How do you use Gumtree?

GregOug

Hi all,

Can anyone out there enlighten me about buying things on Gumtree please?

If the seller is interstate, how do you pay for the goods? Do you just have to pay them and trust the item is as described when it arrives? I noticed that you can now link your PayPal account to your Gumtree account, which I have done. But I presume the seller has to have done likewise otherwise it won’t work? How do you pay otherwise? Directly into their bank account?

Also, does anyone know which companies transport rods (in this case 7 feet in length) interstate? 

cheers

Greg

Be very careful with how you make a payment. I agreed to buy an GoPro + post, did a bank transfer. Well, the cops who answered his phone (after a week of trying to call) informed me he owed a loooooot of people go pros...

Use PayPal is safest way but DO NOT make it as a “friends/family” payment/transfer as this isn’t covered under their policy.

Having said that there are genuine and good people on there, but there is a reason it’s called “scumtree”

28 minutes ago, Licespray said:

Be very careful with how you make a payment. I agreed to buy an GoPro + post, did a bank transfer. Well, the cops who answered his phone (after a week of trying to call) informed me he owed a loooooot of people go pros...

Use PayPal is safest way but DO NOT make it as a “friends/family” payment/transfer as this isn’t covered under their policy.

Having said that there are genuine and good people on there, but there is a reason it’s called “scumtree”

27 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Shippit (Part of Allied Express) send rods and also provide tracking.

Pay with Paypal so you have recourse if it doesn't arrive or is not as described. Transit Insurance is your responsibility.

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. If he doesn’t want to use PayPal I won’t buy it. And I’ll check with Shippit on Monday as to procedure and costs.