Snapping Success!

AUS-BNE-FISHO

7 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Awesome fish hamish looked like it pulled some string and yeah those half hitch’s help a lot saves you’re bait from toadies and small stuff a lot of the time seems like you had a pretty decent boat Sesh shame there wasn’t more snapper around

Thanks Bro. Yes, it was a great fight. I was stoked with one, Lol. Two would've made me faint from being to over-the-moon 😉 

8 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Nice one gents. 👍👍

and yes hamish, there is meat in the head. The cheeks are well worth taking out on larger specimens as are the wings. I’ll show you how to get them out when we do our filleting lesson. 

Thanks Benno. Yes, I was going to ask but figured there wasn't much point with only one fish. I'll be glad to learn how to get the cheek meat out. It's s'posed to be the bees knees!

Cheers Hamish

14 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Great fish, Hamish. I'm not jealous at all...😼

😂

Good on you and Steve for giving it a whirl and each taking dinner home. Shame about the crabs.

Glad you didn't faint. Also glad you didn't send me another picture of a beauty. I may have fainted.

Haha, thanks Brian! You are certainly overdue for a good snapper - surely you’ll get one soon! 

14 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks for doing the report Hamish. I only wish I had taken a video of your face when you caught that snapper. I have never seen someone so excited to catch a fish.

All good Steve, my pleasure. I probably would’ve had a banana smile I was that happy! I just couldn’t believe it! In fact, I can still hardly believe it!!!

10 minutes ago, Junky said:

Nice fish young fella. 

Looks like a beautiful day. Good times. 

Thanks Damo. It was sure a beautiful day.

Cheers Hamish

9 hours ago, Another Wazza said:

Good work to you both, an excellent day on the water, I’m not too sure about your success rating though Hamish, a 55cm pb snap, and only 90% overall success.... 🤔 your one tough customer, hahaha

Hi Wazza

Thank you. 90% is very high in my books!!!!

9 hours ago, Cavvy said:

Life is looking up - young fella comes homes with a fish, fillets it, cooks it up and serves it out on the table for dinner.  Delicious!  Big thanks to @Old Scaleyfor taking @AUS-BNE-FISHOout today and finishing off the holidays with a great trip!  

Yes, and I even did the dishes after! No work for you at all except eating my fish!

9 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

My pleasure @Cavvy. He is a credit to you and Mrs Cavvy. Excellent manners and asks good, intelligent questions. He just needs to learn that the deckie should never outfish the skipper. 🤣

Thanks Steve.. but, I don't know about that last one... 😉 

52 minutes ago, jon said:

Good session lads, nice to see the POB producing. And well done Hamish on your PB snaps

Cheers jon. It sure was good!

Cheers Hamish

Another great report @AUS-BNE-FISHO and congrats on a cracking POB & PB snapper, awesome result! If you like thai curries or laksa at all, a great option is to cut the head off, remove any gills etc, scale whatever areas you can and then cook on a medium heat with either laksa paste or red/green curry paste, coconut milk and a little bit of brown sugar. Serve with rice and a squeeze of fresh lime - DELICIOUS!!

Oh and well done to the skipper @Old Scaley for putting the decky onto a quality fish - and getting a keeper yourself to keep the good wife happy 🙂. Shame about the lack of crabs but it's a tough game around Brisbane.

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Another great report @AUS-BNE-FISHO and congrats on a cracking POB & PB snapper, awesome result! If you like thai curries or laksa at all, a great option is to cut the head off, remove any gills etc, scale whatever areas you can and then cook on a medium heat with either laksa paste or red/green curry paste, coconut milk and a little bit of brown sugar. Serve with rice and a squeeze of fresh lime - DELICIOUS!!

Oh and well done to the skipper @Old Scaley for putting the decky onto a quality fish - and getting a keeper yourself to keep the good wife happy 🙂. Shame about the lack of crabs but it's a tough game around Brisbane.

Hi KM

Thanks! That’s a good tip too, if I’d known it earlier I may have tried, but now the Snapper is in the freezer for crab bait next time. (And in my tummy 😛)

13 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Well done Hamish! And Steve for taking you out and putting you on the spot.

Thank you Greg. Yes, was very good of Steve to get me onto the fish!

Cheers Hamish

7 hours ago, Allnighter said:

Great report @AUS-BNE-FISHO hamish ! and congrats to @Old Scaley for taking you out, quite inspiring actually.... ☺

And so the Bigger Snapper obsession begins....... ☺

Thanks @Allnighter, glad you enjoyed. Yes, I can certainly see why Snapper are so popular - excellent fighting and delicious to eat!

