Will this lure work for beach fishing in NSW?

fletch-

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to go catch some fish at the beach but I don't have a proper beach road so I just want to go for some whiting, bream, tarwhine and dart or something I can catch close to the edge of the beach. I have a Knight Sure Catch 20gm and 60gm. I am thinking of using the 20gm to try catch some fish. Would this work? What lure should I be using? I also have some soft plastic minnows that are about 4 inches I could use. Thanks!

https://www.hookedonline.com.au/20gm-surecatch-knight-metal-fishing-lure-jigging-s

(The 20gm is the 07 colour and the 60gm is the 10 colour)

11 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I wouldn't be using them for targeting the species you said. They are more for targeting pelagics like mackerel and taylor.

Your soft plastics sound more likely to work on those species.

Yeah ok. I don't really care what fish I catch as long as I'm catching something! What type of metal would work better? Thanks for the reply!

If there are big dart around, they'll probably hit the 20gm slug.

Chucking metal into the surf targeting whicing and bream isn't something I would usually try but that's not to say it wouldn't work.

If you are keen on going the metal route, you could try micro-jigs like Berkley Lolly Drop Jig (currently on special for $5 @motackle). They have them down to 12g so small enough to possibly tempt whiting or bream that are in the surf. Have never tried this but it would be what I would try if I was trying to achieve what you are.

Hey fletch-

I think throwing a lure around like that would be better off on the rocks. There’s a few more types of fish you could catch off there. 

Like ellicat said, a small soft plastic would be more likely to catch something. Don’t get disheartened if you don’t get anything at first, they’re tricky to get the knack of. 

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Welcome to the forum.