Steve.573
Go to solution Solved by Brodie_S,

7 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah it’s a fork tail catfish I caught a few big ones up at the Whitsundays before they go hard for their size although I don’t think they are good eating but I’ve never tried eating them before

Hi Bro

My apologies, as I said this too, but with a bit of a better search, that species is not a Forktail Catfish, but is a Blue Catfish. Forkies tend to be a lot darker in colour, and do not have those light coloured bands.

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Bro

My apologies, as I said this too, but with a bit of a better search, that species is not a Forktail Catfish, but is a Blue Catfish. Forkies tend to be a lot darker in colour, and do not have those light coloured bands.

Cheers Hamish

Scientific name? I thought the main saltwater catfish speices of Australia were Forktail catfish ,striped eel tailed catfish and cobbler I’ve heard of blue catfish which are a American speices of catfish and salmon catfish are a freshwater only speices from my knowledge and look a fair bit different then forkys to me. They must have different names up in Queensland or something cause I couldn’t find any speices that sounded like your description darker then forkys and the light bands on the fish’s stomach area

7 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Scientific name? I thought the main saltwater catfish speices of Australia were Forktail catfish ,striped eel tailed catfish and cobbler I’ve heard of blue catfish which are a American speices of catfish and salmon catfish are a freshwater only speices from my knowledge and look a fair bit different then forkys to me. They must have different names up in Queensland or something cause I couldn’t find any speices that sounded like your description darker then forkys and the light bands on the fish’s stomach area

Hey Bro

Scientific Name is Neoarius australis. The reason I believe it's a Blue Catfish is because these occur in Moreton Bay, and the fins and other description, such as the dorsal spike is shorter than the pectoral spines.

Salmon catfish are not freshwater only fish. Netuma Thalissina can actually grow over three feet!

Cheers Hamish