Is this salt or rust on my trailer? (and is this crack a concern)

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey guys, 

I felt that I gave my boat and galv trailer a very thorough wash after using it last. Cleaned the whole thing from top to bottom, giving the trailer special attention. About a week or so later when I saw my boat again I noticed these white spots all over the trailer, and am wondering if its just salt or white rust? Have attached images. 

My trailer has been painted with tectyl 506 as well about a month or two ago. 

Have also attached a close up of a weld on the trailer, is this concerning for a brand new trailer? Hope you can make out the crack (pointed to with orange arrows) that goes across each weld. 

IMG_20210105_191025.jpg

IMG_20210101_140623.jpg

IMG_20210105_192116.jpg

IMG_20210103_101712.jpg

With this last image, these dark grey spots have been there for a while. I had to apply tectyl in stages over two weekends. Does it look like corrosion has occurred here on the part that hadn't been coated yet? 

Cheers! 

I don't have the knowledge to help you unfortunately @Ryannnnnnnn but found this info via a quick web search:  http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-147083.html

The close up of the weld certainly doesn't look real great to me for a brand new trailer - I'd be asking some questions. Where on the trailer is it?

1 hour ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Hey @GregOug I got the trailer about 2 months ago and has been used probably about 4 or 5 times. It's a dunbier loader pro

Well, that has me worried then. Mine’s a Dunbier as well. Although it has none of those concerns yet. I’d be taking it back for more than just the weld. That’s ridiculous. If mine goes like that I’ll be demanding my money back and going elsewhere!

Hey @GregOug thanks for that article that was interesting. The trailer is always stored in a shed and is washed with rain water. I'm baffled as to how any water has penetrated through the tectyl - perhaps the application is too thin? It was applied with a paint brush and had days to cure before seeing any salt water. 

Dunbier has agreed to fix the weld, and from the few images they believe there was moisture stuck in between the surface and the application of tectyl.. However I made sure it was cleaned throughly and waited days between washing when applying the tectyl, and did it in the afternoon to avoid possibility of dew on the surface.

They have advised to immediately remove the tectyl from trailer. Not sure how I would even do that. 

When touching the rust it's powdery to touch

This is the worst part of the trailer, right up the back 

IMG_20210107_175548.jpg

34 minutes ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Hey @GregOug thanks for that article that was interesting. The trailer is always stored in a shed and is washed with rain water. I'm baffled as to how any water has penetrated through the tectyl - perhaps the application is too thin? It was applied with a paint brush and had days to cure before seeing any salt water. 

I think your problem is that you washed it with rainwater. The article says the zinc only reacts with pure water, in your case, the rain water. Town water is not pure and is thus okay. 

26 minutes ago, GregOug said:
1 hour ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

I think your problem is that you washed it with rainwater. The article says the zinc only reacts with pure water, in your case, the rain water. Town water is not pure and is thus okay. 

Expand  

Could be on the money there @GregOug thanks for the help troubleshooting 😊

Yeah really disappointing to see that you have done all the research in keeping the maintenance up but still having issues.

@Junky is onto it, a gal trailer nowdays is just not as good as ones done from say a decade ago.

It is unfortunately all about making a buck, the cynic in me thinks the industry is trying to push boaties onto more expensive alloy / aluminium trailers so they don't spend the time/dollars on producing quality Gal trailers.

Hi Haz,

Read the article carefully and thoroughly. The zinc coating on newly galvanised surfaces is highly reactive. Over time the zinc reacts with carbon dioxide to form a protective film over the surface. If, however, the zinc is exposed to pure H2O (water), the zinc reacts with it instead and forms the white rust you are experiencing. The solution is set out in the article. I have included relevant extracts below, and bolded the most important sections. Hopefully this will be of some help.

Zinc’s durability is established by the stable oxides that form on the surface of this element and these oxides form slowly as zinc is exposed to air. Mostly, carbon dioxide contributes to the formation of these stable oxides.

