Brisbane River Session #73, #74, #75, #76, and #77!

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Phew that took some reading!  No wonder you were on the computer for so long today! Only a few typos @AUS-BNE-FISHO but good wrapup!

The sounder on the kayak was a real disappointment - I was looking forward to getting a read on the depth of the water in some of the places @AUS-BNE-FISHO fishes.  I mounted the sonar head in a similar fashion to a bloke I met a few weeks back - who had some tips from Hobie.  Silastic a small piece of rubber/thong on the bottom of the yak and then silastic the sonar head to the top of the thong being careful not to have any trapped air bubbles.

Visually it looked like his but clearly was far from working given the screenshot above.  I've had it out before just holding the sonar head and worked okay.  Anyway I've pulled it out and will check it in the pool before trying another method.  This time I will make  a snug well out of polystyrene, silastic that in then fill it with a little bit of water with the sonar head placed inside.  We'll see how that goes......  At least the battery mount worked fine .....

8 hours ago, Cavvy said:

Phew that took some reading!  No wonder you were on the computer for so long today! Only a few typos @AUS-BNE-FISHO but good wrapup!

The sounder on the kayak was a real disappointment - I was looking forward to getting a read on the depth of the water in some of the places @AUS-BNE-FISHO fishes.  I mounted the sonar head in a similar fashion to a bloke I met a few weeks back - who had some tips from Hobie.  Silastic a small piece of rubber/thong on the bottom of the yak and then silastic the sonar head to the top of the thong being careful not to have any trapped air bubbles.

Visually it looked like his but clearly was far from working given the screenshot above.  I've had it out before just holding the sonar head and worked okay.  Anyway I've pulled it out and will check it in the pool before trying another method.  This time I will make  a snug well out of polystyrene, silastic that in then fill it with a little bit of water with the sonar head placed inside.  We'll see how that goes......  At least the battery mount worked fine .....

Does the battery have plenty of charge? I have seen sounders give those weird displays when the the battery is running low.

I was going to suggest just holding the transducer in the water to see if it’s works first but you’ve already tried that. Is there any way of mounting it so it sits in the water in about the same position as when it worked just holding it? 

I would think you would be best trying to secure the transducer bracket to the kayak, rather than the transducer itself. That way you have a way of adjusting it. 

On 06/01/2021 at 11:07 PM, Cavvy said:

G'day Cavvy.

Throw up a few pics of the transducer placement. 

I take it you're setting it up for a shoot through design. 

On 06/01/2021 at 8:33 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

My mate's grandfather then got snipped off, which seemed strange. I couldn't think of how that could've happened as a shark wouldn't of taken worm. Any ideas?

I think it was most likely a pike eel.

Hopefully all those bogans stop showing up after the holiday season finishes.

10 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I think it was most likely a pike eel.

Hopefully all those bogans stop showing up after the holiday season finishes.

Thanks for the suggestion, Brian.

I think you will be right that they will stop showing up after holidays. I was out yesterday (gentleman’s hours for once) and met this very nice fella there. I’d seen him there a couple times before which were both good also.

Cheers Hamish

On 06/01/2021 at 9:52 PM, Breaming with bro said:

I’ve been having the same problem lately with just dud sessions due to river being dirty from all this rain it is now the flooding stage lol so no fishing for me anytime soon

Hi BwB

That’s a bugger, hey!!! Stay safe with the floodwater, and I hope it doesn’t affect you.

Thanks everyone who gave a good response for the sounder! It’s much appreciated and will probably be taken into consideration seeing as though we’re stuck in lockdown 😕 

Cheers Hamish

Great read @AUS-BNE-FISHO you certainly don't die wondering, I bet you slept well after the big paddle night. Be careful around those bogans - sounds like those 16 year olds are an interesting bunch. I think you're right, once school starts they should settle down a bit (hopefully ....). 

@Cavvy I had the same problem happen with my kayak sounder. I bought a new battery and mine improved but from memory hasn't quite worked as well as it should since (have only used it a handful of times when we go to Noosa for holidays). Mine is also a Lowrance (Elite 3X from memory - it is under the house ...). 

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great read @AUS-BNE-FISHO you certainly don't die wondering, I bet you slept well after the big paddle night. Be careful around those bogans - sounds like those 16 year olds are an interesting bunch. I think you're right, once school starts they should settle down a bit (hopefully ....). 

@Cavvy I had the same problem happen with my kayak sounder. I bought a new battery and mine improved but from memory hasn't quite worked as well as it should since (have only used it a handful of times when we go to Noosa for holidays). Mine is also a Lowrance (Elite 3X from memory - it is under the house ...). 

Thanks KM, sure did! Hopefully they stay away, not very pleasant being around them! Thanks for the tip with the sounder too. Dad and I did some more troubleshooting this arvo. 

Junky, thanks for that big write up above. Some great steps there. We don't have a dud as it works and reads accurately in the pool. Must be something to do with mounting I suppose.

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Is anyone going out this Friday? Weather looks OK... (Just wondering)

On 07/01/2021 at 8:10 PM, GregOug said:

I was going to suggest just holding the transducer in the water to see if it’s works first but you’ve already tried that. Is there any way of mounting it so it sits in the water in about the same position as when it worked just holding it? 

I would think you would be best trying to secure the transducer bracket to the kayak, rather than the transducer itself. That way you have a way of adjusting it. 

Hey Greg

It would be a good idea in theory, but with a yak a real pain in the behind. Every time you ground out you'd bash it up and you'd have to be a lot more delicate with putting the yak on the roof, etc.

Thanks, Hamish