Durras North Beach on South Coast NSW is a good fishing area

KhalidMSyed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Khalid, Thanks for sharing! Mai I ask what and how you re using to attach your line to the drone please. any information will be appreciated. 

I have Several DJI drones, a Phantom3 4K, Phantom4 Pro and a mavic Pro.  attaching your rig it looked quite simple, could you please explain it ?

Cheer's,

Brett.

10 hours ago, BrettJ said:

Hi Khalid, Thanks for sharing! Mai I ask what and how you re using to attach your line to the drone please. any information will be appreciated. 

I have Several DJI drones, a Phantom3 4K, Phantom4 Pro and a mavic Pro.  attaching your rig it looked quite simple, could you please explain it ?

Cheer's,

Brett.

The drop mechanism of my drone is home made and very simple. I bought one of these kitchen wall hooks:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/permastik-white-kitchen-hooks-9-pack_p3950421

removed the metal hook from the plastic body and then used a cloth tape (easy to tear with hands) to affix the hook underneath the drone. When the drone is over the drop area, I just rotate the drone around 180 degrees and fly backwards and the rig drops. Simple! See the photo below.

Since DJI drones have proximity sensors, you may have to disable the sensors otherwise the tape/hook might confuse the sensors.

574769302_Hookunderneaththedrone.thumb.png.61568974057b7edb5082a987b7b0bfd7.png

On 21/04/2021 at 2:37 PM, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate.

How do you eat the Salmon. I am not a big fan of eating them but always like to learn new things. 

Thanks mate.

Well, the key to making Salmon more palatable is to bleed it thoroughly. Once cut up into small pieces, I soak the pieces in tap water for 20-30mins to ensure that any remaining blood is removed. We normally marinate Salmon pieces is spicy paste and then deep-fry in oil. The longer you marinate (in fridge) the better it gets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2021 at 8:53 AM, Ed. said:

Definitely a nice spot, thank you for showing it. I have added it to my list of places to visit when I eventually do my road trip.

My pleasure. Happy to be of help.

The attached image shows some fishing spots on Durras North Beach. #1 is the best parking spot if you plan to fish from spots #2 and #4. #5 is the best parking spot when you plan to fish from spots #3 and #6. Note that #6 works best if you have a drone to get your bait past the surf. All other spots work well with manual casting too. Note that gutters and holes are dynamic so cast 10-20m on both sides of the shown spots.

image.thumb.png.80117b116326354f00327888d3fcee9c.png

5 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Wirrah cod are a nice looking fish. How to they go on the plate ?

I had to chuck it back as I could not confirm if it was legal to keep it since it looked too much like another species that is protected. Found out later on that it was Wirrah Cod. I doubt it survived the ordeal as it was badly injured.

15 hours ago, KhalidMSyed said:

I doubt it survived the ordeal as it was badly injured.

Such a great looking spot.

Shame about the cod.  I guess that is a problem with some of our rules. I don't reckon there has been many Mulloway caught at depth that have survived release. Or Spanish for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Such a great looking spot.

Shame about the cod.  I guess that is a problem with some of our rules. I don't reckon there has been many Mulloway caught at depth that have survived release. Or Spanish for that matter. 

Yep, the North end of Durras North Beach is very pretty. There is a small cave too, excellent spot for families with young kids to explore. The internet says:

"The Durras cave is well known to the Durras community. It is amidst the headland on Durras Beach, north of Durras Lake. There were engravings in the cave, but they have worn away by the sand and wind. The cave was still being used during the post contact period. It had a hole through the roof so that the smoke campfires could escape from the cave"

https://moruya.storylines.com.au/2016/10/12/durras-murramarang/

Yeah, hard fighting fish are often injured badly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...