Young punks defeat the dads :(

kmcrosby78

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Belated report from two days out in the bay on Tuesday & Wednesday just gone. Took my Dad and my two boys, Liam & George and we decided we'd have a kids v adults comp. Did a quick troll between King Island & Green Island and picked up one just legal schoolie that we put in the esky, plus a second undersized one that we obviously released. We decided we'd call that one point to each team 🙂. Anchored up in about 6m off Green Island, got the berley working and then the lines in (sorted Dad out first so my team had the first line in the water ..... in hindsight I should have thrown mine out as Dad caught nothing .......... still getting the hang of his direct wind Alvey).

George was in the hotseat in the corner next to the berley bag and caught a small squire, sweetlip and bream in pretty quick time. Liam was a bit jealous of his brother's action but I reminded him they were teammates. Eventually I succumbed to his asking if he could switch over and fish on George's side of the boat (from up the front) and he proceeded to landed a 36cm squire (his first legal one) which he was over the moon about, so into the esky it went.

I missed a few runs on my rod as I was the deckhand serving my 3 clients but eventually caught a just legal (26cm) bream that we decided to keep (the boys love eating bream). Final score ended up being 7-5 to the kids and boy did they let us know about it - George in particular was ****-a-hoop all day long and giving it to his Grandpa for not catching anything ....... cheeky little brat!!

I had a review on my knee with the surgeon (hopefully can try running soon 🙂) at 9:20am Wednesday morning so the boys slept at their grandparents place and when I got there at 10am, worked out that Dad and Liam were keen to go fishing again and George was going to spend some quality time with Grandma. Did the same start but took a bit longer to find a mackerel, eventually hooking one on the eastern side of Green Island but unfortunately he got off a few metres from the boat 😞. Conditions were glorious and Liam was keen to get into the fishing so we anchored up and made a start. Current was running hard and we struggled for a fair while before Liam caught an undersized sweetlip and tusky. Decided to upanchor and move in a bit closer to the island to find less current, which proved a good move as we got more bites and fish. Only had the frame of yesterday's mackerel to use for berley so instead of using the scaler bag I just cut it up and threw out a couple of small bits at a time. 

Liam caught a 32cm sweetlip which went into the esky - he played it well as it fought pretty well against the current. He was off to a good lead even after I caught a keeper bream (today we decided we'd make legal fish worth two points) and was ahead I think 6-2 before Dad came good as the tide slowed and pulled in two 28cm bream then I got lucky with a couple of sweetlip coming to the boat tangled up in wireweed. Final score 8-7 to the oldies, but we aren't exactly proud of our 'victory' given we were only up against one opponent ......

Was a great two days on the water with my dad and boys - good sign that Dad was keen to back up and go again. Need to get him out with us more often - hard sometimes as my wife likes to fish too so the boat is often full already, but I'll be trying to get Dad out for a fish more this year.

645168943_56Jan2021.jpg.30a345b3cd370c6251d448d3bc39493f.jpg35619846_56Jan-Liamsfirstlegalsquire36cm.jpg.c582f562f9b70322d47b9935f9891983.jpg1387138949_56Jan2021-boyswin.jpg.5bc50794fb4951489d69eb93a6ae72c8.jpg

Thanks for reading 🙂 

Great sessions KM , family comps are awesome especially when everyone is hooking fish.