New to fishing and after set up advice

FadKing

Hi,

I am new to fishing. I have done it but often use BIL's gear.

Would love to get something for myself. Likely to be used while camping,  at Christmas time at our beach house (with river)  and the odd weekend.

I'm not going to be out every weekend but as often as I can.

Type will be estuary and fresh, mostly from bank but intend on getting a kayak at some point.

If there is an allrounder style set up that would be awesome.

Would love to chase flathead, bream, whiting and bass etc in the fresh.

Budget: would love to keep it under $200 as my first but could stretch to $250 if it was worth it.

Would love some advice.

Cheers

For a starting outfit I would be aiming for a 2500 size reel, 10 - 12lb line and a rod in the 2 to 4kg range.

I have a Daiwa Revros 2500 reel matched to a Revros rod as a 10lb setup and find it well suited to the fish you wish to target.

Eventually you will probably want to go lighter for the sport of it, but that is where I would start. The Revros outfit will see you out of it for under $250 including 150 metres of braid.

2 hours ago, FadKing said:

Hi,

I am new to fishing. I have done it but often use BIL's gear.

Would love to get something for myself. Likely to be used while camping,  at Christmas time at our beach house (with river)  and the odd weekend.

I'm not going to be out every weekend but as often as I can.

Type will be estuary and fresh, mostly from bank but intend on getting a kayak at some point.

If there is an allrounder style set up that would be awesome.

Would love to chase flathead, bream, whiting and bass etc in the fresh.

Budget: would love to keep it under $200 as my first but could stretch to $250 if it was worth it.

Would love some advice.

Cheers

Atomic arrows bream surface rod it’s a 7 foot rod 1.5-3.5kg so it covers most common estuary applications I found the rod is best with 2.5 inch plastics and surface lures but goes well with small vibes and crank baits to also using bait is good . Price I got mine for $112 but are most common around $130 if you keep a eye out you can even score then for under $100 and it’s well worth it to . Great rod for small fish like whiting and bream but can decent size flathead 

reels I would go with would be . Shimano Sedona 1000 or 2000 which retail around $99 or a daiwa legalis 2000 which retails for around $110 

the Sedona has a slighter better gear set and is more rigid then the legalis but the legalis does have a better drag but I’ve found the Sedona drag to be fine there isn’t much in it. both reels are pretty similar in performance . So if you like daiwa reels go for the legalis if you like shimano reels go for the Sedona both are great options .line I would go with 6 or 8lb braid and generally use a leader of 6lb for bream and whiting but you could step it up to 8-12lb leader for flatties and bass . Hope that helps . A atomic arrows bream surface rod matched with a daiwa legalis 2000 or Shimano Sedona 1000 spooled with 150m of 6 or 8lb braid would be a awesome allrounder that would within you’re budget of around $200 maybe a bit more if you include the braid I recommend daiwa J braid x8 and X4 both great braids

5 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Atomic arrows bream surface rod it’s a 7 foot rod 1.5-3.5kg so it covers most common estuary applications I found the rod is best with 2.5 inch plastics and surface lures but goes well with small vibes and crank baits to also using bait is good . Price I got mine for $112 but are most common around $130 if you keep a eye out you can even score then for under $100 and it’s well worth it to . Great rod for small fish like whiting and bream but can decent size flathead 

reels I would go with would be . Shimano Sedona 1000 or 2000 which retail around $99 or a daiwa legalis 2000 which retails for around $110 

the Sedona has a slighter better gear set and is more rigid then the legalis but the legalis does have a better drag but I’ve found the Sedona drag to be fine there isn’t much in it. both reels are pretty similar in performance . So if you like daiwa reels go for the legalis if you like shimano reels go for the Sedona both are great options .line I would go with 6 or 8lb braid and generally use a leader of 6lb for bream and whiting but you could step it up to 8-12lb leader for flatties and bass . Hope that helps

Helps a lot. Thanks mate

@FadKing, you will be very happy with any of those options. I don’t know what gear your BIL has been lending you, so I don’t know if you are used to a fibreglass rod or a composite rod like those mentioned above. If you haven’t used a composite rod, just be a bit careful with it because although they are remarkably strong if used properly it is easy to snap them if you don’t use them correctly. Don’t “highstick” the rod and if you are changing bait/lure, don’t pull the line down parallel to the rod. Sorry if you already know this stuff. Plenty of info on YouTube about correct use of a composite carbon/graphite rod. Enjoy your new gear and welcome to the expensive hobby of tackle collection. You will be hooked soon and wondering where all your spare cash has gone!

