Sand Crabbing tips central/northern Moreton bay

Hweebe

Finally got around to repairing the netting on my crab pots from the last time I tried crabbing (pots shredded by small sharks)

Any tips or trips regarding depths and or general Locations in Moreton bay to try for some sandies?

Ideally somewhere between manly and rous to soak while I fish for the day.

Not really sure what depths I should explore or contours / holes Or the like that I should look for.

That is a good read, but it raises 2 questions for me. He mentions an area at the mouth of the Brisbane River that is closed to crabbing. Anyone know where that might be? And he says he cooks his crabs (cleaned) for 2.30 minutes. I have always cooked sandies for 5 to 7 minutes once the water returns to the boil and always clean my crabs first. They always taste great, but am I overlooking them?

6 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

That is a good read, but it raises 2 questions for me. He mentions an area at the mouth of the Brisbane River that is closed to crabbing. Anyone know where that might be? And he says he cooks his crabs (cleaned) for 2.30 minutes. I have always cooked sandies for 5 to 7 minutes once the water returns to the boil and always clean my crabs first. They always taste great, but am I overlooking them?

Do you clean them first? 

5 - 7 whole sounds good 2-3 cleaned sounds good.

12 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Finally got around to repairing the netting on my crab pots from the last time I tried crabbing (pots shredded by small sharks)

Any tips or trips regarding depths and or general Locations in Moreton bay to try for some sandies?

Ideally somewhere between manly and rous to soak while I fish for the day.

Not really sure what depths I should explore or contours / holes Or the like that I should look for.

Only tip I will give is to always put fresh baits in the pots. 

We used to soak them over near the Rouse for about 30 mins then check them and throw them back in somewhere else. We never really caught anything after we put them back in until we replaced the baits with new ones. 30 mins is heaps and you will catch heaps more this way rather than letting them soak for hours. 

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Only tip I will give is to always put fresh baits in the pots. 

We used to soak them over near the Rouse for about 30 mins then check them and throw them back in somewhere else. We never really caught anything after we put them back in until we replaced the baits with new ones. 30 mins is heaps and you will catch heaps more this way rather than letting them soak for hours. 

That’s a good tip with the fresh bait per drop. Did u also relocate the pots as well in he process?

Good article that one @jon. I noticed after we got that heavy rain a while back that one of the pros in the bay had his pots in the deep channel on the eastern side of the Hope Banks, so obviously deep is the go sometimes. Still not sure I'd want to crab in 25m of water - that's alot of rope!! 

I am extremely guilty of just chucking in on my way to go fishing and 'hoping' I'll catch some. I guess it's like fishing - you need to put the time in to learn the patterns and find where they are.

6 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good article that one @jon. I noticed after we got that heavy rain a while back that one of the pros in the bay had his pots in the deep channel on the eastern side of the Hope Banks, so obviously deep is the go sometimes. Still not sure I'd want to crab in 25m of water - that's alot of rope!! 

I am extremely guilty of just chucking in on my way to go fishing and 'hoping' I'll catch some. I guess it's like fishing - you need to put the time in to learn the patterns and find where they are.

This time of year is definitely worth trying some deeper channels, just throw a paver in there if your worried about current but less pots to contend with aswell

16 hours ago, Hweebe said:

That’s a good tip with the fresh bait per drop. Did u also relocate the pots as well in he process?

Yep but not too far. perhaps 100m? 

We would do a few drifts for whiting then check pots, rebait and go get some more whiting. 

We would often get a dozen or so fairly quickly. 

We were working in around the 4 to 5 m of water mark but I think they move around so worth trying most places. They seemed to like the weed on the bottom similar to the whiting. 

oily fish or frames.  mac tuna, mackerel, tailor and mullet all work well.  mullet frames can be purchased for cheap at certain fishos and they work a treat.  i tend to keep any bycatch from the day (grinners or other trash fish) and replace as i check them.

the eastern side of mud island in 6-10m of water is usually a good producer.