortunately , sold 1 of the Harleys to fund the heart  transplant in the corvette and dipped into savings for the brake and suspension upgrade and right hand drive conversion

3 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Hopefully it will all be worth it. You’ll need to go to the Northern Territory though to open her out.

She won't be anywhere near as wild as the rx3 , this one will be street legal or the kids will whinge

On 31/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, tiotony said:

The Baitrunner's 'free spool' functions well but the drag is way too rough for light braid/ decent size fish. I still have a 2500 size I'll likely never use again if anyone wants 

That’s strange because when I was researching the Thunnus the other day I saw a few articles which stated that the Baitrunner D and the Thunnus use the same drag system. Can’t find all the reports I perused but this is one of them.

https://saltedangler.com/spinning-reels/shimano-thunnus-ci4-review/

1 hour ago, GregOug said:

That’s strange because when I was researching the Thunnus the other day I saw a few articles which stated that the Baitrunner D and the Thunnus use the same drag system. Can’t find all the reports I perused but this is one of them.

https://saltedangler.com/spinning-reels/shimano-thunnus-ci4-review/

Yep that's the review that popped up when I googled them plus the comments from Andrew_p and tIotony sealed the deal plus their lighter and apparently great if you also want to throw stickbaits around. Plus I'm thinking it would be a little better balanced on the texalium being a lighter reel. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the 6000d isn't good all I'm saying is on a texalium I think the thunnus would make a better balanced combo for me.

Picked up the thunnus yesterday feels good on the texalium . Big thanks to @Andrew P and @tiotonyfor the info provided . I spooied it up with 15lb braid when I got home this afternoon. I ended up staying in Coffs overnight and grabbed some goodies from mo tackle. While I was in there I bumped into my brothers mate Greg who ended up taking me out to his car and gave me some soft plastics to try that haven't yet been released in Australia  so I got pretty excited then about an hour into the trip home wifey called me and told me were going into lock down. 

20210107_193053.jpg