16 minutes ago, FadKing said:

So basically at the prices now. Need soonish as we are going camping in 2 weeks

Revros Setup $229

Legalis/Atomic Setup $258

Sedona/Atomic Setup $248

No offence to @ellicatIt will be definitely be worth the extra $20 for the atomic setup the revros rods are decent rods I own a similar rods but I don’t think they work as a allrounder as well as the arrowz does and I haven’t used a revros reel but from my understanding of the reel it won’t be as good as the Sedona for the price. Up to you at the end of the day both are great setup’s buy what feels right for you 

15 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

@FadKing, you will be very happy with any of those options. I don’t know what gear your BIL has been lending you, so I don’t know if you are used to a fibreglass rod or a composite rod like those mentioned above. If you haven’t used a composite rod, just be a bit careful with it because although they are remarkably strong if used properly it is easy to snap them if you don’t use them correctly. Don’t “highstick” the rod and if you are changing bait/lure, don’t pull the line down parallel to the rod. Sorry if you already know this stuff. Plenty of info on YouTube about correct use of a composite carbon/graphite rod. Enjoy your new gear and welcome to the expensive hobby of tackle collection. You will be hooked soon and wondering where all your spare cash has gone!

Thanks for this info. No I didn't know this

14 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

No offence to @ellicatIt will be definitely be worth the extra $20 for the atomic setup the revros rods are decent rods I own a similar rods but I don’t think they work as a allrounder as well as the arrowz does and I haven’t used a revros reel but from my understanding it’s basically a slightly different version of the aird for the price of the revros i would rather buy a sedona and know that I longer lasting gear set that’s the main difference I’ve found using shimano and daiwa reels . Daiwa reels feel amazing at first then after awhile they start to lose their smoothness and their bail arms are generally not that rigid . Shimano reels don’t feel the greatest at first still really smooth but after awhile that get smoother and have less start up 

One of the blokes at work said to look at the Shimano Sahara reel. Bit more drag apparently.

G’day FadKing

Welcome to the site. I’ll be interested to hear what you choose and hopefully we will hear some tales of your trips!

In my opinion, a good rod would be an Ugly Stik, around the 6”6’ - 7”mark. This will be sensitive enough to flick about some types of lures (especially spinnerbaits, larger soft plastics, and hardbodies, but no too small) and great for bait fishing for your species. They are extremely durable, and won’t snap from a bump, hit, whack, which is a benefit. You can pick them up for around $100. 

A good reel, if you want to go cheaper, would be a Sienna 2500. It may not last as long, but with simple maintenance, such as wiping it down after fishing, you should get a good life out of it. The next reel I could think of is a Diawa Shinobi, which is a bit up in price (still under $100 I believe). They have a nice drag and cast nicely, but aren’t the lightest or most ‘finesse’ reel. Finally, a Shimano Nasci would be the third thing I will suggest. They have nice drag, and are very smooth. I love mine, and this one is still around the $100 mark.

In terms of line, I’d go simple. It’s trickier to learn to fish with braid, so I’d just spool it up with 10LB mono, which doesn’t cost much and is easy to learn with.

Hope that helps, 

Cheers Hamish

Hey @FadKing 

I was a beginner a short time ago (still am really - thanks for the tips above @Old Scaley).  I would really strongly suggest braid not mono (sorry Hamish).  Also own two and have used a couple of other Daiwa Reels and have a Shimano Nasci.  I would definitely recommend the Shimano.  I am in love with my Nasci!

cheers Kat

1 minute ago, Kat said:

p.s. I find it much easier to fish with braid.  But i started with braid so maybe it is because I don't know any different.

cheers kat

Hi Kat

The only reason I suggest start with mono is because it’s cheaper, so doesn’t matter if you get snagged a bit more, or loose some, and also because it’s easier with knots. You don’t have to try and tie leader knots every time, which can be tricky to learn.

