A question about bag limits

Mission

Good evening everybody,

I have a question about the bag limit as below:

Suppose I am preparing a family dinner, say Christmas Eve, and there are 10 peoples will attend the dinner.

So I went crabbing on 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23 Dec. If I got 2 legal crabs in each trips, then there were 10 crabs totally in my house. Is that situation legal or not since the bag limits is 7?  and if there is a Fisheries officer visit my house on 24 Dec, how can I explain the situation to him?

The question is that the bag limit is "accumulative limit" or "one trip limit" ?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Cheers

Mission

8 minutes ago, Mission said:

Good evening everybody,

I have a question about the bag limit as below:

Suppose I am preparing a family dinner, say Christmas Eve, and there are 10 peoples will attend the dinner.

So I went crabbing on 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23 Dec. If I got 2 legal crabs in each trips, then there were 10 carbs totally in my house. Is that situation legal or not since the bag limits is 7?  and if there is a Fisheries officer visit my house on 24 Dec, how can I explain the situation to him?

The question is that the bag limit is "accumulative limit" or "one trip limit" ?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Cheers

Mission

I'm not 100% but I think it's 7 per person per day so if your partner or child is with you that's 7 each. If I'm wrong maybe ask the fisheries officer if he would like some cash.

7 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

I'm not 100% but I think it's 7 per person per day so if your partner or child is with you that's 7 each. If I'm wrong maybe ask the fisheries officer if he would like some cash.

Thanks Sneaky. So this is a legal situation you reckon, right? thanks

Just now, Mission said:

Thanks Sneaky. So this is a legal situation you reckon, right? thanks

Yep I think so as long as their legal sized bucks. I've had a few chats with the fisheries guys that come out to bribie they seem decent maybe give them a call and double check at least they will know your trying to do the right thing.

9 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Yep I think so as long as their legal sized bucks. I've had a few chats with the fisheries guys that come out to bribie they seem decent maybe give them a call and double check at least they will know your trying to do the right thing.

"give them a call..."

I am a old Asian, I can maybe have a chat by typing, very slowly. But a conversation, ho ho ho, "terrible" is not enough to describe my English.

Cheers

Mission

8 minutes ago, Mission said:

"give them a call..."

I am a old Asian, I can maybe have a chat by typing, very slowly. But a conversation, ho ho ho, "terrible" is not enough to describe my English.

Cheers

Mission

Hang on bud I will Google it for you. 

19 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Ok so I was wrong , your allowed 10 male crabs over 15cm in your possession in total not per day. 

So that means I can NOT possess more than 7 legal sized crabs on hand no matter they are came from several trips crabbing

Wow, I am a little bit confused.

21 minutes ago, Mission said:

So that means I can NOT possess more than 7 legal sized crabs on hand no matter they are came from several trips crabbing

Wow, I am a little bit confused.

No bud you can have 10 in total but no more even from several trips. Otherwise your liable to receive nasty fines and possibly confiscation of assets. it's not a bad thing it keeps our marine system healthy and our seafood stocks sustainable . Some people don't like the fisheries crowd but I think they do an awesome job . 

32 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

No bud you can have 10 in total but no more even from several trips. Otherwise your liable to receive nasty fines and possibly confiscation of assets. it's not a bad thing it keeps our marine system healthy and our seafood stocks sustainable . Some people don't like the fisheries crowd but I think they do an awesome job . 

Yes Sneaky you are right, I respect the Fisheries officer, Police...etc, too. They keep our society running in a ordered way. They are awesome and good.

I have a QLD Recreational Boating & Fishing Guide on hand, it said that the Possession limit for Mud Crab is " 7 per person / 14 per boat (with 2 or more people on board)". I reckon that this limit is for "each trip" , and what I do not know is that " How many can I have on hand prepared for a large family dinner? ", It's 7 , 10 , 14 , or other numbers? Is the "bag limit" accumulative? The same question also apply to the other fish species. I am curious. 

Cheers and Thanks

Mission

Hi Mission

A bag or possession limit means you can only have so many crabs in your possession at one time. 

So basically, if you live with another person you can have ten (as there's your 7, and she has 3). If you live alone, you can only have 7 in your possession.

(Or that's my understanding anyways)

Cheers Hamish

Think of it as an in possession limit, not a daily bag. It includes fish/crabs in your freezer at home as well as the esky in your boat.

if you lived on your own, had 7 crabs in your fridge at home from previous trips and then kept another 7, this is not allowed as you have 14 in possession. However, if you live with others and they are home if a fisheries officer came knocking, no problem as you would have 7, they could also have 7.

all that being said, what area are you fishing to catch so many crabs??? 

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

Think of it as an in possession limit, not a daily bag. It includes fish/crabs in your freezer at home as well as the esky in your boat.

if you lived on your own, had 7 crabs in your fridge at home from previous trips and then kept another 7, this is not allowed as you have 14 in possession. However, if you live with others and they are home if a fisheries officer came knocking, no problem as you would have 7, they could also have 7.

Sorry mate I Googled the wrong thing last night , looks l like the rules changed in 2019. 

As Benno say's it's the total possession limit including your freezer at home.

This stops people from having 10 times the limit and saying they caught them over 10 different days.

As for the fisheries I think you will find they can search your boat ,car ,house without a warrant and confiscate what ever.    But having said that I got pulled over by them during the snapper ban which they were mainly checking for. We were out side the seaway and didn't have flares. Also had half an undersize tailor on the bait board. There main concern was no flares which is a $160 fine . They gave us a good safety lecture and let me off with a warning. Same with the tailor.               I think their main concern is educating people to do the right thing. 

PS  I bought flares the next day...

6 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Mission

A bag or possession limit means you can only have so many crabs in your possession at one time. 

