Baitcasters are easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oztrav

So everyone always tells me that baitcasters are hard to learn well everyone that is too scared to use them

guess what they are all big liarssure the cheap ones are hard to use but i bought an echelon reel today

not expensive but not cheap and nasty and got the hang of it in about 4 casts once you got the knobs all dialled in it really is easy and takes less effort then spinning gear.

just thought id let yous know

Kev has 23lb Varivas braid and it looks and feels about the same as 8lb Platypus super braid. costs about $80 for a reel of it though.

I know what you're saying about expensive gear. I've seen Kev using his 17lb Loomis and MG7 baitcaster casting 1/16 on 23lb line across to the other side of Schultz.

He'll be glad I told everyone that.:laugh:

But remember, you could spend $1000 plus on that sort of gear or just get a $50 spinning combo which will cast just as far :P

Anyway, I also rekon that baitcasters are easy to handle. I prefer using my spinning gear for stuff under 5grams, but I find baitcasters to be more accurate.

Feral: I agree the 20lb fireline would be your problem. The first way to fix this is never buy GSP (fireline) for baitcasters. It is pretty stiff. I always use proper Braid on my baitcasters. Get something like Tuf Line ($29-36 for 150m, from BCF) and you'll be sweet. I've got 15lb Tuf Line on my baitcaster and I can cast lures down to 4grams easily, and I can manage some 3grams lures as well.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Feral: I agree the 20lb fireline would be your problem. The first way to fix this is never buy GSP (fireline) for baitcasters. It is pretty stiff. I always use proper Braid on my baitcasters. .

I was actually using 15lb spiderwire, but decided to turn it around on the spare spool as it was copping a bit of wear. Forgot I had 20lb firewire under that Ferg had given me as backing! So it ended up on top! As I was taking it to theodore to just practice casting it I was not to worried about it.

I agree that the more you spend on baitcasters, the easier they are to cast. On my trip to Darwin earlier this year, I got to have a few casts of my Dad's mate's $1000 baitcast outfit.:woohoo: I hadn't used a baitcaster for about 2 years prior to that and yet it cast like a dream. You could control it with a feather! Ordinary people can't afford that sort of gear though! I'm sure you could get a outfit for $200-$300 that would give you 90% of the performance of the big $$$ gear though.

Reels should be like cars, you should be able to test drive them before you buy. I mainly use shimano and over the years have only had one dud, it was a calyx with 4bb. I could only use this for heavy lures or for dropping baits and that is with all the brakes off.

B/casters and spin reels has been argued and argued over the years, in my opinion its up to the user and no one else.

When fishing from the bank out at the dam, I never take a b/caster. But the minute I get in my tinny the first rod in is a b/caster, thats my pref.

One to think about, when casting from a spin outfit the reel doesn't move,but the b/caster does. Which one will wear out first. Short accurate casts shouldn't do much harm. The decision is yours.

Dino

it seems someone hates me a lot. if so, give me a message instead of taking my karma while i didn't say anything wrong.

hi AZZA. it all depends on what lures, what set up with and what condition when u r casting.

for a general nice 6-12lb set up, u can possibly cast a 6grms well balanced (or with weight shifting system) minnow 30meters. or a 10grms slug 40-50meters.

casting anything less than 4grms is a bit hard and the best i can do is around 25m.

Me thinks I should shanghi kevinchen19830316 out in my tinny for a few casting lessons, I only manage about 10to15m with a b52 on the end.Combo is a pflueger echelon,shimano sonic 6to8kg 5'6\" with 50lb cajun braid any hints or tips for more distance most welcome thanks

The reel is good for casting, but the line might be too heavy and the rod wouldn't be \"whippy\" enough at that weight.

But you'll be able to master it soon. Like all things \"Practise makes Perfect\". Try casting with different amounts of mechanical braking (knob on side) and magnetic braking (\"wheel\" on side)

Just keep at it and you'll be right:)

Archived