Coombabah Creek & Lake

Bood

Hey Hamish.  You are right I live right by the creek and it is my usual haunt.  Flatties, bug whiting and big Bream.  Huge puffer fish and apparently catfish but I have never caught one.  Oh and Mangrove Jack's.  Again I have not caught one but also not targeted them.  I replied to Broods message but haven't heard whether he had any luck.

Cheers Kat

On 13/02/2021 at 7:26 AM, Andrew_P said:

Downstream of the lake is ok. Just watch out for the closed waters as per Fisheries Qld website

9BF76164-4452-47FD-9620-06762F40C19D.jpeg

Hi Andrew where did u find this information and how recent is it? As it contradicts the app that fisheries have. Just curious as i have looked on daf webpage and unable to locate this information... 

trying to work out how acute the app is for information 

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/fisheries/recreational/recreational-fishing-rules/closed-seasons-waters/waters-tidal

updated September 2020. The lake is a Fisheries Closure as well as a MBMP green zone. They are two separate things that both prohibit fishing. The creek upstream from the lake does not appear to be a green zone but is closed to fishing under the Fisheries Act. You can fish downstream of the lake in Coombabah Creek. 
I would always trust the website/most recent rec fishing guide over the app. 

• 2 years later...

Has anyone else ever seen a huge groper in Coombabah Creek? we were kayaking on the full moon 8/9 pm and saw a VERY large fish feeding on the bottom not far from the van park. It was very placid, swam towards us and interacted with my underwater light. It was very large, blubbery, and the back half of the fish was above water. A friend believes it may have been a groper,  but I'm not convinced. The one time neither of us had our camera. Any ideas?