The freshly galvanized steelwork makes zinc’s surface extremely susceptible since it has been exposed to some level of oxidation.

Pure water (H2O) does not contain any dissolved salts or minerals, and will react swiftly with zinc to form zinc hydroxide—a bulky white and moderately unstable oxide of zinc. When newly galvanized steel is exposed to pure water (for example, rain, dew, or condensation) in an oxygen-deficient setting, the water will continue to react with zinc and slowly corrode the coating.

After the galvanized surface has been compromised and the zinc hydroxide compounds have developed, it is better to remove the oxide products from the surface, as:

• Their presence stops the development of stable carbonate-based oxides
  • They are unappealing

Severe White Rusting

Severe white rusting is characterized by extremely heavy oxide deposits. The products may be fixed together. Regions under the oxidized area may be almost black, and display signs of red rust. The degree to which the galvanized coating has been damaged can be established by checking the thickness of the coating. Remedial treatment to restore the coating should be performed as given below:

• The affected region should be buffed or wire brushed, to remove all oxidation products and rust
  • One or two coatings of approved epoxy zinc-rich paint should be applied, to achieve the necessary dry film thickness of at least 100 µm.

cheers

Greg

Great research and assistance there @GregOug.  If I bought a brand new trailer and it was rusting just from rain water I wouldn't be real happy. @Haz91a, you said you are storing it outside, which therefore shouldn't be an issue according to this info from Greg:  Pure water (H2O) does not contain any dissolved salts or minerals, and will react swiftly with zinc to form zinc hydroxide—a bulky white and moderately unstable oxide of zinc. When newly galvanized steel is exposed to pure water (for example, rain, dew, or condensation) in an oxygen-deficient setting, the water will continue to react with zinc and slowly corrode the coating.

Unless the dealer put large stickers on the trailer saying 'Caution, don't let rain fall on this brand new trailer' I would be asking some serious questions. Note I'm not an expert on this and could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem right to me that it is OK to expect this from a brand new trailer.

48 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great research and assistance there @GregOug.  If I bought a brand new trailer and it was rusting just from rain water I wouldn't be real happy. @Haz91a, you said you are storing it outside, which therefore shouldn't be an issue according to this info from Greg:  Pure water (H2O) does not contain any dissolved salts or minerals, and will react swiftly with zinc to form zinc hydroxide—a bulky white and moderately unstable oxide of zinc. When newly galvanized steel is exposed to pure water (for example, rain, dew, or condensation) in an oxygen-deficient setting, the water will continue to react with zinc and slowly corrode the coating.

Unless the dealer put large stickers on the trailer saying 'Caution, don't let rain fall on this brand new trailer' I would be asking some serious questions. Note I'm not an expert on this and could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem right to me that it is OK to expect this from a brand new trailer.

I agree totally with you @kmcrosby78. If it were my trailer, I would be demanding a refund. And I note your highlighting of the oxygen-deficient setting. Although, without knowing each trailer owners’ particular circumstances it is difficult to comment. Perhaps they cover the boat and trailer with a tarp or boat cover and the rain drips down onto the trailer. Regardless, it does seem there is a link. Both trailer owners either wash their trailer with rainwater or store it outside in the rain.

Interesting feedback, thanks guys.

I ended up spending a few hours with a wire brush on my trailer to try and stop any possible further corrosion. Underneath all the white powder had turned the metal dark grey. I was able to remove the bad dark grey spots with the wire brush (took photos though, if I need it). The spread of it was worse than I thought.

Some of you might cringe at the idea given it's tacky and there's probably better products out there, but fish oil has never failed me so I put a few litres of it into a new weed sprayer and doused the trailer with it. I assume other products do it too but I know that fish oil not only gives a protective barrier but it's meant to penetrate rust and inhibit further corrosion.

