Can you increase a boats maximum horsepower?

ggg

20 minutes ago, Jaz44 said:

Hi all,

I am just wanting to know the process in changing a boats maximum horsepower and it’s cost?I only want to see if I can improve the maximum by 10hp. 

Lol sorry couldn’t help myself. Ok there a few ways I’ve heard of that increase HP of outboards but the most common one I can think of is . Swapping out the propellers with something that is a itch less in pitch . Wait do you have a outboard or a inboard 

1 hour ago, Breaming with bro said:

Lol sorry couldn’t help myself. Ok there a few ways I’ve heard of that increase HP of outboards but the most common one I can think of is . Swapping out the propellers with something that is a itch less in pitch . Wait do you have a outboard or a inboard 

I am fairly sure the question was around how to change the max HP rating for a hull as opposed to how to increase te HP of an outboard.

I don't believe there is a way to modify a hull to increase its max HP rating.  Unlike increasing the GVM of a car, it is not as simple as changing/upgrading components, it is all to do wih the weight of the engine, strengh of the hull etc.  lots of people put an outboard on that is over the max HP, this leads to huge issues with insurance and those sort of things and is not recommended.

what kind of boat / outboard combo are we dealing with here @Jaz44 and what are you hoping to achieve?

ah ok.  unfortunately I don't believe there is a "legal" way of doing this mate.  While I'm sure the hull could handle it, but you wouldn't be able to get insurance and if you were pulled over by the water police, depending on the state you live in (thinking WA based on the rankin in your profile pic?) there are fines and the like associated with having a not "waterworthy" vessel.

2 hours ago, benno573 said:

I am fairly sure the question was around how to change the max HP rating for a hull as opposed to how to increase te HP of an outboard.

I don't believe there is a way to modify a hull to increase its max HP rating.  Unlike increasing the GVM of a car, it is not as simple as changing/upgrading components, it is all to do wih the weight of the engine, strengh of the hull etc.  lots of people put an outboard on that is over the max HP, this leads to huge issues with insurance and those sort of things and is not recommended.

what kind of boat / outboard combo are we dealing with here @Jaz44 and what are you hoping to achieve?

Good pickup benno. I totally misunderstood the question too.

If you have a hull that is rated higher than the current outboard HP on your boat currently then it isn't a problem. If you are already at the max dictated by the recommended Max HP of your boat, then whilst physically you can put on a larger motor but you then will run foul of the insurance companies  and most likely the water police as well. It's a bit like  putting in a high HP V6 motor into a car that was designed for a 4 cylinder motor.

Whist it can be done (hot rods spring to mind) there will be lots of hoops, conditions and modifications  to go through and it may be easier and better to just trade it in on anther boat that is more adequate. A small increase in HP may not be a big issue but if for example you were to try and put a 120HP out board on a boat designed to only hold a 40HP motor I would imagine the effort would not be worth it if even it was allowed at all.

If your boat had a very old 40HP on it then changing it to a much newer 40HP would most likely show a big improvement in performance.

A boat's max HP on the transom is worked out by the boats flotation, strength of the fiberglass/ boat material, length and shape and other design factors.

12 minutes ago, Jaz44 said:

Okay. All I want to do is change the max outboard by 10hp. I have had some people tell me they haven’t had any dramas with insurance but I don’t know. I might just have to ring the insurance company

Insurance companies will tell you any thing to get your money  Then you need a lawyers degree to understand there 500 page fine print  You never know how good an insurance policy is to you try to claim  

Already rang Quintrex and they told me it can be done, but I can’t be insured. The engineering company told me otherwise. The motor is a 2005 40hp. There is nothing wrong with the motor, it just seems that 50hp motors are cheaper than 40hp ones in my area. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not saying I've ever done this but hypothetically say I had an 8hp Evinrude on an 11ft tinnie and didn't want to have to register it. 

A hypothetical fix would be to get a, sign writer to change the 8hp to a 5hp, and that hypothetical boat wouldn't need to be registered. 

If it was a 2nd hand motor then hypothetically you would have bought it as a 40hp.