Obviously, @FadKing, apologies if you can do all this stuff. It’s just a fair bit easier to learn with mono line!

Cheers Hamish

No that is false the only difference between the Sedona and the Sahara is a ball bearing and different colour it’s not worth the extra $20 for a ball bearing and the only difference between the Sahara and the nasci is that the nasci is the same as the Sahara but the nasci has core protect which means it has a few minor seals to protect against water but it you dunk you’re reel core protect won’t help much hope that helps 

If you are after one that is dunk resistant then have a look at a Penn SSVI BX 2500, it is more expensive at about $150, I have 4 of the Liveliner versions of the Spinfishers and the 2500 size is the smallest,   the 2500 is available in the  BX model or as a Liveliner version (LL). I have mine attached to a light Ugly stik which are quite tough rods but you can use these on any rods.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Penn-Spinfisher-2500-SSVI-Spinning-Reel-New-2018/143033626106?epid=12025443229&hash=item214d77edfa:g:UdwAAOSwULpf~Qqt

On 01/02/2021 at 5:19 PM, FadKing said:

Thanks for this info. No I didn't know this

One of the blokes at work said to look at the Shimano Sahara reel. Bit more drag apparently.

6 hours ago, FadKing said:

@Breaming with bro there seems to be limited to none in stock of the bream surface in Brisbane but can get the Atomic Estuary rod in 1 piece

Much difference and is a there advantage to a 1 or 2 piece rod.?

I haven’t had any issues with my 2 piece rod the advantage to a 1 piece rod is it’s surpose to have a more responsive blank but the blank on my 2pc rod feels better then some 1pc rods around similar price range so I wouldn’t say there is Hugh difference in use between a 1pc and a 2pc rod. I’m not sure how versatile the estuary rod by atomic arrows but I know it’s great for hardbodie lures and plastics some people use them with bait to people mainly use them for flathead but they work pretty decent on whiting and bream from what I’ve heard and seen

19 minutes ago, FadKing said:

Would love a Nasci and an Atomic rod but feel I’m now getting out there in price.

Whats better, sacrificing rod or reel in price.
eg Nasci or Sedona vs Atomic or cheaper rod

Well personally, if you say you aren't going to be fishing too much, I'd go for the cheaper rod and reel. It should feel similar, and when it's not being used it won't have blown the bank, if you know what I'm saying.

Though, if you go the dearer one, it will feel or most likely be a bit nicer. An option would be to try them out in the tackle store and see how they feel in your hands. Then you can decided from there.

Cheers Hamish

10 hours ago, Ed. said:

Personally I think that most reels and rods that you can buy will land fish (within reason) even the cheap K'Mart gear, the thing is how well they do it, how long they will last and more importantly how good they feel in your hand, I generally will pay a bit more for a better and suitable setup, and then I should be able to use it for many decades without issues. For me paying $250 up front instead of $200 isn't that much of a stretch to go for a better quality or for a nicer setup, however paying double that amount I really would have to justify it.

An extra $50 which will be spread out over 10 or so years is only $5 a year, not really a major dealbreaker for me. Having said that I would hate to spend $200 to buy a cheaper setup to save on the cost and hate using it every time I went fishing because it didn't feel right. Believe me when I say you will spend a lot of time pondering your choices whilst waiting for a bite and it will gnaw at you. Find the setup that feels right that will do the job and if it costs an extra $50 or so, then so be it, you will enjoy it much more in the long run. Just my 2 cents worth.

I remember some of the reels and rods I started fishing with 45 years ago and looking back they were nowhere near as good  as the equivalent gear available today, and yet I still caught heaps of fish, but today's gear is so much nicer to fish with. 😉

100% agree. I guess before I found this site I looked at some combos online and thought it was a good place to be. 

I could stretch the budget ok but I guess I also don't to be in it heaps of $$$ and end up never using it..... My username should explain that hahahaha