The spit rock wall Gold Coast

Hey guys want to go and fish the rock wall at the spit , Gold Coast obviously not the part that’s under construction atm but the part down the road more anyway I’m not really experienced when it comes to lures or anything so was wondering if I can throw some pilchards out and would catch some decent stuff , or any other bait suggestions ? Thanks

36 minutes ago, ShellVpowerRacing said:

Hey guys want to go and fish the rock wall at the spit , Gold Coast obviously not the part that’s under construction atm but the part down the road more anyway I’m not really experienced when it comes to lures or anything so was wondering if I can throw some pilchards out and would catch some decent stuff , or any other bait suggestions ? Thanks

Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum.

It can be a great spot for a fish. By all means have a go with pilchards. It can be very productive but hard to do mid tide as the current is pretty ferocious at times. Pick high and low and if you can time a high or a low at dawn or dusk you are in with a good chance. 

Don't be afraid to cast our some slugs as well especially in any foamy bits. You can get lots of things doing this including Tailor, Trevally, Jewfish and Flathead. 

Other lure options include micro jigs and soft plastics to name a few. 

Give it a go and let us know how you go. 

The seaway is like a lucky dip. There's all sorts of things in there. I heard of a whale coming in there a few years ago. 

I fish the pipe line in my boat. That runs across the seaway about where the tower is .There's a sign saying where it is. If you can get live bait is best but a whole pilchard as far out as you can get is worth a try. I find one hour before and after tide change is best. And like Drop Bear says the current can be pretty ferocious. I wouldn't be going out to the end this week end tho. Mite get washed away. Another option is the sand pumping jetty. Cost about $5 

15 hours ago, ShellVpowerRacing said:

Hey ShellVpowerRacing

Welcome to the forum. I’ve never done too much there, except on a charter. We catch live herring, and have caught everything from jewfish, trevally, and cod, to bream and grassies!

I’ve also heard that you can get some Pelagius, such as Tailor and Mackerel, spinning slugs. The rougher day the better apparently. The Sand Pumping Jetty is supposed to have lots of Tailor, but gets pretty crowded!

Cheers Hamish

P.S. @mark brown

Top Right Side -> Create -> Topic -> Classified -> And then go from there.

Cheers Hamish