WFT Strong braid

Ed.

Just out of interest, has anyone tried this version of the WFT Strong braid, I saw on the Dinga site that their 67kg line is only 0.39mm thick.  If it is true then it is incredibly strong for the diameter, I tried some of the WFT Gliss lines last year and was not impressed by their 18kg line which snapped like cotton trying to pick up  less than 5kg weight off the floor. Is this the same sort of  line or made from some different method of manufacture/composition.

Reason I ask is that I just received a spool of 16 strand from overseas which was supposed to be 110lb 0.4mm and it broke at 30lb so has anyone tried the WTF Strong line.

Personally I haven’t tried it but I know it’s different to Gliss made by the same company but different line . I know a few landbased GT guys use WFT braids and it seems to hold up alright. I think cavy fishing on YouTube has used this braid before too in a few of his videos 

Yep, RustyHooka, Thanks I did see it, I don't mind if the line breaks above the stated line strength as then you know what the limitations are and can adapt to the situation, however  it annoys the hell out of me when it breaks significantly below the stated capacity, if you know the diameter of the line and the braking strain you can always either buy the next line size up to compensate. The last spool I just received was rated at 110lb and it broke at 30lb which to me is false advertising. I even once bought a spool of 80lb Powerpro and it broke at about 60-65lb.

Anyway I placed an order for the 67kg 0.4mm WFT line this morning so will see what happens. I don't need 67kg line if it is indeed the strength but as it is 0.4mm it should fill my spool nicely and hopefully it will break at 36kg or above, which is what I would like in a line. I still have my doubts because of the diameter but you never know. If it does then I will buy some more.

18 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Last year Tackle Tactics bought out Platypus and are now the distributor of the product, I am not sure who owns Tackle Tactics but I have a suspicion that it is an American company that also owns a lot of other manufacturers as well.

I think it was bought by an a guy that used to be South African. They are based and live in Australia. I am a fan of Tackle Tactics. They have sponsored us with prizes for the pest species cup in Logan next weekend. 

Whatever they ownership they manufacture and employ people here in Brisbane. They seem to have great quality goods and seem to do a good service. 

The spool of 67kg WFT Strong was supposed to arrive today but got delayed so hopefully will get it tomorrow, be interesting to find out what it breaks at, although I seriously doubt that it will go more than or even close to 75lb. If it does, I will be happy with it as it will fill my spool with enough line and have a respectable braking strength of double my drag capacity, and this is assuming also that the line diameter of 0.39mm is also correct. 🤔

On 06/04/2021 at 4:32 PM, Ed. said:

The spool of 67kg WFT Strong was supposed to arrive today but got delayed so hopefully will get it tomorrow, be interesting to find out what it breaks at, although I seriously doubt that it will go more than or even close to 75lb. If it does, I will be happy with it as it will fill my spool with enough line and have a respectable braking strength of double my drag capacity, and this is assuming also that the line diameter of 0.39mm is also correct. 🤔

Any updates Ed?

It seems that it has disappeared, didn't get delivered yesterday either, I tried to rang the courier driver directly (answering machine) and left several messages to ring me but still he hasn't done so, rang the parent company Amarex (Fastway)and got an email saying they will look into it and get back to me within 2 business days. As it is Thursday now, I don't expect them to give me any details till Monday next week.

Will ring Dinga and let them know. 😡

1244782701_WFT67KgBraidthickness.thumb.jpg.9ff9b087c713308a3d9e93e550ab3211.jpgJust an update, the WTF 67kg braid finally arrived today and after questioning the driver it appears that the route got changed from  another driver so hence the delay, anyway first thoughts are that it is quite stiff and seems to retain the loops from the spool.

Diameter test: FAIL

Did it a few times to rule out any variation in the line position. Used a Mitutoyo Micronometer 293-330 which is rated to 0.001 of a mm, so I can't be accused of using a dodgy measuring tool.

Measured at 0.495 - 0.515mm so about 20% thicker than what it is listed on the label

Strength test: FAIL

Rigged up a pair of hand barbels with a total weight of 78.98lb. or 35.9Kg. Tied together with rope, then connected to a shackle to which I tied the WFT braided line to and then to another shackle which was connected to a pulley system to the roof in the shed, so there wouldn't be any jerkiness when I tried to pull it up. The line snapped and it wasn't at the knots as you can see in the video. The weights did not even lift off the floor.

(excuse the messy floor in the shed as I haven't got around to cleaning it up for a while).

I can't say I am surprised at the results as I haven't found a braided line that has lived up to the specs that it is advertised at. Maybe the weights here are heavier than weights in the country of manufacture, due to us being "Downunder" so extra gravity? and the Qld humidity made the line thicker! 🤔

Sent the video and pic to Dinga and will see what they say.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

I can't say I am surprised at the results as I haven't found a braided line that has lived up to the specs that it is advertised at. Maybe the weights here are heavier than weights in the country of manufacture, due to us being "Downunder" so extra gravity? and the Qld humidity made the line thicker! 🤔

Yer been eating too many weeties.😁