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Also forgot to second @benno573's tip about eating the wings - delicious!! They stay nice and moist when BBQ'd or fried and are also excellent in the laksa/curry recipe 🙂.

Thanks KM. I will have to try this one day... But it might not be with a Snapper I suppose.

Cheers Hamish

23 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

Earlier this week, Steve (@Old Scaley) and I organised a trip to the POB, in Steve's tinny. I was very excited the night prior, and rigged up the rods with my first proper FG knots, some large sinkers, and circle hooks. We met at Steve's at 7:00AM, and said good bye to Dad. After the drive to the POB Boat Ramp, we also met up with Brian (@ellicat) and put in. Brian went first, so I tied (or tried to anyways) the boat up at the end of the ramp. Let's just say that needs work. After a little while, Steve's boat was put in too, and we both departed. Our first step was to set the crab pots, but Brian headed out of the river in search of a snapper. We said farewell to Ellicatch and bidded each other good luck.

IMG_2909.jpg.5004b6b55f683af109a9eefca3f4549c.jpg

Launching in 🙂 

After the boat was started, we shot off through Boat Passage, armed with some fish frames and crab pots. We went under the Pipeline and entered Boggy Creek to drop the pots. Steve got the first one set up, and after it was baited up we dropped it near a drain. The same happened with the next four, and they were baited with a mix of flatty and bream frames, mullet, and mullet  and bass heads. We had them in a line and then zoomed off back to the first location for fishing. I was taking note of what was doing, as I need to learn a bit about crabbing!

Steve had very kindly offered to take me out for some of my favourite fish - Threadies and Sharks. We got to the first spot, and the powerful electric was set into 'anchor' mode. Steve told me what fish he had landed here, and gave me some advice. The big, beautiful game reel was lobbed out with some Mr. Bait eel, and we hoped for some good sharks. In the meantime, a lighter line was casted out with half pilchards and prawn as the bait of our choice. 

IMG_2910.jpg.eb124381a9246128e59f3e3d6d438433.jpg

Nice spot here!

In about twenty minutes with no bites or fish, we decided it might be better to drift. Unfortunately, it was snags after snags at this spot, so after busting off the shark rig on some rock (we did a big circle all around but it didn't budge) as well as my line with an FG knot, we decided to move spots. I re-rigged my line at the new spot, and we got fishing again. Once again, I casted down a half pilchard - Steve showed me the correct way to put them on with a half hitch too, so I was quite thankful for that. In the first while, the sounder was showing lots and lots. It seemed to be a school of quite good fish around a bait school. We figured they were either Threadies or Catfish, so the next step was to make them bite.

By now, I had put my rod in the holder. I let the drag off nice and loosey-goosey, and got a drink out. Just as I was about to drink though, and as some more fish showed on the sounder, the line screamed off and I was hooked up! I put the drag in the right mode, and turned off the ratchet. I started cranking, and then the fish took off! Straight away, I was feeling nervous. Would my quickly tied Albright Knot hold? Would my 20LB leader be frayed off? Would the hook be spat??? I got some more line in, trying to take it slow and steady. The fish went for another run, and this really got the adrenaline up.

It had great weight, and I was excited to see what would surface from the depths. Then, what I thought was disaster struck. The fish had bricked me! I gave it a couple tugs, and then luckily I heard the relieving sound of drag screaming with something on the end. I kept cranking, and it was close to the surface when it shot back down. I started gaining line though, and Steve had the net at ready. We were thinking a big Thready would surface, but what came up truly shocked me. I saw colour, and then I yelled, "Snapper!!!! Huge!!!". It shot back down, and now I was really excited. It surfaced beside the boat and Steve expertly slid the net under it, bringing in my first real Snapper! Me, out of all people, catching a snapper! Woohoo! Joy! I was practically falling over I was so happy - it was a true beauty!  We slid him on the brag mat for a quick measurement and it went a grand 55CM! Very, very nice fish! I thanked Steve for making this possible, then after some very good photos he was released to the esky. That's dinner covered alright!

IMG_2911.jpg.9c04f4c2fccdaae5786fbee7bf66d187.jpg

Gigantic!

IMG_2922.JPG.9926bbb4f6a9bcfe65fa8bdefebde653.JPG

Woohoo!

