Threadies in the Brissy river

JosephFarley

G'day fishos. I'm looking at going down to the Brissy river in the next couple of days targeting threadies. I will probably fish near the gateway bridge but know completely nothing about fishing threadies. I'm looking at cast netting some herring and prawns and using live bait. What are the best rigs and what size hooks and sinkers should I be looking for to use. Any other tips will also be appreciated.

Thanks 👍

Hi Joseph

Around the Gateway Bridge is supposed to be an OK spot... I've never really fished there though.

For threadies, you can really use a trace anywhere from 30LB-80LB. Anything lighter than 30LB you may get busted off, and really, the only reason I use 80LB is so I can catch bullies too. 😉 

A size 3-6 Ball/Bean Sinker should be all that is needed to get you bait down. A large-ish barrel swivel with about 50CM-1M of trace would be suitable after. Try using a 3/o-6/o circle hook based on the size of your bait. About a 15LB-30LB mainline should be adequate, so that should get you going for the rig.

The best baits are live and fresh bait. Any live Bony Bream, Silver Biddies, Poddy Mullet, and Prawns have worked well for me. Half Frog-Mouth pilchards have landed me a couple threadies too. I've only ever caught one small one on servo prawns (60CM), so maybe try and avoid that. Really, most things you get in your net will go alright, as long as it's not Glassy or Scat. They're the worst thing ever!

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers Hamish

11 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Joseph

Around the Gateway Bridge is supposed to be an OK spot... I've never really fished there though.

For threadies, you can really use a trace anywhere from 30LB-80LB. Anything lighter than 30LB you may get busted off, and really, the only reason I use 80LB is so I can catch bullies too. 😉 

A size 3-6 Ball/Bean Sinker should be all that is needed to get you bait down. A large-ish barrel swivel with about 50CM-1M of trace would be suitable after. Try using a 3/o-6/o circle hook based on the size of your bait. About a 15LB-30LB mainline should be adequate, so that should get you going for the rig.

The best baits are live and fresh bait. Any live Bony Bream, Silver Biddies, Poddy Mullet, and Prawns have worked well for me. Half Frog-Mouth pilchards have landed me a couple threadies too. I've only ever caught one small one on servo prawns (60CM), so maybe try and avoid that. Really, most things you get in your net will go alright, as long as it's not Glassy or Scat. They're the worst thing ever!

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers Hamish

Thanks for the help mate. What's your best spot for them? Cheers.

3 minutes ago, JosephFarley said:

Thanks for the help mate. What's your best spot for them? Cheers.

Hey Joseph

Haha, my best Spot is the one marked with a big X. 

You can get them all throughout the river from the mouth to up at Darra. There's heaps of places. Your best bet would be trying your local park or spot, and seeing if you can work it out. It was yonks before I got a Shark or Thready at my spot, but as soon as I started trying I started catching more and more.

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Joseph

Haha, my best Spot is the one marked with a big X. 

You can get them all throughout the river from the mouth to up at Darra. There's heaps of places. Your best bet would be trying your local park or spot, and seeing if you can work it out. It was yonks before I got a Shark or Thready at my spot, but as soon as I started trying I started catching more and more.

Cheers Hamish

Also mate, do you have fishbrain? If you do please let me know your name and I'll give U a follow. Cheers for the help mate🤙