Mounting an electric motor

Gazza1959

Does anyone have any experience with the Watersnake Geo-Spot GPS 65LB Bow Mount Motor White 65 lb.
Thinking of getting one for my Stacer 444.
Have realised that to fit any bow mount trolling motor I haven't got enough room because of the windscreen but thought I could mount it so it folded down into the opening of the windscreen and use a rope to attach to the locking mechanism to raise it for access.
Any thoughts on the general idea and the motor itself would be appreciated

I am not familiar with that motor, but it looks similar to a Minn Kota in the locking mechanism. I doubt your idea would be successful for a couple of reasons. To release the motor you need to press down on a lever arrangement and I can’t see a rope being able to do that. Secondly, having the head unit and a fair length of shat coming through the break in the windscreen will make it uncomfortable and almost impossible to easily deploy your normal anchor.

@ellicat‘s idea might work but looks a bit awkward. And you would have to mount it on the other side of the boat because of the direction the shaft goes when you pull it up to stow. Don’t forget the unit is probably at least 1.7 metres long so if you mounted it on an angle like that  it may be protruding outside the line of your gunnels - not a great idea. 

Do you have bow rails up front? Do you already have a mounting bracket? If you do, that will give a clue as to how the manufacturer saw the installation going. If you are buying through a dealer, ask them for advice. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people mount their trolling motors angled straight back (which looks as if it would be obstructed by the windscreen) while others choose to mount it so that the shaft goes diagonally back (so it doesn't take up as much deck space / avoid obstructions) which may work to clear the windscreen. As old scaley mentioned deployment is generally done by a pressing a lever which might be difficult to access in your case. Stowing is usually done by grabbing the head of the unit and pulling it up which I would think would be even harder. Not sure if the watersnake has a auto deploy option, although I suspect that might blow out the price.

Is that a hatch at the front you can pop up through to access the unit to deploy/stow?