Brisbane River Session #90

AUS-BNE-FISHO

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

Man I know that feeling. Soon after I bought my first bait caster I figured I would pull it apart and give it an oil. (I had never seen the inside of one before. I had stripped plenty of egg beaters and alveys since I was a kid, so I thought "how hard could it be?" and "giving it a squirt of oil will surely make it work better").

Well............I heard a spring go flying past my ear, which I couldn't find in the thick carpet, and it never worked properly again- I wonder why 🙂  So I just stick to threadlines.

Yeah baitcasters a lot more tricky to work on btw what were you oiling on the baitcaster

2 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah baitcasters a lot more tricky to work on btw what were you oiling on the baitcaster

Hi BWB,

it was a long time ago (25 years I guess) and didn't have a clue. I figured I could work it out and failed miserably. I'm now a firm believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it"  and haven't been tempted to look at a bait caster since- I'll stick to simpler reels 🙂

40 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Hi BWB,

it was a long time ago (25 years I guess) and didn't have a clue. I figured I could work it out and failed miserably. I'm now a firm believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it"  and haven't been tempted to look at a bait caster since- I'll stick to simpler reels 🙂

Yes baitcasters are a lot tricker then spinning reels but any shimano reel above the nasci is tricky to take apart and any reel by daiwa above the caldia is pretty tricky to take apart especially the exist LT those reels look like a nightmare to take apart. I think daiwa reels overall are the hardest to take apart and service correctly 

21 hours ago, ellicat said:

Sounds like a tough night on the fishing front.

Yes, sure was Brian. Hopefully I'll be a bit successful next time.

21 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Shame your not getting anything lately hopefully soon the fishing will fire up a bit. I’m always happy to help with reel issues anytime hopefully once you get another support rod/oscillating guide the reel will be back into working order. 

Yeah, I hope so to Bro. I will order the new part ASAP, so hopefully my reel will be back up and running then.

7 hours ago, SuperHans said:

Man I know that feeling. Soon after I bought my first bait caster I figured I would pull it apart and give it an oil. (I had never seen the inside of one before. I had stripped plenty of egg beaters and alveys since I was a kid, so I thought "how hard could it be?" and "giving it a squirt of oil will surely make it work better").

Well............I heard a spring go flying past my ear, which I couldn't find in the thick carpet, and it never worked properly again- I wonder why 🙂  So I just stick to threadlines.

Hi SuperHans. Haha, that must've sucked! One day I will known enough to do my own service on a reel... Baitcasters and Eggbeaters!

Cheers Hamish

7 hours ago, SuperHans said:

You are not alone in that experience, I think that anyone that has serviced a small baitcaster will have had that same experience at some stage 😄.

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hmm. This puts me off ever taking apart a baitcaster. I guess I'll start cheap and go from there.

Cheers Hamish

Once you pull one apart, you should have an idea on how to put it back together again, also if yours has the Belleville washers in it (usually behind the star drag nut), just make sure you put them exactly back the same way.  You can always video record the dis-assembly on your phone, so you can play it back if you're unsure of something.

On 30/03/2021 at 5:30 PM, Ed. said:

Once you pull one apart, you should have an idea on how to put it back together again, also if yours has the Belleville washers in it (usually behind the star drag nut), just make sure you put them exactly back the same way.  You can always video record the dis-assembly on your phone, so you can play it back if you're unsure of something.

Good tips Ed. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

So good to see your persistence mate. 

Cheers @Drop Bear :fishing2:

On 29/03/2021 at 6:17 PM, Breaming with bro said:

Yes baitcasters are a lot tricker then spinning reels but any shimano reel above the nasci is tricky to take apart and any reel by daiwa above the caldia is pretty tricky to take apart especially the exist LT those reels look like a nightmare to take apart. I think daiwa reels overall are the hardest to take apart and service correctly 

I don’t think it’s the taking apart that is tricky. It’s the putting them back together!