I tried to cover the inside of the trailer as well but couldn't. My plan was to get some rope down the length of the trailer and attach a sponge or rag covered in preventative then pull it through the inside of the trailer a few times.. Tried attaching the rope to something stiffer like a garden hose, and a long piece of wire but it kept getting stuck on something. Might review some of the handy methods people have mentioned on here.

What I don't understand is why they make the back half of the trailer so difficult to clean from the inside. The gap between the tail light plate and the rear access to the inside of the main frame is too small to fit a hose connection into. I stick a hose in the other end (at the front of trailer) but think by the time the water reaches the back of the trailer the water is just running along the bottom and not washing the sides and top. Not that I have any genius ideas on how it could be designed better, it just seems difficult. Might need to make something out of a hose that resembles a sprinkler (or just use a sprinkler!) and stick it up the length of the trailer each wash (if I can get it up there!).

Don't know how you're meant to wash the inside of the cross bars either (not sure if that's the right term, am referring to the bars that run across the width of trailer), as I can only see small holes at the very bottom and top in the middle. Wouldn't salt water pool in these when submerged, then drain out leaving salt residue inside?

The process of hot dip galvanizing requires high heat to melt the zinc.

Those little holes drilled everywhere is to let the zinc run all the

way thru everything. Without the holes the steel frame would explode.

And that's life threatening for the operator, I've seen the result when a

box section frame wasn't drilled properly.

IIRC, it's around 700/800 C.

@Ryannnnnnnn, I would be mightily p#ssed off if my brand new trailer looked like that or had any welds cracking.  I would be particularly concerned about what you can’t see - inside the box sections. For the crossmembers I take the nozzle off the hose and then stick the fitting hard up against the small holes to force water to run through the crossmember. My redco has one on each side and another at the lowest point so I do both sides. My last redco was 11 years old when I got rid of it because the rear crossmember was starting to rust. My new one is 3 years old and has some rust on 2 bolts, but nothing showing anywhere else. Then again, it is carrying a 4.4 tinnie which I can launch and retrieve without dunking the trailer so I expect to get a lot of years out of it.

I wonder if this white rust is common to Dunbier trailers? Personally I would be looking for a replacement, but maybe the work you did on it may have taken away that option.  Good luck with it.

I spoke to a galvanizing company yesterday about these issues you guys are having and he suggested you contact the  Galvanizers Association of Australia 03 9654 1266 and discuss the situation with them, although it is a bit late for you now that you have done it, but he also suggested not to use Tectyl to coat your trailers but instead to either use Lanolin or Diesel fuel as they help with the pacification process.

Cheers

Ed

21 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

@Ryannnnnnnn, I would be mightily p#ssed off if my brand new trailer looked like that or had any welds cracking.  I would be particularly concerned about what you can’t see - inside the box sections. For the crossmembers I take the nozzle off the hose and then stick the fitting hard up against the small holes to force water to run through the crossmember. My redco has one on each side and another at the lowest point so I do both sides. My last redco was 11 years old when I got rid of it because the rear crossmember was starting to rust. My new one is 3 years old and has some rust on 2 bolts, but nothing showing anywhere else. Then again, it is carrying a 4.4 tinnie which I can launch and retrieve without dunking the trailer so I expect to get a lot of years out of it.

I wonder if this white rust is common to Dunbier trailers? Personally I would be looking for a replacement, but maybe the work you did on it may have taken away that option.  Good luck with it.

Sounds similar to what I am doing (with the hose) which is good - thanks @Old Scaley

39 minutes ago, Ed. said:

I spoke to a galvanizing company yesterday about these issues you guys are having and he suggested you contact the  Galvanizers Association of Australia 03 9654 1266 and discuss the situation with them, although it is a bit late for you now that you have done it, but he also suggested not to use Tectyl to coat your trailers but instead to either use Lanolin or Diesel fuel as they help with the pacification process.

Cheers

Ed

That's very nice of you to have done that - much appreciated @Ed.