Accomodation with boat parking | Mooloolaba & Hervey Bay

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey!

Hope I have put this in the right forum category - apologies if not!

I'm really wanting to do more weekend getaways from Brisbane up to Mooloolaba (due to it's opening to the ocean) and up to Hervey bay.

I'm really struggling to find air bnbs / any accommodation that has a safe place to park the 6.3m boat, let alone somewhere to park that has power to charge the 36v minn kota battery setup, and ideally a place to wash down the boat (now I'm getting picky! But worried about rust, given my post recently about rust on my new trailer).

Does anyone know of any good accommodation that might be suitable up that way? I have tried the boat harbour apartments in Hervey bay but there wasn't anywhere with power and they were building a new set of buildings which look to take up a chunk of the trailer parking.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Does anyone know of any good accommodation that might be suitable up that way? I have tried the boat harbour apartments in Hervey bay but there wasn't anywhere with power and they were building a new set of buildings which look to take up a chunk of the trailer parking.

Thanks!

I stayed at Boat Harbour Resort in Hervey Bay for my last trip late last year. Yes they are building an additional villa however there should still be space for 1-2 boat trailers onsite. I made sure to advise reception beforehand that I would require onsite boat trailer parking. They had a hose to washdown and flush.

I don't have an electric but I think if you ask they may have options. A gentlemen who owned one of the villas was charging his Minn Kota by running an extension cord from the downstairs villa to his tinnie. Perhaps you could request a villa opposite the grass trailer parking area to run the electric cord?

As for washdown - If you get stuck - drive in self serve car washes are pretty much everywhere and may work in a bind, although I prefer mains pressure (more water flow) compared to a pressure washer. Outboard flush with a large flexible bucket.

At least this helps reduce one criteria you need to look for and just need a power source.

Any powered caravan site is also a good option to charge the electric, although you would then need a self contained unit near by?

5 hours ago, Hweebe said:

I stayed at Boat Harbour Resort in Hervey Bay for my last trip late last year. Yes they are building an additional villa however there should still be space for 1-2 boat trailers onsite. I made sure to advise reception beforehand that I would require onsite boat trailer parking. They had a hose to washdown and flush.

I don't have an electric but I think if you ask they may have options. A gentlemen who owned one of the villas was charging his Minn Kota by running an extension cord from the downstairs villa to his tinnie. Perhaps you could request a villa opposite the grass trailer parking area to run the electric cord?

As for washdown - If you get stuck - drive in self serve car washes are pretty much everywhere and may work in a bind, although I prefer mains pressure (more water flow) compared to a pressure washer. Outboard flush with a large flexible bucket.

At least this helps reduce one criteria you need to look for and just need a power source.

Any powered caravan site is also a good option to charge the electric, although you would then need a self contained unit near by?

Thanks @Hweebe that's good to know.

If I can't find anything else worth giving a go I will try the boat harbour resort again. The staff were friendly, room was nice and it's very close to the boat ramp. It just felt a bit awkward when I asked how I can plug my charger in - it was like they had never had the question before, and I felt a bit awkward using a tap that was connected to one of the live-in resident's villas (Which was offered by the staff, just felt odd messing around near peoples property).  I also managed to get a flat tire because there were screws left around from the building site (which wasn't the staff's fault, it just soured the trip along with a few other nightmarish things that occurred)

Funnily enough I actually hadn't considered a self service car wash - that might be the go if I can find one that's not enclosed (need at 3.5m clearence for boat)

@Drop Bear thanks for those two suggestions, will check those out!

1 hour ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

I felt a bit awkward using a tap that was connected to one of the live-in resident's villas (Which was offered by the staff, just felt odd messing around near peoples property). 

I think they have sorted that out at least - New tap and hose reel has been installed out on the grass area. I found it surprisingly difficult to find online information for accommodation with boat trailer parking in hervey bay....seems like something the marketing people don't really consider as a selling point.

(Which was offered by the staff, just felt odd messing around near peoples property).  I also managed to get a flat tire because there were screws left around from the building site (which wasn't the staff's fault, it just soured the trip along with a few other nightmarish things that occurred)

I had the same experience - staff were nice. But  one of the residents seemed in general annoyed with the activity pre / post fishing (rigging / washing down / noise) and a complaint was made to me that the bins were too smelly from disposed spotty mackerel fish frames - they requested i use the park bin across the road 🤨. I wasn't like i was at home and could compost the frames.

Funnily enough I actually hadn't considered a self service car wash - that might be the go if I can find one that's not enclosed (need at 3.5m clearence for boat)

You will find most car wash self wash bays have good clearance for the 3.5m to cater for mini trucks - (I often see the coles / woollies delivery drivers wash out there vehicles there)

On 25/02/2021 at 3:53 PM, Hweebe said:

I think they have sorted that out at least - New tap and hose reel has been installed out on the grass area. I found it surprisingly difficult to find online information for accommodation with boat trailer parking in hervey bay....seems like something the marketing people don't really consider as a selling point.

I had the same experience - staff were nice. But  one of the residents seemed in general annoyed with the activity pre / post fishing (rigging / washing down / noise) and a complaint was made to me that the bins were too smelly from disposed spotty mackerel fish frames - they requested i use the park bin across the road 🤨. I wasn't like i was at home and could compost the frames.

You will find most car wash self wash bays have good clearance for the 3.5m to cater for mini trucks - (I often see the coles / woollies delivery drivers wash out there vehicles there)

That's great to know about the new tap - what a relief.

I know exactly what you mean about the difficulty of finding info about which accomodation have trailer parking, you're so right it's not something that's pushed as a selling point. A missed opportunity really, considering how many tourists come to hervey bay for boating.

Some people can be so sour - I'm sure it's better having some boaties staying making a little noise when preparing / washing up than having drunks making noise trashing the place.