After that Snapper, it took me about half an hour to calm down (probably longer for my heart rate to slow too!). I was about as happy as it gets! Now I can say I've got a new PB of 55CM, not 15CM! 😉. Me and Steve were both hoping that he could get one now too, so we stuck too this spot. I put it in the same possy, this time with a prawn as bait. We were fishing along the Pipe, in about 7-11M of water I believe (maybe deeper and shallower at certain times too). All of a sudden, my rod went off! I clicked on the drag, and the fish was on. I was hoping for something alright, but ended up failing miserably after a half decent fight. Guess what it was.... Catfish! 

IMG_2915.jpg.6806c116da94455588388a02e8d5eaf0.jpg

Bugger!

I re-deployed, a bit annoyed with the catfish. I even almost got pricked dehooking him, the spine gave me a little cut but very fortunately didn't go into me. The sounder was showing fish moving through, which was pretty good to see. We were now out a bit further, to see if there was any schools of anything hanging out and about. Sooner or later, I hooked up to another fish. It had a few head shakes, but no runs at all. After a average fight, up came another catfish. I really wish they didn't exist but now I was on two on the vermin count 😉 

IMG_2914.jpg.0889245608dfb28ac95c29054b3e1a4f.jpg

Cat

I still need a bit of work on my de hooking, but luckily Steve was there to help out (who got it off in about one moment, Lol). It was about time for a quick re-application of sunscreen now though, so I left the rod on loose and had a bath in the stuff (on my hands anyway). Of course, the rod went off at this moment, so luckily Steve got it for me. The fish spat the hook/missed the hook though, so back down the line went. The same had happened for Steve a bit earlier, where the fish took a good run but then didn't quite hook up 😞

Now, it was Steve's turn. He hooked up to an OK fish, and it was running like no tomorrow. He got some line in, and then it kept shooting off back to the depths. I prepped the net, but guess what came up? A rotten old stingray. I believe it was a Spotted Ray though, like one of the types I'd caught at Yeppoon. He was cut off boat side, and we now were hoping for something may may be a bit more edible. 

IMG_2918.jpg.bf988235ce7c1ef566ee51adb4f3da01.jpg

At least we were both off the donut

Soon after, the baits were redeployed. I put back a half pilly, but sooner or later the tell-tale catty signs were back, and yep, another one of the buggers came up. He was flicked off, and returned back into his home. Steve and I decided to go for a drift after that one, and my line went off while we were moving. I skull dragged up another catfish, and luckily that was my last one for the day. I had made a bit of a mess on Steve's boat which was no good, but at least it was some entertainment while not much else had been biting. 

We went a bit upstream, to a rock wall near the beacons. The last time we were here Steve had caught an unders Breambo, so maybe some of them would be biting. The baits were deployed, and we hoped for a good fish. It was decided we'd pull up the pots after this, as they'd had quite a long soak. Steve's rod had a good hit at first while it was in the holder, but unluckily the fish did not hook up. We figured there was a chance of a flatty round here, so we stuck around going for a drift for a bit. There was a fair bit of run here, and a plastic was flicked for no love. 

I had some small nibbles, but no fish were successfully landed here. We moved into Boggy Creek, and went to retrieve the first pot. I got the gaff to get them up, and hoiked the pot up. I was hoping to see some big muddies, but unfortunately, there was a grand total of two toadfish. I tipped them out, got the bait out, and the pot was put away in the side of the boat. The same happened for the next - it was pulled up, and the pot ended up with about five bream... 2 inches big. They were taken out, as well as the bait. It was really disappointing. It looked like the perfect spot, and we had good baits. But that's fis- crabbing I suppose! The next two pots weren't very fruitful either, with more toadfish and diddly squat. They were all put away for next time, so maybe they will fill with crabs then! Steve gave a plastic a brief flick while I was puling it up for no fish too. 

We left Boggy Creek with the pots strapped up, and decided to do a bit of a drift on the other side of the river. The fish at this spot were Snapper, Flatties, and Flounder/Sole, so we were hopeful. At first, we were on some rubbly bottom, and I got fouled on some pretty looking seaweed. We did a long drift parallel to the bank, and in about 3M of water we got no love. We were certainly hoping for another nice fish.

