Old reel gets a new life

Brodie_S

The Alvey Snapper reels were usually teamed up with a short, stout fibreglass rod and used offshore for dropping paternoster rigs for snapper and reef fish. There are also snapper winches which are similar but bigger and attach to the gunwhale of boats for offshore work. Strong and durable with a fast retrieve, but not a sportsfishing reel.

33 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

The Alvey Snapper reels were usually teamed up with a short, stout fibreglass rod and used offshore for dropping paternoster rigs for snapper and reef fish. There are also snapper winches which are similar but bigger and attach to the gunwhale of boats for offshore work. Strong and durable with a fast retrieve, but not a sportsfishing reel.

Yeah thanks makes sense now my nan had a short fibreglass rod which I have now will probably pear them up together . I’m thinking of maybe spooling it with 30lb mono. 30lb should be fine for paternoster rigs offshore right? 

3 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah thanks makes sense now my nan had a short fibreglass rod which I have now will probably pear them up together . I’m thinking of maybe spooling it with 30lb mono. 30lb should be fine for paternoster rigs offshore right? 

Go as heavy as you like. These things were designed for skulldragging big fish up from the bottom so no point going too light.