Heading up to Five Rocks in Byfield

Dos100

Hey Folks,
Hope everyone is well today.

Looking to head up to Five Rocks in the coming weeks due to some very welcomed and unexpected time off work coming about for a mate and I.
Will be towing my 4.5 centre console tinnie, brand new motor on the back, with my mates GQ Patrol.

Always been keen to get up there and check out the area myself but wondering if anyone has any pointers?
Can suggest accomodation?
Tackle advice?
Any suitable reefs to chase that aren't to wide?
How hectic are the 4wd tracks this time of year?
And of course how many beers to take along! 

Cheers in advance! 

- Dos

Hey man just make sure your tyres on car and boat trailer are down the hill half way through is tough. I went through in 2019 and it had been rained on a week or so before I had the 1HZ 80 series on 20psi and I ended up dropping to 16 as it was like powder on the hill. Great place amazing fishing off the rocks at bottom of beach. I fished from farnborough beach (Yeppoon) for 10 weeks at the mouth of the river and got blue salmon, queens, massive dart and bream in the waves. 

Can’t help with the reefs as I only ever fished land based. Proper sand 4x4 tracks up there. If it has been dry for a while and lots of traffic (school hols and 2 x long weekends) the tracks can be a real challenge. Low pressures and a bit of momentum and you should be ok. There’s great fishing off the rocky headlands around there (including the actual five rocks), you’ll get you usual bread and butter stuff but also occasional fingermark, cod, queenies, trevally and mackerel if you are lucky. At a guess I’d suggest trolling wide of the headlands for mackerel and other speedsters, I am confident the structure won’t stop at the waters edge. I’m sure if you stop in at Barra Jack’s in rockhampton and make a few purchases they will have some better advice for you too. 

Very few reefs, the bottom is all sand, so working off the headlands is the best option, especially just out from 5 rocks point itself. The odd spanish pass through there as do cobia at times. What rubble you find on the bottom off the points will yield Trout, Cod, Stripeys, Grunter and the odd Finger Mark. Queenfish and school mackerel around the rocks.

Hey Dos100

Best of luck with fishing. Another option is the creek fishing. I was there and caught some half decent whiting, cod, grunter, and bream out of the creek in one day not knowing what I was doing. Keep an eye out for any big exposed rocks. We saw one barely jutting out at high tide with looked like a croc head then at low tide realised how much trouble we would've been in if we hit it!

Cheers Hamish