A day out fishing... from the moored boat

Brodie_S

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Good one Bro. The ray would’ve been a bit of fun. Shame it wasn’t something more desirable though.

Cheers Hamish

Yeah could have kept it for a feed had a fair bit of meat on it but I wasn’t keen to debarb a stingray would have preferred something like a Jew or something like a big flathead to release but a stingray wasn’t bad better then undersize bream 

18 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Today I went out in my brothers boat things are still getting organised in the boat so I just usually fish from the back of the boat . Anyway I get there and chuck out some bread crusts for berley and sure enough the bream start coming in unfortunately all the bream I’m hooking are undersize after like 10 bream between 10-23cm I hook one that’s 26cm I brain spike it and bleed it out unfortunately I forgot that bream can lose a few CM after being killed and it shrunk I usually like keeping bream at 28cm and above  and also the ones that ain’t skinny to avoid this happening anyway I use my other setup with the Stradic 1000 and the atomic arrowz with lures but every cast I’m getting weed on my lure so I go back to the setup I was using to catch bream and I cut the 4lb leader off and attach a metre of 10lb Berkley fluorocarbon note this is the sienna 2500 with 13lb gliss and matched with my 2-4kg aird x rod don’t ask me why i tied a 4lb leader in the first place anyway once I tie my new 10lb leader I get a smallish running sinker a bead to stop the sinker ruining my knot and a normal suicide hook used for bream/flathead can’t remember the size and I use that now undersize bream as bait I cut a feel slices off and chuck the rest of the bream in the water for berley . Once I get smallish size piece of bream fillet on my hook I cast about 15M off the back of the boat and let it sink to the bottom 15 minutes go by a few little nibbles but no takers luckily bream is surprisingly tough and hard for baitstealers like toadies to eat .then all of the sudden something picked up the bait and took it for massive run I knew it was big to because I didn’t set my drag lose I had it tight so if something ran with it It would set the hook .i pick up the rod and start pulling I feel lots of big headshakes along with some runs my first thought was a giant flattie but it had a lot of weight and kept trying to go to stick around the bottom so I now thought either a stingray or a massive flathead after about 15 minutes fighting time the fish finally comes to the surface and it’s a bloody stingray then it goes back down and I have to fight it for another 5 minutes just so I can get it back to the back of the boat and to stay on the surface . Once I got it to the surface I took a few photos then cut the line near the mouth with a knife after that I pretty much packed up and called it a day the stingray was pretty cool to catch so I was happy with that. It was also great test for the gliss line as it did suffer some abrasion and the drag was fairly tight to . It was also a good test for the sienna for a $56 reel they are dynamite didn’t flex under heavy loads drag didn’t get sticky or anything like that for a $56 dollar reel I’m extremely happy With it I think as long as you don’t dunk it it will last have had the sienna 2500  since October now and I’ve used it a fair bit along with the gliss line and it has lasted well still performs like the day I got it 3/4 months doesn’t sound like that long but I used the reel a lot in that time frame keen to see how the reel will be like in a year or 2 

conditions/weather tides ETC idk I’ll look it up tomorrow and re-edit this post with the conditions 

gear .lure rod shimano stradic FL 1000 atomic arrows -ASS270BS 10lb gliss FG to 6lb ASSO fluorocarbon 

gear other setup I bought with me today . Shimano sienna 2500 daiwa aird X 2-4kg 13lb gliss going to 4lb leader for the bream then I changed it to 10lb leader after I was done bream fishing and used it with fish bait 

overall success rate %80 was not a full donut unfortunately only got small bream but the stingray is what made today’s 80% success rate 

photos 🔽

Phew! I hope you take a breath when you’re talking, because you certainly don’t take a break when you’re typing. Full stops Bro. Full stops. Lol. 

Well done apart from that.

cheers

Greg

7 minutes ago, GregOug said:
30 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Today I went out in my brothers boat things are still getting organised in the boat so I just usually fish from the back of the boat . Anyway I get there and chuck out some bread crusts for berley and sure enough the bream start coming in unfortunately all the bream I’m hooking are undersize after like 10 bream between 10-23cm I hook one that’s 26cm I brain spike it and bleed it out unfortunately I forgot that bream can lose a few CM after being killed and it shrunk I usually like keeping bream at 28cm and above  and also the ones that ain’t skinny to avoid this happening anyway I use my other setup with the Stradic 1000 and the atomic arrowz with lures but every cast I’m getting weed on my lure so I go back to the setup I was using to catch bream and I cut the 4lb leader off and attach a metre of 10lb Berkley fluorocarbon note this is the sienna 2500 with 13lb gliss and matched with my 2-4kg aird x rod don’t ask me why i tied a 4lb leader in the first place anyway once I tie my new 10lb leader I get a smallish running sinker a bead to stop the sinker ruining my knot and a normal suicide hook used for bream/flathead can’t remember the size and I use that now undersize bream as bait I cut a feel slices off and chuck the rest of the bream in the water for berley . Once I get smallish size piece of bream fillet on my hook I cast about 15M off the back of the boat and let it sink to the bottom 15 minutes go by a few little nibbles but no takers luckily bream is surprisingly tough and hard for baitstealers like toadies to eat .then all of the sudden something picked up the bait and took it for massive run I knew it was big to because I didn’t set my drag lose I had it tight so if something ran with it It would set the hook .i pick up the rod and start pulling I feel lots of big headshakes along with some runs my first thought was a giant flattie but it had a lot of weight and kept trying to go to stick around the bottom so I now thought either a stingray or a massive flathead after about 15 minutes fighting time the fish finally comes to the surface and it’s a bloody stingray then it goes back down and I have to fight it for another 5 minutes just so I can get it back to the back of the boat and to stay on the surface . Once I got it to the surface I took a few photos then cut the line near the mouth with a knife after that I pretty much packed up and called it a day the stingray was pretty cool to catch so I was happy with that. It was also great test for the gliss line as it did suffer some abrasion and the drag was fairly tight to . It was also a good test for the sienna for a $56 reel they are dynamite didn’t flex under heavy loads drag didn’t get sticky or anything like that for a $56 dollar reel I’m extremely happy With it I think as long as you don’t dunk it it will last have had the sienna 2500  since October now and I’ve used it a fair bit along with the gliss line and it has lasted well still performs like the day I got it 3/4 months doesn’t sound like that long but I used the reel a lot in that time frame keen to see how the reel will be like in a year or 2 

conditions/weather tides ETC idk I’ll look it up tomorrow and re-edit this post with the conditions 

gear .lure rod shimano stradic FL 1000 atomic arrows -ASS270BS 10lb gliss FG to 6lb ASSO fluorocarbon 

gear other setup I bought with me today . Shimano sienna 2500 daiwa aird X 2-4kg 13lb gliss going to 4lb leader for the bream then I changed it to 10lb leader after I was done bream fishing and used it with fish bait 

overall success rate %80 was not a full donut unfortunately only got small bream but the stingray is what made today’s 80% success rate 

photos 🔽

Phew! I hope you take a breath when you’re talking, because you certainly don’t take a break when you’re typing. Full stops Bro. Full stops. Lol. 

Well done apart from that.

cheers

Greg

Expand  

Lmao there’s always something I forgot to do lol thks for the reminder I actually needed it because I’m starting school up again