So basically, if you live with another person you can have ten (as there's your 7, and she has 3). If you live alone, you can only have 7 in your possession.

(Or that's my understanding anyways)

Cheers Hamish

6 hours ago, benno573 said:

5 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Sorry mate I Googled the wrong thing last night , looks l like the rules changed in 2019. 

1 hour ago, Kenne said:

As Benno say's it's the total possession limit including your freezer at home.

This stops people from having 10 times the limit and saying they caught them over 10 different days.

As for the fisheries I think you will find they can search your boat ,car ,house without a warrant and confiscate what ever.    But having said that I got pulled over by them during the snapper ban which they were mainly checking for. We were out side the seaway and didn't have flares. Also had half an undersize tailor on the bait board. There main concern was no flares which is a $160 fine . They gave us a good safety lecture and let me off with a warning. Same with the tailor.               I think their main concern is educating people to do the right thing. 

PS  I bought flares the next day...

Thanks all. Now I understand what "bag limit" means. possession limit at a time

Cheers

Mission

Bag limit is an old term that has been replaced by Possession Limit.

From Fisheries QLD website.

"Possession limits are in place to conserve heavily sought after species, species that are easily captured, share more catch, reduce illegal fish marketing and promote responsible fishing. Possession limits do not apply on a per day basis. Any fish you have caught previously and may be keeping at home in your freezer, for example, are included in your possession limit for a fish species."

Nowadays you need to know: Three things

Size Limit, Possession Limit and if you are a boat fishermen Boat limit

As a example the limit for Snapper:

4 per person with no more than 1 over 70cm / 8 per boat with no more than 2 over 70cm (with 2 or more people on board)

Or for Prawns:

Possession limit of 10 litres per person / 20 litres per boat (with 2 or more people on board)

What is unclear is if you have a household of say 5 people who you typically share dinner could you "gift" 7 muddies to each member of the household? Effectively increasing the possession limit to 5 x 7.

I think the possession rules were introduced so that people didn't stockpile say a year worth of prawns during prawning season and is encouraging fishos to eat what they catch rather then stockpile.

5 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Bag limit is an old term that has been replaced by Possession Limit.

From Fisheries QLD website.

"Possession limits are in place to conserve heavily sought after species, species that are easily captured, share more catch, reduce illegal fish marketing and promote responsible fishing. Possession limits do not apply on a per day basis. Any fish you have caught previously and may be keeping at home in your freezer, for example, are included in your possession limit for a fish species."

Nowadays you need to know: Three things

Size Limit, Possession Limit and if you are a boat fishermen Boat limit

As a example the limit for Snapper:

4 per person with no more than 1 over 70cm / 8 per boat with no more than 2 over 70cm (with 2 or more people on board)

Or for Prawns:

Possession limit of 10 litres per person / 20 litres per boat (with 2 or more people on board)

What is unclear is if you have a household of say 5 people who you typically share dinner could you "gift" 7 muddies to each member of the household? Effectively increasing the possession limit to 5 x 7.

I think the possession rules were introduced so that people didn't stockpile say a year worth of prawns during prawning season and is encouraging fishos to eat what they catch rather then stockpile.

Hi Hweebe, thanks for your detailed answer, it make things more clear.

As to "What is unclear is if you have a household of say 5 people who you typically share dinner could you "gift" 7 muddies to each member of the household? Effectively increasing the possession limit to 5 x 7", is it possible that is equivalent to the "boat limit"?

cheers

Mission

@Mission I don't think we can make that conclusion to boat limit as not all species have a boat limit.

It will come down to the legal definition of "Possession" - Common law explanation below

"The essence of the concept of possession in law is that, at the relevant time, you intentionally have control over the object in question. You may have this control alone or jointly with some other person or persons. You and those persons (if any) must have the right to exclude other people from it. If these conditions are fulfilled, then you may be said to have possession of that object, whether it is your own sole possession or whether it is a joint possession with somebody else.

It is not necessary for you to have something in your hand, pocket, wallet or purse before the law says that you have it in your possession. Further, you do not need to own something in order to possess it. You can possess something temporarily, or for some limited purpose. You can possess something jointly with one or more other persons."

BTW I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice - but in crab example - Fisheries will argue you are in possession and are in fact above the possession limit. It would be a hard argument for you to deny its in your possession when they are all stored in your chest freezer.

54 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

@Mission I don't think we can make that conclusion to boat limit as not all species have a boat limit.

It will come down to the legal definition of "Possession" - Common law explanation below

"The essence of the concept of possession in law is that, at the relevant time, you intentionally have control over the object in question. You may have this control alone or jointly with some other person or persons. You and those persons (if any) must have the right to exclude other people from it. If these conditions are fulfilled, then you may be said to have possession of that object, whether it is your own sole possession or whether it is a joint possession with somebody else.

It is not necessary for you to have something in your hand, pocket, wallet or purse before the law says that you have it in your possession. Further, you do not need to own something in order to possess it. You can possess something temporarily, or for some limited purpose. You can possess something jointly with one or more other persons."

BTW I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice - but in crab example - Fisheries will argue you are in possession and are in fact above the possession limit. It would be a hard argument for you to deny its in your possession when they are all stored in your chest freezer.

Hi Hweebe, thanks for your response.

The supposed scenario about crabs is an imaged scenario. Actually, my big family got together in Christmas all day long having lunch and dinner together. There are 26 adults and many children. So we had prepared many food including some lobsters and 25 big crabs (bought from fish markets). A ridiculous thought ran into me: what will happen if Fisheries visit me and I had lost the receipt?  and what will happen if the crabs are not from buying but accumulative results of catching? And then I posted the question a few days later.

Cheers

Mission