The call was made to go out a bit deeper in the channel, so we took the bait out. I dropped down a prawn, and it got a good hit straight up. Unluckily, I missed the fish. It had a weird bite, almost sucked it in like a surge on the line, then spat it out again. It didn't take long for Steve to hook up though, and after a solid tussle with some nice runs an alright squire came up. He only measured 30CM, and I forgot to get a photo of this one. C'mon, Snappers! Five centimetres bigger!

I kept feeling more weird bites on the line. Nibble, nibble, then a surge on the line. Steve suggested it might be a cod, so I thought that was a pretty good assumption. Unfortunately, the one good hit where I thought I had it, the fish also spat the hook on me! We went for one more drift, and this was the last one of the day as we were heading back to the ramp after this. Steve casted his line, and when I turned around he was hooked up. It shot of for a run, and was giving up a good account of itself. Then, very luckily, a nice little Snap/Squire came up, and on the measure he went just 35CM! Yay! We'd each gotten a keeper for tea!

IMG_2921.jpg.86cf1a90f3c26e31fe95cea701abe3b2.jpg

Great!

We then reeled up and motored back to the ramp, ready to go back home. We motored up Boat Passage, and got back to the ramp. There were some people fishing, and some cast netting off the ramp. After I tied the boat, and Steve had stopped the motor and all, I went and had a look in their bucket. The had some massive garfish, which I certainly would've loved to catch. I was tempted to ask if I could have a throw, but decided against it because the car was ready for the boat. I walked it down and it was wound up. We got everything out of the tinny, and started the drive back home. 

I got to Steve's and then helped unload a bit, then Dad arrived. He still hadn't been told about the catch - all I'd told him was bring an esky and ice (like normal when I get a goodun, Lol). He was surprised and happy when I pulled out a good Snapper out of the esky, and I was still jumping with joy. Lol. I got home and got to work cleaning the fish. I did it the exact same way as the bass, and I think I did an alright job. I also weighed the fish, it came in at a total of 1.995KG according to the Berkley scales. Woohoo!!! The fish was cleaned up, skinned, and then frozen/fridged for eating tonight. I made up a quick crumb mix and got him up in breadcrumbs, straight away ready for the BBQ. The fish had a good cooking, and was nice and golden when he came off the Barby. We ate him straight away with some veges, and boy! He was capital D - Delicious! 

IMG_2931.jpg.ae3ac2f339b56ed3a9649453ff6ebfcc.jpgIMG_2928.jpg.e6c3ab0fa3d40fb36ddc68555ea23f7d.jpgIMG_2929.jpg.81d28d3e8ab8fb2d78e394698222a452.jpgIMG_2930.jpg.547401c4c7c5e39b84584c97ce6d83c9.jpg

I know this is a rather weird question... But is there any meat in the head region of the Snap?

The frame was frozen, and that was the end of the day! "What a Day", was all I could say! It was excellent with skipper Steve out on the POB, with a keeper each. I probably wasn't the best decky, as I was pretty slow with the pots, but I found it great fun to be out on the water. I'm glad Brian went well too, with the catches he mentioned in his report from today. A huge thanks to Steve for taking me out for the trip, one of the highlights of my school holidays (with the Thready, Yeppoon, NPD Trip, and now this! Great way to end the hols, that's for sure). Thanks for reading this report, and I hope you really enjoyed. Apologies for any spelling errors.

Here are the trips stats:

Stats of Trip:

Tide: (BNE Bar) - 4:30AM, 1.9M, High, 10:40AM, 1M, Low, 4:10PM, 1.7M, High

Moon Phase: 64% - so not too much run

Bait Caught: -

Bait Used: Prawns, Pillies, Eel

Fish Caught: Snapper/Squire x 3, Catfish x 4, Stingray x 1

Tackle Used: I had 20lb mainline, 20lb leader, 16lb, fluorocarbon and braid, and I believe Steve used similar, the shark rod was a heavy game reel with a big sinker and long wire trace with a big circle hook, we were using 5/o circle hooks, about 4-6 ball sinkers, barrel swivels, and I was using a Abu Garcia Barra KIig Overhead 650, On an Ugly Stik, but I cannot remember what Steve was using. He also gave a plastic a flick. 

Water Temp: 26oC according to the sounder

Weather: 28oC, Cloudy, 10% Precipitation 

Wind: 11KM/h Northerlies

Humidity: 67%

Air Pressure: 1013.2 

Time Fished: A little past 8:00AM - 1:10PM or so.

Overall Success Rate: 90% - Snapper!!!!

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

IMG_2922.JPG

Hamdog! Brilliant mate!