Kat

5 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Good fish Kat,  they fight hard don't they !!!!!  

Cheers Josh <><

Yes they do.  I was very lucky to be fishing in the territory I was when he took my bait!  No rocks for miles as far as I am aware.  The worst he could have done was head for the mangroves.

Any fish ID gurus out there able to weigh in on what species it is?  Brown Sweetlip (aka blubberlip Bream), Sombre Sweetlip or something else.  Wood be good to ID it before I cut it up for dinner 😸.

@Daryl McPhee ? I know there is another regular out there good with fish IDs but can't recall who. Sorry.

Better photos for ID

IMG_20210414_083056.jpg

IMG_20210414_083114.jpg

IMG_20210414_083118.jpg

28 minutes ago, benno573 said:

brown sweetlips, also known as a brown morwong or brown blubber lips.  referred to as a blubber-lip bream locally in central qld. 

not the most common capture but they show up from time to time around the southern bay/jumpinpin as @Old Scaley would know.  they are OK eating as long as you bleed them and get them straight on ice but will not compare to whiting, flathead etc, much stronger flavour.  They actually grow to nearly three times the size of yours @Kat, up to about 14-15kg.  Often targetted by spearos chasing jacks etc around snags in estuaries.

Both of the ones I have caught and @Old Scaley's one all came on yabbies and whiting gear as well!

and quick but satisfying... that's @ellicat's moto... 😆

Okay and why is it a Brown Sweetlip and not a Sombre Sweetlip?

I have caught 3 blubberlip Bream before and initially that is what I thought it was until the guy I was with said it wasn't and Doug Burt said it wasn't.

What I am asking is how do you differentiate between the two?

4 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Well done Kat! That’s a brown sweetlip Plectorhincus gibbosus. Also known as (one of many) mother in law fish. The story goes they are not the best eating so you give them to your mother in law

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/455

Hi Andrew 

Yes consensus is I was right when I first pulled it from the water!  It is the fourth one I have caught.  Three locally in the Broadwater and creek and one in Moreton Bay.  This was the biggest so far.

Again I don't know what everyone is thinking about them being bad to eat.  All three previously caught were eaten by me and family and I can barely tell the difference between that and a Grassie Sweetlip!

However I am not expecting much from the bigger model.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers Katrina

On 14/04/2021 at 3:08 PM, Kat said:

Okay and why is it a Brown Sweetlip and not a Sombre Sweetlip?

I have caught 3 blubberlip Bream before and initially that is what I thought it was until the guy I was with said it wasn't and Doug Burt said it wasn't.

What I am asking is how do you differentiate between the two?

According to my bible (grants guide) the sombre sweetlips, also known as sooty blubber lips have 11-12 strong dorsal spines whereas the brown sweetlips have 14. This appears to match to your photo.

The photos in grants guide show quite different shaped fish in general as well.  🤷‍♂️