Newly retired

XFE

Welcome to AFO. Redcliffe jetty and Woody Pt would be somewhere to try. 

If u fit and keen invest in a cast net and gathering fresh bait will be the go on these popular jetties. (Just read signs for when u can or can’t cast net)

Coming up to winter, night time squiding on these jetties are a lot of fun.

Hi XFE

If you're anywhere near the Brisbane River, and you don't mind what you're catching, you could bait up with some prawns or mullet and you'd have a good chance at a catfish or juvenile bull shark. You also have the chance of a bream, cod, flatty, whiting, threadfin salmon, or jewfish, but that depends more on where you're fishing.

You could probably check out Bribie Island too. I don't know how well it fishes in general but I have successfully caught a legal whiting on the beach there (and a couple unders). The good bait was blood worms. I'd assume this would be a relatively easy spot as there is road access. 

Cheers Hamish

What sort of rods/reels do you have I know learning to fish can be overwhelming at first but what sort of fishing gear/equipment  do you have and are there any certain fish speices you would like to catch or techniques you would like to try or are you a complete beginner?

Hi all, appreciate the welcome and advice. Not exactly a beginner, more a lapsed fisherman due to previous work commitments. Have a variety of rods and reels, baitcasters and threadline, and a 5/6 weight fly rod outfit. Happy to soak a bait or be a bit more active with lures,jigs, (or flies for  freshwater). Looking forward to a bit of dry weather and getting out and exploring various options being suggested here. Thanks & Cheers!