Towing behind a kayak

Jono4500

Was thinking in this modern world, surely there's a device for towing extra cargo behind a kayak, anyone know of 1? My yaks rated for 180kg and have a few overnight trips in mind. Im confident i can cut my gear back to make the weight (im a trim 110kg) but was curious as to other options. Have a few ideas to make 1 up myself. Googleing kayak trailer is obviously showing the land based wheeled transporter.

I quite often do an overnighter on my kayak (hobie outback, 180kg capacity). I have no trouble getting a minimal camping kit in the hull with fishing gear and esky. Still come in well under the max weight even with all my pie, kfc and bourbon weight added in.  hiking camping gear is great for this, compact and lightweight and there’s actually a surprising amount of space inside the hull.

I have towed a second kayak from time to time - sometimes with crab pots on it and sometimes with my partner when she gets bored with paddling. The drag isn’t a huge issue when it’s light but if you load it up it really slows you down - especially into the current.

10 hours ago, benno573 said:

I quite often do an overnighter on my kayak (hobie outback, 180kg capacity). I have no trouble getting a minimal camping kit in the hull with fishing gear and esky. Still come in well under the max weight even with all my pie, kfc and bourbon weight added in.  hiking camping gear is great for this, compact and lightweight and there’s actually a surprising amount of space inside the hull.

I have towed a second kayak from time to time - sometimes with crab pots on it and sometimes with my partner when she gets bored with paddling. The drag isn’t a huge issue when it’s light but if you load it up it really slows you down - especially into the current.

ive always been concerned about the added stress it might put on my mirage drive by towing my wife...im guessing its not actually that bad by the sounds of it then?

12 hours ago, christophagus said:

ive always been concerned about the added stress it might put on my mirage drive by towing my wife...im guessing its not actually that bad by the sounds of it then?

Not really mate. Use a decent length of rope with a bit of stretch in it to allow for a bit of give if it’s a bit choppy. Just go with “cruise” speed not flat out and you’ll be sweet.

12 hours ago, benno573 said:

Not really mate. Use a decent length of rope with a bit of stretch in it to allow for a bit of give if it’s a bit choppy. Just go with “cruise” speed not flat out and you’ll be sweet.

has to be long enough so you cannot hear any "constructive criticism" 100m should do the trick 😆