Hairtail

Kenne

I caught it in the broadwater half way between soveriegn island and tipplers. He was about 80cm long and was as silver as silver. Had a big redish brown fin down the full length of his body and I couldnt get my hand around him he was that fat. Took a pic of him in the water but not clear. He put up a good fight.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

I remember a few of them launching themselves out of the water straight into the windscreen of my father-in-law’s Haines way back in the eighties in Hervey Bay late in the afternoon. Apparently they get attracted to the sunlight glinting off the screen. Nasty looking teeth from memory.

An already weird fish just got a whole lot weirder ....... 🤪

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2021 at 9:09 PM, Kenne said:

Yes thats why I cut him off after he tried to bite me.

Think ide have a go at bighting you too if you pulled me out of the water with a hook hanging out of my moosh lol.

And yes they are very nice eating either filletted or as small steaks though i would prefer filleted .

They used to run in large Schools of Coniston or Northern Breakwall south of Wollongong or Port Kembla Harbour near every year once upon a long time ago and so easy to catch so long as you arranged your bait to float down slowly and if Yakkas were easy at hand , they made the ideal bait.